cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 High Temp - PCH (SOLUTION)

TZero
Level 7
The PCH temperature on my Z690-Formula was also high.
I made a drastic solution.
I took off the LED cover and glued (double-sided tape) a small fan
Believe it or not but the temperature of the PCH dropped by 15C (ambient temperature of 27C)

91669

91670
13,528 Views
15 REPLIES 15

luigimita82
Level 7
yes, is true. For me the same with my Z690 Strix-F...but i think that isn't a problem for the chipset

Adrian1983
Level 10
I may need to do something like this on my Strix Gaming Z690 A, I have no idea what Asus has done with some of these Z690 boards but mine was reaching 80c with stock voltage and it is currently freezing here in the UK not happy with it at all, I have had to undervolt the chipset (both voltages) both to their minimum they will go and it is stable I think I haven't noticed any issues as of yet but my chipset temp dropped about 10c with minimum voltages set.

I may just leave it at that sod it anything goes wrong in the near future it's under warranty let Asus deal with for not using decent thermal paste, I am not about to start taking apart a brand new motherboard to fix their mess.

Adrian1983 wrote:
I may need to do something like this on my Strix Gaming Z690 A, I have no idea what Asus has done with some of these Z690 boards but mine was reaching 80c with stock voltage and it is currently freezing here in the UK not happy with it at all, I have had to undervolt the chipset (both voltages) both to their minimum they will go and it is stable I think I haven't noticed any issues as of yet but my chipset temp dropped about 10c with minimum voltages set.

I may just leave it at that sod it anything goes wrong in the near future it's under warranty let Asus deal with for not using decent thermal paste, I am not about to start taking apart a brand new motherboard to fix their mess.



Your argument is very right ( which voltages are you working for the PCH? ).
Actually I love naked board......I chose FORMULA for the simple fact that it has the possibility of VRM being water cooled.
In 20 years of tinkering and spending $$$$ on this crap I never believed in passive cooling. 😛

TZero wrote:
Your argument is very right ( which voltages are you working for the PCH? ).
Actually I love naked board......I chose FORMULA for the simple fact that it has the possibility of VRM being water cooled.
In 20 years of tinkering and spending $$$$ on this crap I never believed in passive cooling. 😛


Everything passive in 1976. maybe it was '78 but I got one of the first ones, family connection.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-65 It was just a bare board, case came much later. Mine had 4k of Ram. The 8k BASIC Interpreter ROM chip was a Microsoft product. The keyboard was a separate bare board connected via ribbon cable, pretty nice keyboard. There was a small selection of aftermarket upgrades for I think some 64k memory never added, video card I got that one, and cases, I did get the case in the photo. The case got very warm in top right quadrant. I had to add some vents. The plastic case was relatively soft, lower than average temperature type. I know my plastics but not entirely sure which resin family it was. Must have been vinyl. Casette tape file backup, sound like an old modem. The system manuals were really good. Take it back, ABS plastic. The power was connected by simple screw terminal*

TZero wrote:
Your argument is very right ( which voltages are you working for the PCH? ).
Actually I love naked board......I chose FORMULA for the simple fact that it has the possibility of VRM being water cooled.
In 20 years of tinkering and spending $$$$ on this crap I never believed in passive cooling. 😛


Hi,

There are 2 PCH Voltages in the "Tweakers Paradise" Section right near the bottom, The first one default voltage is 1.05v I am running it at it's minimum of 0.8v and the second one default voltage is 0.82 and I am running that one at the minimum of 0.7.

Knocked some PCH temps off and all is rock solid stable here surprisingly, I was expecting some issues with the system with both being set at their minimums that I can set but all performance and stability is good 🙂

Adrian1983 wrote:
Hi,

There are 2 PCH Voltages in the "Tweakers Paradise" Section right near the bottom, The first one default voltage is 1.05v I am running it at it's minimum of 0.8v and the second one default voltage is 0.82 and I am running that one at the minimum of 0.7.

Knocked some PCH temps off and all is rock solid stable here surprisingly, I was expecting some issues with the system with both being set at their minimums that I can set but all performance and stability is good 🙂


🙂 I will to try......thanks !!!

TZero wrote:
🙂 I will to try......thanks !!!


No problem your welcome 🙂

were you worried that the chipset was sweating?
what's the point in such a "mod"?

Adrian1983 wrote:
Hi,

There are 2 PCH Voltages in the "Tweakers Paradise" Section right near the bottom, The first one default voltage is 1.05v I am running it at it's minimum of 0.8v and the second one default voltage is 0.82 and I am running that one at the minimum of 0.7.

Knocked some PCH temps off and all is rock solid stable here surprisingly, I was expecting some issues with the system with both being set at their minimums that I can set but all performance and stability is good 🙂


these changes must be made in the bios?