cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 new 6 pin 12v on Maximus

kahless
Level 7
Hello,

Looking at pictures of the Maximus boards. They have a 6 pin cable connector next to the 24 pin. The manual states it's needed for 60 watts on the Pcie 5 slot for the graphics card. If not used then only supports 27 watts. Does this need to be connected in order to get 60 watts and what type of cable is this?
14 REPLIES 14

Eaton
Level 7
You can use a spare VGA/PCIe cable. Connect the 8-pin end to the PSU, and then the other end should split into a 6-pin section that you can plug into that connector.
Here is a thread discussing it: https://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=2920030

Jozh89
Level 9
Any benefit having the 6pin plugged in?*

Hopper64
Level 15
In one of the manuals I have reviewed, only 27W is supplied to the PCIe slots without that cable. Adding it supplies 60W of power. I would install it.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Jozh89
Level 9
Odd the 6 pins are not on other z690 eg the Strix ones. Seeing as psu’s deliver power to the card. Is the 6 pin a requirement when having multiple pcie cards installed that don’t have dedicated power. Eg sounds cards etc

https://youtu.be/cWYAi9f5XBE?t=2088

time stamp 34:38 min in vid. Says it is for quick charge USB C.

What JJ says in this video conflicts with what the manuals.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Bottom line is I always install all available power. Nothing sucks worse than having to add one later after you have done your cable management. My R6EE has two 8 pins and 1 6 pin as well as the molex connection on the bottom. I connect EVERYTHING!! That way I know I have all the power Im gonna get out of the board provided my AX1600i can keep up with it.

Jozh89
Level 9
The manual is abit confusing, but found this in it:

Falkentyne
Level 12
kahless wrote:
Hello,

Looking at pictures of the Maximus boards. They have a 6 pin cable connector next to the 24 pin. The manual states it's needed for 60 watts on the Pcie 5 slot for the graphics card. If not used then only supports 27 watts. Does this need to be connected in order to get 60 watts and what type of cable is this?

It's for the quick charge port, however I am unsure if both the front (case I/O USB C) and back Type C SS 2.0 port both support QC 4.0 or if only the front port supports it. The PCIE 6 pin ALSO supplies "extra" power to the PCIE ports as well (good for multiple video cards to take load off the main ATX 12V plug lines feeding the slots, but also good for shunt or XOC Bios modded RTX cards) but what the manual means is that only 27W is supplied for quick charge if that power connector is not installed.

I also do not know if installing the power connector affects the PCIE +12v signal on Ampere video cards. On my Z590 M13E, my 3090 FE's PCIE Slot Voltage rail read 12.240v on that board, while on the Maximus Z690 Extreme, the PCIE Slot Voltage reads 12.353v. I had the supplemental PCIE Power connector (Forgot if it was a molex or sata connector or not) connected on the Z590, but it didn't make much difference in the PCIE slot+12v.

Andrew75
Level 7
Hey guys! After reading the above, I’m a bit confused about that 6 pin on the z690 Maximus Xtreme. Do we use a standard pcie 6+2 cable and plug one end into the standard 8 pcie power out port on the psu or is there a special cable I would need with a newer model power supply? It seems all the diagrams for pcie 6 and 8 pinouts that I’ve found online don’t match the motherboard manual’s pinout for the cables it wants. Is there a typo in the manual?’ It’s like the grounds and 12v pins are swapped.