cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790-e gaming wifi can't run 7600mhz ddr5 ram at xmp speeds

Xmptroubles
Level 9
So before I returned my 7600mhz 16x2 gskill ram kit, I thought I'd give one more mobo a try and exchanged my z790-e gaming wifi for a new one from newegg.

Brand new mobo, gently installed the cpu and fan, updated bios to 0703, turned xmp I on, disabled Adaptive boost and multicore enhancement, and got a near instant hang in the bios.

Next I reset cmos, set to xmp ii, disabled Adaptive boost and multicore enhancement, set vdd and vddq voltage to 1.42, ran memtest 9.4 from the bios and immediately got 14 errors in under a minute.

Back to xmp I and downclock to 7400mhz. More memtest errors. This is ridiculous.

Asus is selling mobos that cannot run at high ddr5 ram speeds as advertised and listed. It's not user error, it's not bad ram, it's not crushed pins. It's Asus selling bad boards, or their bios needs major work.
31 REPLIES 31

Xmptroubles
Level 9
Trying:
Adaptive boost - Disable
Asus multicore enhancement - Disable
Xmp ii
7200mhz
Sa - 1.3 in bios
Imc - auto in bios (1.39 avg in hwinfo)
Ivr TX vddq - auto in bios (1.40 in hwinfo)
Vram vdd/vddq - 1.42 in bios

Fails tm5 absolut after 7 minutes.

Trying:
Adaptive boost - Disable
Xmp ii
7200mhz
Sa - 1.35 in bios
Imc - auto in bios (1.39 avg in hwinfo)
Ivr TX vddq - 1.42 in bios

Fails tm5 absolut after 2 minutes.

Bumping the voltage on sa and ivr TX vddq made tm5 absolut fail sooner. This isn't even 7600mhz.

Nate152
Ok, updating to the latest bios can sometimes help with memory clocking. I see the latest bios for your motherboard is 0703, it's also recommended to update the ME driver.

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z790-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_bios/

Shamino lists a beta bios for your motherboard, you could try this as well to see if there is any improvement.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?131027-RaptorLake-Resources

Xmptroubles
Level 9
I installed the 0803 beta bios and updated the intel ME. Still can't clear a single cycle of tm5 absolut above 6800mhz.

My question is why Asus is marketing and qvl listing gskill 7600-7800 ram for this mobo when it's clear it can't handle it.

Are they running a quick memtest and calling it good enough? Because that's not nearly enough for a stable system.

Are they setting 7600mhz and then greatly loosening the timings? Or putting a huge overvolt on it? Or using binned mobos and cpus with golden ram speeds? That would be deceptive.

I don't think my board, ram, or cpu are outliers. I already swapped out the mobo only to have the exact same problem. The ram is binned to run at 7600mhz. The cpu seems average at clock rates and temps.

Asus needs to remove 7200+ speed 2x16gb ram kits from their mobo qvl for this board, and correct their marketing. This all points to Asus being incompetent or deceptive.

It's embarrassing that this is the state of the high end pc market these days.

Hopper64
Level 15
Try decreasing the SAV to 1.15V. Mine was at 1.249V with XMP Tweaked mode and I had difficulty with stability as well. You might need to alter the voltages some. Consider 1.20V on the SAV and decrease at 10mV increments and see what happens. Mine is fine at 1.15V. Passed Ramtest no problem.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Hopper64 wrote:
Try decreasing the SAV to 1.15V. Mine was at 1.249V with XMP Tweaked mode and I had difficulty with stability as well. You might need to alter the voltages some. Consider 1.20V on the SAV and decrease at 10mV increments and see what happens. Mine is fine at 1.15V. Passed Ramtest no problem.

I tried 1.15v system agent on 0803, and it didn't help.

Tm5 absolut is already finding errors, no need for me to pay for ramtest just to see it also generate errors.

