cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z790 Hero 0904 Upgrade issue

Sinner37
Level 9

Hi all,

on bios 0813, ME Firmware .2124.  Trying to upgrade to 0904.  Downloaded and unzipped, copied to root of a Firecuda nvme.  Bios updated from 0703 to 0813 fine,  but when trying to upgrade to 0816 my CPU and GPU started overheating like crazy.  Downgraded back to 0703.  Re-upgraded to 0813, noticed a couple days later that 0904 was out so I downloaded.

First thing I noticed was the website reported it was 11.3 (approx) MB, yet the file is 33KB.  I have tried downloading on multiple computers and each file is the same.  When I try to use the bios I get the error "This is not a valid bios upgrade file" I believe was the error if not it was very close in wording then bios update program exits.

Thank You for any insight you can provide.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Works.  Not sure why but windows integrated unzip was the problem.  Used winrar and it's installing.  Might need to do an sfc scan and see if something in windows fubar.

Thanks for help

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Saltgrass
Level 13

You may have some type of corruption or some other system particular problem.  I used 0813 fine and 0904 also installed and is running normally.  There were several reboots during that process.

Do you go back after each Bios update and revalidate your settings for the firmware?

The .CAP file is 32.772 KBs.  The zipped file is 11,542 KBs.  They do ask for you to verify the download, so if you did not do that, you might now.

Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Sinner37
Level 9

I'll look into it.  I can upgrade and downgrade every other bios fine.  It is only the 0904 BIOS that has this issue.  I have tried downloading to other computers, putting on a flash drive and copying it.  The file sizes defiantly is correct then.  I will start from scratch and see what's up.  Wish it had a more detailed error so I can troubleshoot a bit better.

I would hope that if there was corruption during the update process to 0813 it would have errored out the install instead of finishing, but maybe something wacky happened.  Thanks for the feedback, ill see if I can come up with any other reasons.

Works.  Not sure why but windows integrated unzip was the problem.  Used winrar and it's installing.  Might need to do an sfc scan and see if something in windows fubar.

Thanks for help

 love the new bios so far.

20230404_173328.jpg

What's different that you love? I'm still in 703 I heard my corsair vengeance 32GB 7200mhz cas 34 DDR5 became very unstable with newer updates.

Also that CPU voltages were changed and I have a very nice undervolt ATM 

If you aren't having issues I wouldn't upgrade. 

For me I was having problems with my ram being stable.  On 0813 cpu would hit 95c 6.1Ghz  @1.5v this update seems to have corrected that issue as now I never break 1.5v @ 6.1Ghz and cpu package never breaks 80c under heavier load.  

6.1GHz is nuts. Interesting its lowered your temperatures though. Almost tempted in that basis I have my 13700k on stock clocks xmp with a -0.15 undervolt 

I wouldn't.   Your system sounds stable. 

Mine wasn't. 

Cool thanks. Just wish games wouldn't stutter as much.. Pretty sure its game dependant as exoprimal beta was smooth as butter 99.99% of the time.

Ill stick to this bios. I only ever had one crash in cod where audio went funny game was black with red pixels. Seemed more like a GPU **bleep** up and that was 5 monthsish ago