cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z690 Formula - Detect memory

axiumone
Level 11

I've had this board since launch. In the begining, I had it with 4x16GB sticks from two corsair kits and with early bios revisions that was a nightmare. Fine, I've sold the kits and switched to a single 64GB kit. I was hoping for plug and play. Just XMP is enabled.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/DOMINATOR-PLATINUM-RGB-DDR5-Memory---White/...

I need stability out of this rig, and I'm having two big issues. Every couple of reboots, I'll get stuck on memory detect while booting. I'll have to power cycle and it'll kick me to bios saying it couldn't boot, I'll go into bios and without changing anything, it'll keep working for another couple of boots. The other issue is win 11 refuses to wake from sleep. Instead of waking the system, it will reboot. Bios is 2004

Current bios settings -

33 REPLIES 33

kaedex wrote:
Don't update or you'll risk breaking xmp, whoever praises the recent 2004 and 2103 bios must live the clouds and is not aware of how many people around here (including me) are complaining about it.

Checking for loose cpu contacts had to be the most hilarious suggestion I've seen here, as if the pins magically twisted themselves and broke xmp after I updated the bios and bricked xmp that was working fine on an older bios version for nearly a year.

It is up to you
For me it looks like more stable
When I changed 12900->13900 it manage to work in DDR5-4800 for 128Gb

Nate152
Hi ssstrong,

A cpu cooler that is too tight can warp the pcb and cause issues such as yours, bent cpu socket pins can cause this issue too.

With both sticks installed in slots A2 - B2, enter the bios and hit the F5 key to reset to defaults.

Both sticks should be detected at default settings, if they are, it's possible you just need to adjust some voltages.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi ssstrong,

A cpu cooler that is too tight can warp the pcb and cause issues such as yours, bent cpu socket pins can cause this issue too.

With both sticks installed in slots A2 - B2, enter the bios and hit the F5 key to reset to defaults.

Both sticks should be detected at default settings, if they are, it's possible you just need to adjust some voltages.

Thanks Nate, I've remounted the cooler a few times. No change.

I opened a ticket with corsair. After troubleshooting, they're pining this on the board or the bios. Now what?

Nate152 wrote:
Hi ssstrong,

I've finally got my 2 x 16 Gb DDR 5 DIMM sticks to boot properly (together) but ONLY in B1 and B2 mem slots respectively. This was only since updating to BIOS 2103 with memoery at 1.35 Volts and using either no XMP or XMP1, NOT XMP2. DIMMs will absolutley NOT work (boot) in A1 or A2 in any combination of 1 or 2 sticks, so I only have dual channel not quad.
I do not believe it's anything to do with CPU cooler pressed down too tight or bent socket pins. I Do believe it's an issue with the motherboard itself! :mad:

ssstrong
Level 8
Hello guys, can you look at this video please

ssstrong wrote:
Set Auto in bios for memeory and switch off xmp

ioni0ioni wrote:
ssstrong wrote:
Set Auto in bios for memeory and switch off xmp

Its already AUTO with XMP off

axiumone
Level 11
This is still an issue. Asus?

JohnAb
Level 17
Sorry to hear that you still have problems 😞 Have you tried ASUS customer support directly?
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

axiumone
Level 11
I have, they are not helpful at all. The solution is to RMA the board, this is my 2nd board already. Both have the same issue.

I've upgraded the cpu to a 13900k as well. The system will reboot when waking from sleep instead of waking from sleep like normal.