cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790 Apex Driver question

robb543
Level 7
Do you guys normally install GNA and Serial IO drivers on a fresh windows install or do you usually leaves those out and install later if you need them? Also, would you say it makes sense to install Chipset or ME driver/Firmware first?

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

kvarq
Level 11
VMD is basically for RAID or Optane support. It doesn’t change/improve the performance of a single drive.
After reading Mokichu's post I was confused a bit, that's why I asked if I have just a single drive why should I keep VMD on.
I did not even enable the GNA or ASMedia, I still consider the less stuff installed the better if no need to.

kvarq wrote:
VMD is basically for RAID or Optane support. It doesn't change/improve the performance of a single drive.
After reading Mokichu's post I was confused a bit, that's why I asked if I have just a single drive why should I keep VMD on.
I did not even enable the GNA or ASMedia, I still consider the less stuff installed the better if no need to.

Hi,

I didn't said that VMD should stay enabled, I'm just explaining why it's enabled by default :

MoKiChU wrote:
You might wonder why ASUS has enabled VMD by default, and what is the point of enabling VMD if not using RAID ?

Because VMD provides certain features usable even without using RAID, like error isolation from the Host OS, hot-plug and surprise removal support, standardized LED Management ... (hence the fact that Intel advises OEMs to enable VMD by default when VMD is present).

I even indicate first the case with VMD disabled :

MoKiChU wrote:
Since Intel 6xx series chipsets :

VMD disabled in your BIOS :

- SATA HDDs/SSDs in AHCI mode use Microsoft built-in driver ("Standard SATA AHCI Controller" in your Device Manager).

- PCIe SSDs in NVMe mode use Microsoft built-in driver ("Standard NVM Express Controller" in your Device Manager, recommended for DirectStorage/RTX IO) or vendor specific NVMe Controller Driver (if there is one for your SSD).

On the other hand, what I clearly say that you should not do is enabling Intel Rapid Storage Technology in your BIOS when you don't need RAID.