cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Formula Bios update 2103 from with 13900k, no nvme drivers detected

SuperTurkErcan
Level 7
I'm struggeling for 5 hours now to make m2_1 slot Gen4 Firecuda 530 to be recognized. I even added PCI 4x Optane 900P card. And both are not recognized. I tried enable/disable VMD, CMS. I can only see SATA drive. Both drivers where installed before with Windows 11. Something with TPM?

I also flashed it to 2004 with same issue. Im 40 years old and have ALOT of experience. But this is next level.

Did someone else had same issue after update?
24 REPLIES 24

catch36
Level 8
I had the same problem after updating to 2103. Only the 530 OS Nvme drive and the usb drive I used to update the bios were visible. My sata drives and a second 520 Nvme drive were not visible when I was checking the Boot menu. I not quite sure what I did to fix it but it was corrected after rebooting the pc. I think I tried changing the boot priority order with the only drives visible and rebooted and all was well again.

Also did you update the bios ME firmware to v16.1.25.1917. I had already updated the ME firmware prior to updating to 2103 and still had the missing drive problem with a 12900K and a Apex motherboard.

magnusr
Level 7
Hi I had the same issue after installing bios 2103 and a new 13900K. You need to install the latest Intel MEI firmware for the M2_1 port to work again.

What I did was move the drive to M2_3. Install the latest MEI driver to be able to update the MEI firmware. Then the MEI firmware is updated you can move the drive back to M2_1. It also fixed memory beeing able to run at much higher frequencies.

I think Asus made a mistake here. They should have had a note saying latest MEI firmware required. Or updated both during bios update if possible.

magnusr wrote:
Hi I had the same issue after installing bios 2103 and a new 13900K. You need to install the latest Intel MEI firmware for the M2_1 port to work again.

What I did was move the drive to M2_3. Install the latest MEI driver to be able to update the MEI firmware. Then the MEI firmware is updated you can move the drive back to M2_1. It also fixed memory beeing able to run at much higher frequencies.

I think Asus made a mistake here. They should have had a note saying latest MEI firmware required. Or updated both during bios update if possible.

I've just installed a 13900k on my Z690 Maximus Hero & I can't see the drive on m.2_1 slot. I swapped my OS & data drives from slot 1 to 3. So now I'm able to see & boot from the OS.

Before I updated the bios & now after updating bios, I cant see slot 1. I've updated the Me driver, but when I try to install the MEupdatetool, it tells me the mei driver is missing.

What should I do? Its not any of my drives, its definitely slot 1 that can't be detected.

Update:
I downloaded the correct MEI driver & ME firmware from MoKiChU. I stress, follow the installation instructions strictly. One other thing, the extracted files needed to be copied to the C:/ drive (somehow it didn't work on the desktop)
MB: Asus Z690 Maximus hero
RAM: 2x32gb g.skill Trident Z 5600mhz ddr5
NVME: 2x Samsung nmve 1tb 980 pro
HYPERCARD: 2x Crucial P3 4TB nvme
CPU: i9-13900k
GPU: Gigabyte 3080 Ti Eagle OC
COOLER: Gigabyte waterforce 360
CASE: CM TD500 mesh
PSU: Corsair HX1000

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

As above. New ME Firmware and Driver are required. See here for details.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?131027-RaptorLake-Resources
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

As above. New ME Firmware and Driver are required. See here for details.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?131027-RaptorLake-Resources

I just have one question here. I updated to Bios 2103 before installing the MEI firmware since I did not know it was a requirement at the time. Everything seems to be working. Should I try to install BIOS 2103 once more just to be sure or leave as is?

4blue
Level 7
After installing of the new 13900k and Nvidia 4090 FE I had the issue on not booting into windows as the nvme drive was missing because of old intel me firmware. So i used Rufus to get a bootable WIndows 11 to go usb stick and booted from it. When WIndows was loaded I could install the latest Intel ME firmware as suggested above and then I could again boot into my regular windows 11. The G-Skill DDR5 RAM also work now with XMP1 and native 6000 MHz. I used the latest bios 1203 on a Z690 Apex Mainboard.

JBBlack
Level 8
Yikes, will this issue be present if I have a new motherboard and update to 2103 before ever installing windows to any M.2? I am waiting on my PSU that will be here today and I was going to update the BIOS before installing anything...

Or is this specifically a windows issue seeing as it has to be installed from within windows? Unless I'm missing something?

ROG MAXIMUS Z690 APEX
i9 12900k
32g 4800 DDR5
RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Creative AE-7
Samsung 980 Pro (in M.2_1)
ASUS Maximus Z690 Apex ; intel 12900k ; ASUS Strix 4080 OC RTX ; 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz XMP1 ; Samsung 980 Pro Gen4/Windows 11 Pro ; Creative AE-7 ; 2-2TB Samsung 970- Evo in DIMM.2 ; Dual LG 4k Screens ; EVGA 1300P+

JBBlack wrote:
Yikes, will this issue be present if I have a new motherboard and update to 2103 before ever installing windows to any M.2? I am waiting on my PSU that will be here today and I was going to update the BIOS before installing anything...

Or is this specifically a windows issue?

ROG MAXIMUS Z690 APEX
i9 12900k
32g 4800 DDR5
RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Creative AE-7
Samsung 980 Pro (in M.2_1)

I have had nearly the same config like you have at the moment. Please check at the Bios start screen your current Intel ME version. If its lower than the one posted in te beginning you can update it from Windows. Install new bios 1203 (for 13th intel CPU generation) Afterwards insert the new components, re-setup the bios and everything should work fine! As well as Windows onto the M2 SSD.

4blue wrote:
I have had nearly the same config like you have at the moment. Please check at the Bios start screen your current Intel ME version. If its lower than the one posted in te beginning you can update it from Windows. Install new bios 1203 (for 13th intel CPU generation) Afterwards insert the new components, re-setup the bios and everything should work fine! As well as Windows onto the M2 SSD.

Do you mean, go ahead and install 2103? (or 1203?) and then install windows, and then update the ME from the new windows installation? I have my M.2 in the first (top) slot.

thanks for the help.
ASUS Maximus Z690 Apex ; intel 12900k ; ASUS Strix 4080 OC RTX ; 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz XMP1 ; Samsung 980 Pro Gen4/Windows 11 Pro ; Creative AE-7 ; 2-2TB Samsung 970- Evo in DIMM.2 ; Dual LG 4k Screens ; EVGA 1300P+