cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Hero - M.2 not detected

Zwamdurkel
Level 7
I've been reading a bunch of stuff on Z690 having issues with M.2 drives

My system used to work (for maybe 1 day, next morning my drives were no longer detected)

I'm on BIOS 2204 and according to the bios I'm on ME FW version 16.1.25.2020, CPU is 13700k

Have I messed something up? do I need to do things in a certain order? All settings are default.

My drives are Samsung PM981 1TB. I've been having issues for months. I've swapped every single part of this pc except the drives, but they work fine in another pc.

New MB, new GPU, new RAM, new CPU... I just don't know what to do anymore.

In the bios they don't show up under any menu (NVMe Configuration, PCH Storage Configuration, Asus EZ Flash), but sometimes they do appear, yet are gone the next boot.

Again, the drives work perfectly fine in another system (crosshair hero vi) and I've tried a bunch of things. It would be great if you guys could help me out because I'm starting to lose hope in ASUS and am considering switching to another vendors Z790 motherboard if I can't get this working.
825 Views
6 REPLIES 6

JohnAb
Level 16
1) If it only happened in Windows, I'd suspect a drivers issue, but sounds like that can be ruled out
2) Another chap on here recently could only get x1 NVME speeds on his 790 board. It turned out to be a hair under his CPU. Might be worth a look and see if you have any dirt or debris, bent pins etc. You could get one of those cans of clean air and give the socket and base of the CPU a blast to be sure. Check all of your motherboard and PSU connections as well while you have it apart. Worth a try as it sounds like something intermittent - and dirt could cause that.

Good luck.

PS I've been on here a while now and I'm not aware of M.2 issues on 690 boards. I might be wrong, but I don't think it's common at all. And yes, your BIOS and ME combination should be fine.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 2703, MEI 2316.5.0.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2264, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 22H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

NickA
Level 7
Have you tried forcing Gen 3 pcie in the bios? Weird it happens to all of them

DOOOLY
Level 7
Zwamdurkel wrote:
I've been reading a bunch of stuff on Z690 having issues with M.2 drives

My system used to work (for maybe 1 day, next morning my drives were no longer detected)

I'm on BIOS 2204 and according to the bios I'm on ME FW version 16.1.25.2020, CPU is 13700k

Have I messed something up? do I need to do things in a certain order? All settings are default.

My drives are Samsung PM981 1TB. I've been having issues for months. I've swapped every single part of this pc except the drives, but they work fine in another pc.

New MB, new GPU, new RAM, new CPU... I just don't know what to do anymore.

In the bios they don't show up under any menu (NVMe Configuration, PCH Storage Configuration, Asus EZ Flash), but sometimes they do appear, yet are gone the next boot.

Again, the drives work perfectly fine in another system (crosshair hero vi) and I've tried a bunch of things. It would be great if you guys could help me out because I'm starting to lose hope in ASUS and am considering switching to another vendors Z790 motherboard if I can't get this working.


I had the same issue I update the ME firmware and it resolved the issue. I think what caused it was reseating the cpu (13900K)

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/MEUpdateTool_16.1.25.2020_T.zip?model=ROG%20MAXIMUS%...

JohnAb wrote:
1) If it only happened in Windows, I'd suspect a drivers issue, but sounds like that can be ruled out
2) Another chap on here recently could only get x1 NVME speeds on his 790 board. It turned out to be a hair under his CPU. Might be worth a look and see if you have any dirt or debris, bent pins etc. You could get one of those cans of clean air and give the socket and base of the CPU a blast to be sure. Check all of your motherboard and PSU connections as well while you have it apart. Worth a try as it sounds like something intermittent - and dirt could cause that.

Good luck.

PS I've been on here a while now and I'm not aware of M.2 issues on 690 boards. I might be wrong, but I don't think it's common at all. And yes, your BIOS and ME combination should be fine.


I will try reseating and checking the cables ones again.. but I have already done that a number of times during part swaps. If you google "Z690 M.2 not detected" you will find a lot of people with similar issues.

NickA wrote:
Have you tried forcing Gen 3 pcie in the bios? Weird it happens to all of them


This did not work for me unfortunately.

DOOOLY wrote:
I had the same issue I update the ME firmware and it resolved the issue. I think what caused it was reseating the cpu (13900K)

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/MEUpdateTool_16.1.25.2020_T.zip?model=ROG%20MAXIMUS%...


As you can read, I'm already on this firmware. I will try reseating the CPU soon, but it's a pain because hardline watercooling...

Zwamdurkel wrote:
I will try reseating and checking the cables ones again.. but I have already done that a number of times during part swaps. If you google "Z690 M.2 not detected" you will find a lot of people with similar issues.



This did not work for me unfortunately.



As you can read, I'm already on this firmware. I will try reseating the CPU soon, but it's a pain because hardline watercooling...


Try this version https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?126385-FIRMWARE-Intel-ME-(H610-B660-H670-Z690-B760-H770-Z7...

smahabee
Level 7

any luck? Im having the same issue. I tried everything stated above. At one point, I had it recognizing 2 out of the 4 drives in mine. But could never get it to read the drive with the os. It’s very frustrating.