cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790 Extreme - fan controller - all fans at 100% at all times, Armoury has no effect.

orcinus
Level 7
Z790 Extreme - fan controller - all fans at 100% at all times, Armoury has no effect.
How do you fix this?
Where does it need to be connected to?
What software controls it?
7 REPLIES 7

JohnAb
Level 17
The answer will depend on how your fans are connected. For example, on my machine I have 3 fans connected to the AIO cooler and 4 fans are connected through a Corsair controller. None of these are connected directly to the motherboard and so cannot be controlled by Armoury Crate. Then I have two extra fans which are connected directly to the motherboard (and can be controlled by Armoury Crate).

A quick thing to do is go into the BIOS and see if any fans are shown as running there. Let us know what information that provides. I'm off to bed now, but can you also provide details of you setup, your cooler etc. and most importantly, how your fans are connected. We know they are connected somewhere as they are spinning at least 🙂
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb wrote:
The answer will depend on how your fans are connected. For example, on my machine I have 3 fans connected to the AIO cooler and 4 fans are connected through a Corsair controller. None of these are connected directly to the motherboard and so cannot be controlled by Armoury Crate. Then I have two extra fans which are connected directly to the motherboard (and can be controlled by Armoury Crate).

A quick thing to do is go into the BIOS and see if any fans are shown as running there. Let us know what information that provides. I'm off to bed now, but can you also provide details of you setup, your cooler etc. and most importantly, how your fans are connected. We know they are connected somewhere as they are spinning at least 🙂

I have an AIO pump connected to the Pump1. It shows in BIOS QFAN and FanXpert4 reporting RPM. I can control it too.

AIO set of 3 fans connected to the ROG CONTROLLER as 3 case fans (Unifan).
ROG CONTROLLER has a USB cable connected to USB2_12. Â*All ARGB LEDs are connected to the ROG CONTROLLER.
Aura Sync works. I can controll the board, GPU, Pump LED (non Asus, a LianLi Gallahad) and two sets (all) of fans.
UNLIKE ARGB LEDs, I cannot control the fans at all.
I expected ROG CONTROLLER to be visible with fans to FanXpert4 as at least one fan.

It is strange how Aura works, flawlessly, but not the fans.

JohnAb
Level 17
OK, I'm not familiar with the ROG Controller, hopefully somebody else on here will have one. I've had a quick look for details but I can't find anything useful. I only found this, which sounds like the situation you have: https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/s7mhkt/rog_fan_controller_what_the_hell_does_this_thing/

I might be wrong, but as far as I know, Armoury Crate and FanExpert can only see what's connected directly to the motherboard (like your AIO pump), so I'm thinking that your ROG Controller must have some software that is specifically designed to work with it? Unless Armoury Crate/FanExpert are not installed correctly? Perhaps you could try uninstalling Armoury Crate (there is a tool to do that on the support pages) and then install it again?

I have the Corsair Commander XT which works with Corsair's iCue software. That gives me control over all of the case fans/lighting and the AIO fans/lighting. Basically anything which is NOT connected to the motherboard. It is connected by USB, just like your ROG Controller, that's why I'm thinking there must be some equivalent software for you. Maybe even iCue might work for you - wouldn't do any harm to give it a try I suppose.

Maybe another option is to try this software: https://github.com/rem0o/fancontrol.releases

People say it works well. I've just tried it, but again it only seems to see the fans which are directly connected to the motherboard (plus my GPU). It does not seem to be aware of my case fans for example, which are connected via the Corsair Commander.

Difficult to help any more without having the same setup, but like I said, somebody else on this forum must have the ROG controller and be able to throw some light on the answer for you...
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

That is a similar issue - I don't gave the controller page like he does in his resolved screenshot.
Which would lead me to think the controller is not attached or is not working with the USB, but then ARGB wouldn't work either, and it does and it's flawless.

JohnAb
Level 17
Sure. I'd try reinstalling Armoury Crate - it might work after that? Good luck.

Murph_9000
Level 14
If it's the same as the 6-way USB ARGB ROG Fan Controller that's included with the Crosshair VIII Extreme, it doesn't show up in Fan Xpert or BIOS Q-fan. Look in the device tabs of Armoury Crate for "ROG FAN CONTROLLER", where you can set fan curves for it.

Murph_9000 wrote:
If it's the same as the 6-way USB ARGB ROG Fan Controller that's included with the Crosshair VIII Extreme, it doesn't show up in Fan Xpert or BIOS Q-fan. Look in the device tabs of Armoury Crate for "ROG FAN CONTROLLER", where you can set fan curves for it.

I did reinstall.
In devices I was looking for it.
I see the board there, GPU and aura create for lcd. Not the controller..
It's connected to usb, has additional power six-pin.