Z690 formula 4 sticks of ram problems

LegaI
Level 7

Hey all

i912900k

rtx3090

2x gskill trident z5 6400mhz

1000 watt psu 

Recently I purchased a ram upgrade from 2 sticks of 16 to 4 sticks of 16. When building my pc i have problems of detect  memory issue which this motherboard is know for (fun) but after testing the ram in single slots and in different postion's it was fixed. The problem now is that now that im upgrading my ram to 4 sticks totalling  to 64gb 6400mhz i continuously crash and or blue screen. It occasionally boots but will crash when any load is put on it. Ive tried the new ram in both 1a,b and 2a,b both of which work in their own pairs so the ram isnt the issue. I dont know why when i add 2 more sticks the PC ******s the bed. It maybe a power load thing but im not too sure if it is or not.

1 REPLY 1

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi @LegaI 

Combining and mixing memory kits isn't supported by memory or motherboard vendors. If you combine memory kits, the overclocked settings in which the kit is validated for XMP/EXPO are no longer valid. This is because memory vendors bin and validate the memory kit in the density in which it is sold. Whether we combine a kit with the same part number, frequency, timings or voltage the advice remains the same.

You'd need to inspect the MB QVL to ascertain what the platform is capable of with 12th gen processors.

Simply put, 6400MT in 4x16 is simply not going to work. If ASUS hasn't validated any kits in this density and speed, you have very little chance of success. Check the QVL and purchase a memory kit that is validated.

For better success in achieving "plug and play" overclocking, consider memory kits that are one to three frequency bins below the motherboard's maximum qualification on the QVL. The higher the frequency and tighter the timings, the more likely manual tuning might be needed to adjust for signal variance between parts—success with memory kits at or near the top of the QVL validation table depends largely on the quality of the CPU memory controller.

ROG MAXIMUS Z690 FORMULA | Gaming motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG Global (asus.com)

Silent_Scone_0-1708415660398.png

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090