Your Asus rog maximus extreme is almost twice as expensive as the z790-e gaming wifi. I'd expect it to clock higher. Whatever results you're getting can't be replicated. This is a strix board not a maximus board.

Edit: I was wrong, xmp tweaked showed up with the 0803 bios. I'll give it a try.

i have xmp tweaked on my z790-e starting from bios 0702 and now also on latest 0803, I am on corsair a-die 7000 but i can run 7600 without problems.
I see xmp1 . xmp2 and xmp tweaked as options

Xmptroubles
Level 9
Try 1
0803 beta bios
Adaptive boost - Disable
Xmp tweaked
7600mhz
Sa - 1.15 in bios
Imc - auto in bios
Ivr TX vddq - auto in bios
Vram vdd/vddq - 1.40 in bios

Immediate massive memtest 9.4 errors and bios hangs/failure to reboot.

Try 2
0803 beta bios
Adaptive boost - Disable
Xmp tweaked
7600mhz
Sa - 1.2 in bios
Imc - auto in bios

Immediate massive memtest 9.4 errors.

Try 3
0803 beta bios
Adaptive boost - Disable
Xmp tweaked
7600mhz
Sa - 1.3 in bios
Imc - auto in bios (which is 1.4v)
Ivr TX vddq - auto in bios (which is 1.43v same as vram vdq/vddq)

Immediate memtest 9.4 errors. Not as bad, but still a huge fail.

Try 4
0803 beta bios
Adaptive boost - Disable
Xmp tweaked
7400mhz
Sa - 1.15 in bios
Imc - auto in bios

Memtest fail in the first minute.

Try 5
0803 beta bios
Adaptive boost - Disable
Xmp tweaked
7400mhz
Sa - 1.2 in bios
Imc - auto in bios

Passes one pass in memtest 9.4 free, but fails tm5 absolut in 4 minutes.

Try 6
0803 beta bios
Adaptive boost - Disable
Xmp tweaked
7400mhz
Sa - 1.3 in bios
Imc - auto in bios

Fails tm5 absolut in 4 minutes.

Try 7
0803 beta bios
Adaptive boost - Disable
Xmp tweaked
7200mhz
Sa - 1.3 in bios
Imc - auto in bios

Fails tm5 absolut in 7 minutes and also crashed. Also my ram test windows install blew up with an ntfs.sys corruption error and I had to reinstall it.

This is impossible. I'm ready to switch to msi now.

JohnAb
Level 17
I've been watching this thread and despite people's best intentions to help you, not once have you (Xmptroubles) said "thanks". You have just continued to moan and complain. Whilst I do understand your frustration having spent a good amount of money, being polite costs nothing.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Xmptroubles
Level 9
The point of this thread is to warn people that this motherboard is garbage for ram overclocking. I already knew nothing could be done.

I'm returning the mobo, I'm not letting Asus get away with this. They can choke on my returned motherboards.

Xmptroubles
Level 9
More proof strix z790 boards are trash at ram oc:
https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/ymvtx3/ddr5_6400_and_7200_xmp_profiles_not_totally

This guy has it even worse, he can't even get a 6400 kit stable. Ouch. There's also a mention of msi boards performing better.

https://www.overclock.net/threads/official-intel-ddr5-oc-and-24-7-daily-memory-stability-thread.1794...
https://www.overclock.net/threads/official-intel-ddr5-oc-and-24-7-daily-memory-stability-thread.1794...

Another two strix owners.

Pay premium price for "7800+" ram mobo, get scammed by Asus when you can't get a 2x16gb 7600mhz rated gskill kit above 6600mhz stable, and then get told to get ******* because 'we don't guarantee oc results despite our lying marketing and qvl list'. Good one, guys.

I thought I was stable at 6800 but tm5 extreme caught an error after 2 cycles. Now trying 6600. How pathetically low can this mobo go? At this point I'm better off going back to ddr4.

I've been buying Asus for years, mobos, monitors, etc. What happened to make them lying scammers all of the sudden?