cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790-e gaming wifi spontaneous reboots with a wd sn850x

Xmptroubles
Level 9
Got a wd sn850x 4tb m.2 ssd. It's causing my z790-e gaming wifi to spontaneously reboot even when idle.

It was plugged into m.2 slot 5. I haven't tried other slots yet because I don't like my pc randomly rebooting out of nowhere.

No problems with a Samsung 980 pro 2tb.

I currently have it plugged into an older pc and it hasn't spontaneously rebooted yet after a couple hours. I'll keep running that as a test.

Looking like another return if I can't get it to work with this mobo. Any ideas or anyone get this model ssd working on their z790 board?
14 REPLIES 14

Xiph1 wrote:
I got 2TB sn850X and using it with Z690 Strix-A.

I haven't yet noticed idle reboot problems, but on every reboot this new driver generates system log error 11: "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort2."
I managed to trace that this device is indeed sn850x.

Are other sn850x users getting such an error?

Made some testing:
- Win 11 build 22621 -> stornvme error
- Win 11 build 25247 -> stornvme error
- Win 10 -> ok
- Win 11 /w VDM enabled and mapped to PCi -> ok

It seems that there is some compatibility problem with stornvme driver and sn850x.

My problems basically ended when I turned off A.I.Overclocking, with the exception being that I had to turn off A.I.Overclocking.

So my sn850x seems to be fine, which is great, and now I can install the second one I have.

Sorry, can't be more help than that. GL.

Bukov. wrote:
My problems basically ended when I turned off A.I.Overclocking, with the exception being that I had to turn off A.I.Overclocking.

So my sn850x seems to be fine, which is great, and now I can install the second one I have.

Sorry, can't be more help than that. GL.

Which settings exactly did you disable? My system keeps crashing/freezing when my SN850X is running at gen4 speed and I don't want to keep it at gen3 all the time when there are other options available that could fix it haha

JohnAb
Level 17
Just realised that I am using a WD Black SN850 (not the X version) and have had no problems. I use it for the OS, it's only a 500GB version. However, just noticed that in the WD Dashboard, there is a 'gaming mode' option.

Maybe try turning that on/off and see if it makes any difference?
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

markintjf
Level 7

I had a Z690-PLUS TUF and I was having a storage problem and the unit disappearing after restart, the problem in question only happens when I'm playing a game that doesn't even need to be installed on the unit in question.

I switched to a Z790-PLUS TUF and the problem remains exactly the same.

I tested it on a friend's motherboard and the disappearing unit is in perfect condition.