cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690-F Windows 11 crashes on startup after bios update to 2305

GreyBeardedCode
Level 8

Hi 

I have been having intermittent problems with my system, with windows 11 crashing to desktop when playing certain games, or having startup blue screen issues throwing thread exceptions etc.  After reading the forums I decided to update to the latest bios update 2305.  I did the update but afterward my pc does not want to boot into windows at all and just keeps blue screening or resetting with thread exception or IRQ more or less or unable to write to read only memory errors.  I tried rolling back the bios update to the previous version but its seems that is not allowed.  Can anyone help or has anyone had similar issues.

I am running the z690-5 with 500mhz DDR 5 Corsair memory, I9 thirteenth generation, and GTX 3080.

14 REPLIES 14

eduvieira
Level 8

Exactly the same problem here. I even tried formatting the PC and reinstalling Windows, but the computer freezes or restarts at around 12%. In my case, I was using BIOS 1403, and following the recommendation on the Asus website, I also updated the Intel ME Firmware. After that, I can't go back to any BIOS version below 2004. Apart from that, I tested all versions from 2004 onwards, and they all have the same issue. I'll run some more tests today, and if I find anything, I'll let you know. If you manage to solve it, please post it here.

Geno71
Level 8

@GreyBeardedCode @eduvieira 

Do you guys have more than 1 M.2 drive in the system? I had a crazy issue with my Tuf Z690 D4 WiFi a few months ago. It started after a BIOS update in September 2022. To save the space, here is a thread I had on the LTT forums about it. It was a real roller coaster. But basically, after that update, my system started BSODing like crazy. I spent weeks troubleshooting, going back and forth on possible solutions, but was never able to resolve it, and ended up replacing the board. Thankfully, BestBuy was nice enough to let me exchange months after the original purchase. What I concluded, is that my system just couldn't handle all the PSIe traffic I was throwing at it. It worked fine with one Gen4 M.2 SSD. But completely refused to work with 2 Gen4. I did work with Gen4 and Gen3, but only 2 drives at the time, and my set-up was 1 main Gen4 drive, a secondary Gen4 drive, and 2 Gen3 drives. It also completely refused to work with Samsung drives, and was only working with WD drives. Just doesn't make sense, does it? Anyway, I replaced the board, and updated BIOS to the last version I knew to be stable, from August 2022. At this time, everything works fine with my 4 M.2 drives, and I'm just staying away from any BIOS updates on this board. Might have been a defective board, who knows, I'm just not interested in testing any more theories with this system. And I'm not sure if I'll be interested in another ASUS motherboard for my next build.

Hi Geno71 thanks for the reply, I do actually have 2 m.2 drives both Gen4 and Gen 3, And funny enough Samsung and western digital.  So your response is relevant.  I will try and remove the other drives and see if that helps at all, if it does will try your route of replacing the mb with my supplier.  It has a 3 year warranty so will give it a go.  Thanks again, I agree I usualy run Gigabyte or MSI on my builds first time trying ASUS and am honestly going to go back to Gigabyte or MSI for my next board again as this is the first time I have had these kind of issues on my high end system.

GreyBeardedCode
Level 8

Sorry also pissed about the bios roll back not being supported, I have never had an MB before which prevents this.  Its the first thing you do when the update causes more issues...

The lack of rollback is normally due to ME firmware, this is often due to security reasons. Unfortunately it's not uncommon for new ME firmware hinder overclocking occasionally.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

eduvieira
Level 8

I have one M.2 Gen4 and two M.2 Gen3 drives. I tested it with just one drive, and even tried removing all of them and using a SATA SSD, but the problem still persisted. I bought another motherboard (Gigabyte Z790) to test, but the issue continues. Honestly, I'm quite lost with this problem and I've never seen anything like it before. I purchased two more RAM sticks to test. I'll post the results as soon as they arrive. One observation: I will test the RAM because after updating the BIOS, I enabled XMP, and I'm not sure if it somehow damaged my memory. If that's not the case, the only thing left to consider is the processor, which is also a suspicion since I also updated the Intel ME Firmware.

eduvieira
Level 8

@GreyBeardedCode 

Did you have any news about it? Today, 2 new RAM modules arrived, I replaced them, but still no luck. The only option left is that this BIOS update might have damaged the processor. Have you tried testing it with another one?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hello,

Does the behaviour persist at optimised defaults? This includes no XMP or overclocking of any kind. If the system memory is unstable, it will exhibit the behaviour you describe.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

eduvieira
Level 8

@Silent_Scone 

Yes, even after resetting the BIOS and not changing anything, selecting optimized defaults, or any configuration I've made. I've even installed the BIOS versions: 2204, 2103, and 2004, and all in the same way. I can't go back to the version I was using (1403) due to the Intel ME Firmware update (which seems to be the cause of this problem).