cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Maximus Hero | Hyper Card | Double booting issues

saadiq7
Level 7
Hi all

I recently bought 2 extra 4TB NVMe drives & thought I'd use the included Hyper card with my Z690 Maximus Hero build. I've already got 2 1TB Nvme drives on the MB 1 & 3 slots.

At first I boot & only see one drive. I then did some research & find that I need to select dual m.2 on the on board devices in bios. Once I did this, my pc boots & after about 10secs, it's stops then reboots. I don't think anything of it, as sometimes the bios needs to do its thing to recognise new changes.

Before the Hyper card, I could cold boot (after even turning the power switch on the psu), after a restart, after a shutdown & restart with no issues. No double booting.

Now, with the hypercard, it restarts from within windows fine, it shuts down & restarts fine. But the moment I flip the switch on the psu after shutting down it double boots. So previously (didn't have the best boot time) it would take 30sec boot into windows, now it takes 55sec due to the double boot.

If you want to know why I flip the psu switch in the first place... I live in South Africa & we experience loadshedding about 3-4 times per day, so when the power goes out I might as well flip the psu switch just incase there's a surge when they turn the power back on (extra safety seeing as I have a high spec surge multi plug for my pc anyways)

I'm on bios 2103 I think (there is a later one). I tried changing the tpm & cms settings in the bios to no avail. The only thing I didn't try was removing the hypercard (set everything in bios back to stock before the card was added) to check if it boots single time into windows after a cold boot. I think I'm going to try that tomorrow...

Why am I experiencing the double boot? Am I doing something wrong?
MB: Asus Z690 Maximus hero
RAM: 2x32gb g.skill Trident Z 5600mhz ddr5
NVME: 2x Samsung nmve 1tb 980 pro
HYPERCARD: 2x Crucial P3 4TB nvme
CPU: i9-13900k
GPU: Gigabyte 3080 Ti Eagle OC
COOLER: Gigabyte waterforce 360
CASE: CM TD500 mesh
PSU: Corsair HX1000
6 REPLIES 6

JohnAb
Level 17
Hi saadiq7 - I haven't needed to use my hyper card yet, but I'm aware that Asus generally recommend that it's plugged into the bottom slot - PCIe x16 (G4) Just wondering if the double boot might be related to the slot used? Also, if it only happens after the PSU has been turned off, I'm also wondering if the card needs to initialise after a power off. Maybe it's normal, don't know. Doesn't sound as if you are doing anything wrong. The manual does say that you need to enable the card in BIOS, you must have done that. It also says to "Enable the x16 (G4) slot to support x4/x4 mode for 2 SSDs in BIOS settings".

You are right that there's a later BIOS available - 2204. Might be worth a try. Don't forget it's recommended to update the Windows MEI drivers and Intel ME firmware first.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I'd be interested to know if you find a way to improve things. Good luck.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

saadiq7
Level 7
Hi John,

I've read the manual & have installed the hypercard in pice x16 (g4) slot.

I removed the hypercard this morning, set the bios back to add-on card, shutdown, flipped the psu switch, waited 10mins & it boots first time into windows.

So this double boot behavior is a hypercard thing. I don't mind waiting, but does this double boot damage anything?

The new 2204 bios doesn't mention anything about the hypercard, I don't have any issues with the bios at the moment, so I'm probably going to wait it out for another bios.

I thought maybe one of you guys had a fix for the double boot issue. If someone does, please let me know?

JohnAb
Level 17
I don't think that the double booting will do any harm at all, but I can imagine it's annoying. Moving to BIOS 2204 is unlikely to help, I agree. Anyway, sorry that's it's still happening. If I can think of any other ideas, I'll mention them here. Other people will be using hyper cards, so hopefully you'll get the answer soon!
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb wrote:
I don't think that the double booting will do any harm at all, but I can imagine it's annoying. Moving to BIOS 2204 is unlikely to help, I agree. Anyway, sorry that's it's still happening. If I can think of any other ideas, I'll mention them here. Other people will be using hyper cards, so hopefully you'll get the answer soon!

Thanx John.

Seeing as this is an official Asus forum, is there no way to tell the people updating the Z690 bios, that they should have a look at this issue & possibly fix the problem in a future bios? Not sure if there's a sub forum like that, is there?

I came across a post from post from 2019 with a guys who had a similar issue on a Maximus formula xi, he solved his issue by buying a gigabyte motherboard & returning his Asus board for refund. I like Asus & I'm sure they'll be able to sort this issue out. His solution is a bit drastic for me...

JohnAb
Level 17
You could try posting your issue here as well:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?309

The Asus staff and admins seem to be a bit more active there, but they do respond here as well. Quite honestly, I don't know if your issue might be BIOS related, probably not would be my guess. Like you, I like Asus stuff too. People have problems, of course, that happens with every manufacturer, but speaking for myself I'm very happy with Asus hardware so far. My feeling is that your issue might just be "the way it is", but certainly worth asking. There might be a simple fix out there somewhere 🙂 I really don't think it's anything to worry about, but I completely get why you are raising it.

saadiq7
Level 7
Thanx again John.

I posted another thread. Hopefully it's not considered a double post, lol.