cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Forumula - NVMe RAID 5 keeps dying/rebuilding

verkion
Level 7
I have an array of 4x1TB Samsun 980 Pro NVMe drives in RAID 5 configuration as a data disk. However, every 2 weeks or so the array will "die" and then have to rebuild. Has anyone encountered the same issue?

Should I be boosting/adding voltage to the chipset since I'm running so many NVMe drives (1x2TB drive for OS, 4x1TB for RAID 5)?

I'm not overclocking the CPU nor the memory (running 2x32 Corsair RAM) and the computer runs stable (aside from this RAID issue).

Thanks!
verkion
3 REPLIES 3

verkion
Level 7
Well, I've had the chance to try a series of different 980 Pro drives and would you know it...same problem. RAID 5

So, my "not-so-expert" opinion currently, is that: a) backups are a must (of course); b) my board (chipset likely) is faulty/has some issue; c) don't trust your data to these new boards; d) it is still probably a good idea to run some sort of RAID configuration for data storage because at the very least, it can rebuild (backups are still a must).

Unfortunately, I'm really very disappointed with ASUS for this current generation. I've pretty much insisted on using ASUS boards for all my builds (and any builds I do for others) and this is honestly, the most problematic build I've ever had.

Regards,
verkion

verkion wrote:
Unfortunately, I'm really very disappointed with ASUS for this current generation. I've pretty much insisted on using ASUS boards for all my builds (and any builds I do for others) and this is honestly, the most problematic build I've ever had.

This really sums up my experience as well. A few prior ASUS builds before on older chipsets, but this Z690-I was easily the most problematic.

So, after thinking about this a bit more/messing around with 4 completely new NVMe drives, I wonder if bifurcation is causing the issue. As in, ASUS' implementation of it (or how it is set) is the issue. It is always the same "drive install location" that drops out of the array that is, one of the slots on the Hyper M.2 expansion card. Electrically and physically, the expansion card appears to be fine.

Anyways, good luck with your data people! Always backup...

Thanks!
verkion