cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Maximus Hero - Issues with drivers and RoG Hyper Card

Tibblesx
Level 7
Hello, I am a moderately experienced builder but I have never had to mess much with bios and driver settings once I booted up short of running in one off problems that were fixed over time. I have 3 m.2 nvmes. My boot drive located in the top slot on my mobo. Then a 1 tbb and 2 tb nvme located in the RoG m.2 hyper card located in my PCIE (g4) slot as recommended by the manual for running 2 nvmes. My bios seems to pick up on the first m.2 slotted in but not the 2nd 2 tb stick. Windows does not seem to register that drive. I have read to enable RAID or other options under the CPU Storage section of the BIOS but I have not been able to find all of the options mentioned. I have gone in so many chains and circles around to try and fix or update one driver in hopes it would now allow me to install another driver that I can honestly say I am just flat out lost and confused. This is my primary goal here, but I have now run into so many issues trying to achieve what I thought would have been a simple enough fix and I will go into them below to also trace what I have done or tried along with my pertinent:

ASUS Z690 Hero Maximus
Intel 12900k
Samsung 980 Pro 1tb (Slotted directly into motherboard)
Western Digital 750 1 tb (Slotted into first slot in the hyper card) - Bios picks this one up in some menus, but not all like boot menus
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 tb (Slotted into second slot in the hyper card) - Nothing has picked this up

- I have updated my BIOS with the version listed on the support site released 4/01/2022 version 1403. This did nothing that I have noticed in terms of my problem.

- I cannot seem to get my Intel ME to update by using the tool listed on either the support site or the forums here by Mokichu (amazing work there and easily more helpful than anything I have seen ASUS provide). When using the tool I get a warning message telling me to check that they are already installed despite uninstalling from device manager. When using Mokichu's link, the version does not seem to update for me through windows or my BIOS.

- I *THINK* I have updated my RST drivers? The only ones I have really tried were from the support site. I was not sure which of the 3 drivers provided in Mokichu were the one I needed. I also could not locate my device in device manager to see if I could find any clue as to which I needed to grab (but I think I just was not looking in the right place).

- I have not tried the VMD drivers yet, I am about to do so now. I just wanted to put a post up in the meantime so I can actually get the ball rolling on getting some help.

I believe my other drivers and firmware updating without a hitch, but I do not believe I have had issues with those.

I intend to do a clean install of windows to be safe once this is all done as I am slightly nervous about the amount of tinkering I have done, and while I have only had a few weird boots and blue screens that I was able to reel in and fix I cannot help but feel that I am just out of my element and doing harm at this point.

Unrelated, but my flash drive that I have in the BIOS usb slot also might be having an issue? As I am typing this Windows keeps opening the file directory and taking focus off of typing into Chrome. It seems to be losing it and rediscovering the flash drive periodically, every few minutes or so?

Anyway, thank you for your help and I hope you are all having a better week than I am.
1 REPLY 1

Spicedaddy
Level 9
There's an option in the BIOS to enable dual M.2 drives on the x4 PCIE slot using the Hyper card.

It's in Advanced->Onboard Devices Configuration->PCIEX16(G4) Configuration->Dual M.2 SSD

By default it was "PCIEX4 Add-on Card" on my system (1304 bios).