cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z790 Apex Encore DDR5 48GB training issues

RCLandroid87
Level 9

My Encore has severe difficulties training 48GB memory beyond 8000  what so ever. It will input values that allow me to boot and do basic functions fine (all the way up to 9,000 MT/s) but it fails TM5, Karhu, etc.

What are some training algorithms or settings within the Bios that will aid with training 8000, 8200, 8400, 8600 so that I can get some basic figures to work with and then reduce and tweak from. My regular Apex would train memory (very loosely) but completely stable all the way up to 8,800 no problem. I could slap in a set of TeamGroup or G.Skill 8200 48gb sticks and set it to 8,800 and throw on 1.5VDD/VDDQ and it would automatically train stable settings that were good and passed any memory test. However, with this Encore (on Bios 0904) I cant seem to use the default training at all. I have to literally input all my own numbers and spend 8-12 hrs of toying just to get a loose baseline that passes 12hr Karhu. There has to be some basic settings that help train memory right? 

I usually always disable fast boot, disable MRC fastboot, Enable MRC Fullcheck 

6 REPLIES 6

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi @RCLandroid87 
Difficulty training would imply it's failing training, I'm assuming you mean you're struggling with stability within the OS which isn't one and the same.

Which generation of CPU?

Are you running the same ME Firmware version as the previous board?

Did you cross reference the auto voltages or set IMC VDD, IVR etc to see if you're using the same values?

Have you checked the MC SP within Ai Tweaker to see how the CPU fairs? Although a rough indicator, a very low score should give you some indication of the IMC strength.

Check out the m-die profiles underneath the DRAM Timing Configurator menu to see if these help - as well as Maximus Tweak Modes 1 and 2

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

It's a 14900K sp 102 global with a sp 88 Mc

I'm using a z790 Apex Encore on the newest Bios 0904

I'm referring to the motherboards inability to produce viable baseline stable timings and subtimings using the auto rule across the board for all secondary and tertiary timings. I'm hoping there are deeper sub settings that can be enabled to further aid in its ability to create stable but loose timings that I can work off of and tighten. 

What's the definition of a baseline when it pertains to over 8000MT? The statement "stable timings and sub timings using the auto rule" doesn't quite make sense. Have you addressed what the system was running on the previous board in terms of associated voltages? The same seconds, terts?

Is the board running the same ME Firmware? These things are relevant when doing a cross-comparison. 

Im not sure where your going with your reply, are you just replying to stuff to make it appear like you attempted to offer help/advice?

I clearly stated, my motherboard (updated to bios 0904 WHICH ALSO UPDATES TO NEWEST ME) is failing to train the memory to a state at which it will pass normal memory tests such as TestMem5, MemPro, Karhu, etc)

In the past, I have never had an issue popping in DDR5 memory with my motherboards, enabling XMP, and passing basic stability tests. Then I have my "BASELINE" to where I can begin chopping down timings to reduce latency and improve w/r/c speeds. But as of right now, the board (z790 APEX ENCORE) is failing to train and provide a good baseline of settings. I was asking (if you read my post) for additional settings and training algorithm's that I can enable in the sub-timings menue that would provide additional stability. For example! Enabling VDDQ Training, or switching the training profile from Standard to Asus Optimized User Profile, etc etc. There is about 150+ to choose from. Advanced users who are familiar with overclocking usually have preferred training protocols to help/aid with RTL/ODT etc memory training functions. This question might be out of yours (and my league). 

If you're already talking about RTLs you're probably already going to come short of achieving what you want.

You keep talking about a baseline, where are your previous stable voltages on the OG Apex? The auto values are likely geared differently. Are you even using the same voltages for VVD2, IVR, SA etc?

Before you try and establish anything else, I'm not sure why you're ignoring this. Moreover, your original post isn't very clear as you claim to have difficulty training beyond 8000MT, but then in the same sentence say you're able to POST and run basic tests as high as 9000MT. If the memory is passing POST stress tests that high, you likely need to look at tuning the associated voltages which is what I've alluded to already.

How stable is the system at 8000MT? How much coverage in Karhu?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Feel free to try my 8600MT daily profile for 2001 - although, needless to say it depends on the individual CPU.

You've not mentioned trying the presets under DRAM Timing Configurator, try the m-die presets if you haven't done so already.