cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Hero - RAID Controller error in Device Manager

MikeJeffries
Level 9
Hi Everyone!
I noticed after i installed Windows 10 (and i tried windows 11 previously as well and the same thing happens), that in device manager, the RAID Controller has a yellow icon and exclamation mark. As if it's not installed properly and it can't find drivers for it online either.
There was a bunch of other peripherals listed there but after installing ASUS Armory Crate and updating all of the drivers/apps through it, they all got updated - EXCEPT the RAID Controller still shows as if there's an issue

I'm using a 12900k, Rog Maximus Z690 Hero Mobo, DDR5-5200 Corsair Dominator Ram, and 1 m.2 NVME samsung 980 pro in the 1st m.2 slot above the pcie slots (not using the ROG Hyper pcie card currently) - no other hdd's or ssd's in the system at all.

Any ideas of what I should do to fix this?
11 REPLIES 11

mothman07
Level 7
I have the exact same issue with a Tuf Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4 along with all the Serial IO drivers with yellow marks. I'm just using one m.2 nvme drive, no Raid at all. The only way I could get rid of the Raid controller was to install the Intel Irst driver with the VMD controller. I have the Sata controllers diabled in the Bios and I think you can disable the VMD controller. Why it wants a Raid controller I could never determine.

mothman07 wrote:
I have the exact same issue with a Tuf Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4 along with all the Serial IO drivers with yellow marks. I'm just using one m.2 nvme drive, no Raid at all. The only way I could get rid of the Raid controller was to install the Intel Irst driver with the VMD controller. I have the Sata controllers diabled in the Bios and I think you can disable the VMD controller. Why it wants a Raid controller I could never determine.

Support answered back and told me to download the SATA drivers, i did that and it went away. Seems all good so far.

Yes I did that too. But it doesn't make sense to need Intel Irst Sata drivers when they are disabled in the Bios and there's no Raid used. I bet alot of other Asus Z690 users have these issues and just haven't checked their Device Manager.
I've built both a Gigabyte and MSI Z690 PC and neither have any of the Asus Raid controller, Intel IO Driver or other Unknown device issues. I think there's a fundamental Bios issue that Asus needs to address.

MikeJeffries wrote:
Support answered back and told me to download the SATA drivers, i did that and it went away. Seems all good so far.

Guys, I am using Z690-P
same problem.
Could you please advise where can I download the driver, it is NOT exist at driver download page 😞

Thanks! ^^

MikeJeffries wrote:

Thx, this really works.
Link for Z-690-f if needed:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/ROG_STRIX_Z690-F_GAMING_WIFI/Intel_RST_Driver_Software...

Nate152
Hi joseph lai,

The Sata driver is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver, it should be showing for your motherboard at the ASUS Support Center.

https://www.asus.com/hk/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-Z690-P/HelpDesk_Download/

You can try to turn off the VMD in the BIOS. When I turn it off, the raid controller disappears.

Hopper64
Level 15
Or you can do this:

* https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?127828-RAID-Driver**
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

I tried everything but clearing CMOS to disable/remove the BIOS wanting to map PCIe under VMD control. Did not make a difference with 1 or 2 NMVe drives. I cannot load either the Crucial P5+ nor the Samsung 970 EVO+ drivers because they are under Intel VMD control. Both drives show up under the Raid control. Having said this, I can use Samsung Magician to run benchmarks. Performance wise all is well. Just won't be able to update firmware on either drive in the future.

My 2nd build with the same TUF gaming Z690 Plus WIFI D4 and a single 970 EVO did not exhibit this. Both builds have 1 each of a Crucial MX500 SSD, and a couple of WDC Black HDD.

I've followed the links posted here and elsewhere none have helped.