cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690-I Strix Instability/Fault

veeshy
Level 7
Hi, I'm having the following issues with the Z690-I Strix board:

1: When using the 1st M.2 (Top) slot with an NVMe, I get continuous PCI Express Root Port Errors. (This slot uses the CPU PCI-E Lanes)
2. When I use the 2nd M.2 (Bottom) slot with an NVMe, the errors stop. (This slot uses the Chipset PCI-E Lanes)
3 If I use the 2nd error free slot then the Blutooth gets disabled on the board and disappears from the device manager. Is this normal behaviour? - as there is no mention in the board manuals about the 2nd (bottom) m.2 slot disabling the Bluetooth when it is populated.
4. The WiFi driver is still missing from the Z690-I driver page for both windows 10 & 11. (Just meant I had to dig around the forums here to get a working one)

I have tried the following but they have not made any difference to the above issues/behavior:

Using various driver versions (incl latest chipset from Intel).
Switching between the latest two BIOS's 0811 & 1003.
Using the BIOS Defaults - eg no XMP.
Removing PCI-E GPU and using onboard IGP.
Updating all the board fimware from the ASUS website. (ME FW, Audio FW, USB PD FW)
Updating the NVMe to the latest firmware. (I'm using a Samsung 980 Pro 2TB)
Using the High Performance power profile in windows.

The only thing that has worked to stop the errors while still using the 1st M.2 slot via the CPU PCI-E lanes is to go into the BIOS and disable the PCI Express Power Managment.

Is the board faulty, OR is this a design issue with the board, OR is it a firmware/software bug in the BIOS from ASUS OR Chipset from Intel?
Also is it normal for the Bluetooth to be disabled when the 2nd NVMe slot is populated?

Cheers.
4 REPLIES 4

Deke06
Level 7
Another Z690-I owner. Hello!

I'm running a 12700K on this board with 2x16 GB G.Skill F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5K and 2x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSDs. BIOS is 0811.

Like you, I was getting frequent WHEA errors initially, but that quickly resolved by disabling PCI express power management.

I continued to get strange errors and, most notably, in-game crashing until I tweaked the memory to full stability, but I haven't encountered anything like you are experiencing with Bluetooth and WifI problems, even with both M.2 slots populated. That sounds very strange.

Sorry I'm not much help. Have you verified memory stability, even at default speeds? DDR5 seems to be a fickle mistress.

Deke06 wrote:

I'm running a 12700K on this board with 2x16 GB G.Skill F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5K and 2x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSDs. BIOS is 0811.

Like you, I was getting frequent WHEA errors initially, but that quickly resolved by disabling PCI express power management.

I continued to get strange errors and, most notably, in-game crashing until I tweaked the memory to full stability, but I haven't encountered anything like you are experiencing with Bluetooth and WifI problems, even with both M.2 slots populated. That sounds very strange.

Sorry I'm not much help. Have you verified memory stability, even at default speeds? DDR5 seems to be a fickle mistress.

good day sirrrr 🙂

ram is stable, makes no difference running on auto, and also mem test passed whith xmp enabled so memory suprisingly looks good.
yeah looks like using the 2nd m.2 slot which uses the chipset pcie lanes will disable bluetooth
and the whea errors occour when using the first slot which uses the cpu's pcie lanes
im not sure if disabling pcie power managment will have any long term effects on the ssd so have been holding of using that as a solution even tho it works

now im got a new porblem, im getting random disconects of my rift s headset regardless of which usb slot i use and the power settings after using it fot a few minutes. my old z690-g strix board did not have any of these issues

also asus are really behind on their driver pages, wifi is missing a good 3 months after launch and the other drivers are all out of date and full of bugs, digging around for newer drivers on helped with a few glitches, in particular the chipset drivers.

really regretting buying this board, hopeing to get more clarity so i can return this junk.

Deke06 wrote:

yo what did you tweak the memory too i have the exact same issue and the exact same parts

Deke06
Level 7
Sorry to hear this.

Weird errors like this, in my experience, almost always point to memory or, in some cases, a failing PSU.

My limited experience with DDR5 is that MemTest in isolation is a very low bar for stability. I'm was able to run MemTest overnight without issue, but the machine would always fail TM5 and Karhu. I was finally satisfied only when I was able to run TM5 with the anta777 Extreme profile overnight and also achieve 6400% coverage with Karhu. So I guess my advice would be to give your RAM a second look with one of these programs.

I don't know if disabling PCIe power management has a long term downside. I've been running my workstation (a 7980XE with 128GB Corsair DDR4 and 4SSDs (2x M.2 and 2x Intel PCIe enterprise drives) for over 3 years with it disables with no ill effects, but I never researched the topic. I do know that re-enabling it on the Z690-I will trigger very frequent WHEA error 17 messages in the Event Viewer, even with stable RAM as described above.

I hope it works out for you. It's a nice board now that I have it up and running, and I've been using it for most of my daily work for the last few weeks.