cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790-E + 13700k : Windows Power Plan - Balanced or High Performance?

Petroll
Level 9

So this is my first p-core / e-core CPU and I'm trying to gather some information about which power plan is the best to use on my desktop gaming system.

I like balanced plan for it's ability to down clock the CPU when I'm just web surfing / watching videos.

My questions so far are :

Does it hurt the CPU having all the clocks at max all the time when using the high performance plan?

How much performance am I losing out on using the Balanced plan? 10%? 5% 1%?

Is there a way to use the High Performance Plan and still have the CPU down clock when not gaming?

I've seen a few posts online saying the p-cores / e-cores are treated differently between those 2 power plans. What are those differences?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

13 REPLIES 13

I feel like windows wouldn't put that power plan as an option if there was a chance to damage the CPU and not warn you about it.

The only "warning" given for High Performance is "Favors performance, but may use more energy".

I didn't even know about any of this before and I had my 6700k in performance mode 24/7 since day 1 for almost 8 years straight and it's still working perfectly heh.

Yeah you wouldn't have thought so just uses a little more energy by keeping the cores clocked up, Funnily enough I had a 6700K like yourself which actually degraded over time due to overclocking and I didn't even have much extra voltage going through it, It needed voltage bumps every now and again to keep it stable but at stock you shouldn't have any issues I wouldn't have thought.

JohnAb
Level 17

Just my opinion, but I think the higher performance plan won't do any harm. While I agree that it might theoretically shorten the life of the CPU, by the time that happens I suspect that the PC would be way beyond any useful life anyway. It would just be too slow and old. Personally, the balanced plan is good for me - I feel no need to boost anything as I'm extremely happy with performance. Even games don't struggle at all, so I'm happy. But, if you do see an improvement, then I say go for it. You might as well enjoy the system as you want it.  

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Yeah it shouldn't do I agree it it did then these things are not designed very well or a at max spec anyway but yes like yourself I don't notice any different issues with these modern multicore chips on balanced with gaming or with anything, I don't notice any improvement whether it's balanced or high.