cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790 Apex Driver question

robb543
Level 7
Do you guys normally install GNA and Serial IO drivers on a fresh windows install or do you usually leaves those out and install later if you need them? Also, would you say it makes sense to install Chipset or ME driver/Firmware first?

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

- Intel GNA Drivers must be installed only if Intel GNA is enabled in your BIOS.
- Intel Chipset Drivers, Intel MEI Drivers, Intel VMD Drivers & Intel Serial IO Drivers must be installed, in the order that I have just mentioned them.
- Intel ME Firmware must be flashed after installing Intel MEI Drivers (and before the BIOS when it requires an Intel ME Firmware update).

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

- Intel GNA Drivers must be installed only if Intel GNA is enabled in your BIOS.
- Intel Chipset Drivers, Intel MEI Drivers, Intel VMD Drivers & Intel Serial IO Drivers must be installed, in the order that I have just mentioned them.
- Intel ME Firmware must be flashed after installing Intel MEI Drivers (and before the BIOS when it requires an Intel ME Firmware update).

Thanks for the help, so you definitely would say the VMD drivers must be installed? I thought that was just for the intel rapid storage technology so I was going to leave it out but it seems like i should include it then?

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

let's say that I installed windows several times and the first time did the driver install and ME firmware in the order above
when installing windows again from scratch - on a clean erased disk, does it make any sense to install the ME firmware again, since that one is the same shown in bios even there is no windows at all?

then: I'm usually disabling the VMD in bios since I'm using just the nvme drive - currently I have the 2TB 990Pro, that one has no dedicated "manufacturer" driver; is this ok or not? and by the way, that VMD driver is only available on the flash drive only, did not find it on the official support webpage

MoKiChU
Level 40
I see that a lot of people make the mistake of enabling Intel Rapid Storage Technology in their BIOS when they don't need RAID, I think a little reminder is in order :

Before or since Intel 6xx series chipsets : Intel Rapid Storage Technology enabled in your BIOS = RAID mode (whatether a RAID is actually needed/created or not). So if you don't plan to do a RAID, do not enable Intel Rapid Storage Technology in your BIOS.

Since Intel 6xx series chipsets : SATA Controller and/or PCIe SSDs mapped under VMD in your BIOS = Intel Rapid Storage Technology automatically enabled in your BIOS = RAID mode (whatether a RAID is actually needed/created or not). So if you don't plan to do a RAID, do not map SATA Controller and/or PCIe SSDs under VMD in your BIOS.

Also, I repost this from my thread which will allow you to see more clearly as to the drivers used depending on the case :

MoKiChU wrote:

There are certain things to know since Intel 6xx series chipsets.

Before Intel 6xx series chipsets :

- SATA HDDs/SSDs in AHCI mode use Intel SATA AHCI Driver ("Intel(R) xxx Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller" in your Device Manager) or Microsoft built-in driver ("Standard SATA AHCI Controller" in your Device Manager).

- PCIe SSDs in NVMe mode use Microsoft built-in driver ("Standard NVM Express Controller" in your Device Manager, recommended for DirectStorage/RTX IO) or vendor specific NVMe Controller Driver (if there is one for your SSD).

- SATA HDDs/SSDs (& PCIe Intel Optane SSDs) in RAID mode (Intel Rapid Storage Technology enabled in your BIOS) use Intel SATA RAID Driver ("Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller" in your Device Manager).

Since Intel 6xx series chipsets :

VMD disabled in your BIOS :

- SATA HDDs/SSDs in AHCI mode use Microsoft built-in driver ("Standard SATA AHCI Controller" in your Device Manager).

- PCIe SSDs in NVMe mode use Microsoft built-in driver ("Standard NVM Express Controller" in your Device Manager, recommended for DirectStorage/RTX IO) or vendor specific NVMe Controller Driver (if there is one for your SSD).

VMD enabled in your BIOS (Default) :

- SATA HDDs/SSDs in AHCI mode use Microsoft built-in driver ("Standard SATA AHCI Controller" in your Device Manager) + Intel VMD Driver for Intel VMD Controller device ("Intel RST VMD Controller xxxx" in your Device Manager).

- PCIe SSDs in NVMe mode use Microsoft built-in driver ("Standard NVM Express Controller" in your Device Manager, recommended for DirectStorage/RTX IO) or vendor specific NVMe Controller Driver (if there is one for your SSD) + Intel VMD Driver for Intel VMD Controller device ("Intel RST VMD Controller xxxx" in your Device Manager).

- SATA/PCIe HDDs/SSDs in RAID mode (Intel Rapid Storage Technology enabled in your BIOS) use Intel VMD Driver for Intel VMD Managed Controller & Intel VMD Controller devices (Respectively "Intel RST VMD Managed Controller xxxx" & "Intel RST VMD Controller xxxx" in your Device Manager).

/!\ SATA Controller and/or PCIe SSDs need to be mapped under VMD to use RAID mode with SATA/PCIe HDDs/SSDs /!\
(this will automatically enable Intel Rapid Storage Technology / RAID mode if it wasn't already)

You might wonder why ASUS has enabled VMD by default, and what is the point of enabling VMD if not using RAID ?

Because VMD provides certain features usable even without using RAID, like error isolation from the Host OS, hot-plug and surprise removal support, standardized LED Management ... (hence the fact that Intel advises OEMs to enable VMD by default when VMD is present).

Ok that makes sense so even if I don't plan on using IRST / RAID, VMD driver should be installed for those non-raid benefits you mentioned.

robb543
Level 7
So even if VMD is enabled PCIE nvme ssds would still be using the microsoft built in driver for most things but the VMD drivers for those other benefits (error isolation)? It wouldnt cause any issues with direct storage/RTXIO on an nvme or performance issues? I really appreciate the help!

robb543 wrote:
So even if VMD is enabled PCIE nvme ssds would still be using the microsoft built in driver for most things but the VMD drivers for those other benefits (error isolation)? It wouldnt cause any issues with direct storage/RTXIO on an nvme or performance issues? I really appreciate the help!

Absolutely, as stated in my previous post.

robb543
Level 7
Awesome, thanks for all your hard work!

JohnAb
Level 17
If you have the correct ME firmware version installed, then no need to do it again even if reinstalling Windows. Your BIOS main page will always show the ME version, so you can check easily. As MokiChU said above, best to install the VMD drivers. Unless you are planning to use RAID with your drives, just leave the BIOS settings on defaults for the VMD settings.

You you want the latest VMD drivers, take a look at MoKiChU's driver threads. I am using the latest version and they are working fine for me.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.