cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Hero D6 no boot since installing my 4080

wrightrjj
Level 8
Weird issue that I'm hoping can help me out with.

I have a Z690 Hero with 32gigs of gskill 6600 ram. I used to have a 3090 and when I had that card installed I never had a D6 (no console device) problem.

Then once I installed my 4080 I had to turn my ram down to 5200mhz to get it to boot.

Once in awhile I can get it to boot at XMP 6600 and it'll run fine but if for any reason I have to restart BAM back to D6 no boot. With my ram at 5200mhz I can restart just fine, the issue is with 6600mhz.

I put my 3090 in and everythings back to normal, no issue. Anyone got any idea what the issue could be? I tried reseating both the vid card and ram, checked all the power connections, redid (numerous times) my bios settings, tried different voltages, etc. i just can't figure it out.
7 REPLIES 7

wrightrjj
Level 8
I've tried 2103 bios and the beta 2203, same issue...

can't for the life of me figure out what is going on?

wrightrjj wrote:
I've tried 2103 bios and the beta 2203, same issue...

can't for the life of me figure out what is going on?

1.Try use hdmi on board if your processor has graphics
2.Try insert your new card in different computer

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

with the 4080 installed does the issue persist when the system is at optimised defaults? This includes no overclocking of any kind, including XMP.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

with the 4080 installed does the issue persist when the system is at optimised defaults? This includes no overclocking of any kind, including XMP.

no, if I turn my ram down to 5200mhz it will boot and run fine. Well, it's weird I have to reset cmos to get rid of the D6 error (sometimes I have to reset it 2 to 3 times but then it'll boot). Then I set my ram to 5200mhz and it will boot after getting the D6 error 4 to 5 times more but once I do get it to boot at 5200mhz it runs fine. I can even restart the comp and it'll boot straight away at 5200mhz (after finally initially getting it to boot at 5200mhz, and occasionally I can get it to boot at 6600mhz and it'll run fine but at 6600 I can't restart, if I restart I get the D6 error again)

well i tried another psu so that's not the issue.... as I said I put my 3090 back in and it runs fine, can't be the card, it's a great bin, I was able to get 2nd place in the world for the 4080 in 3dmark port royal so if I have to deal with 5200mhz i guess I will 😛

http://www.3dmark.com/pr/1892656

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

no it's not memory, I've got around the problem by installing an old card in slot 3 via hdmi, and now the cards boot opposite each other... lol. first boot it'll boot to the slot 3 card via hdmi, get into windows hit restart and boom main card boots fine. Happens every time, not sure what the issue is.