cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690-F USB Power Delivery Issue

junkyard2902
Level 7
Hi,

I have an issue with all my 3.2 Gen 1 USBs on my Z690-F motherboard. I have the latest drivers and BIOS. What happens is during heavy usage such as gaming, whatever is connected into the Gen 1 ports gets automatically disconnected and I have to reconnect them to get them back working. The device being used has no issue what so ever and I'm absolutely sure it is a power delivery issue.

What I have tried:

• I've tried re-installing drivers in Device Manager.
  • I've tried turning off so the PC can turn off the ports to save power. I even turned on High Performance mode.
  • I went into BIOS and tried using legacy port on and off.
  • I even tried with another device, same issue.
  • I encounter the same issue with the USB 2.0 ports.

The device being used is a HyperX Cloud II. I have no issue with the 3.2 Gen 2 USB ports.
9 REPLIES 9

junkyard2902
Level 7
Bump.. please help

The USB 2.0 spec is 5V 500mA (0.5A) per port. The USB 3 spec is 5V 900mA (0.9A) You need to find out the total deliverable power to all the ports. The port will only deliver what the device asks for, sometimes even less on lappys. Are you using a hub?

awesome14 wrote:
The USB 2.0 spec is 5V 500mA (0.5A) per port. The USB 3 spec is 5V 900mA (0.9A) You need to find out the total deliverable power to all the ports. The port will only deliver what the device asks for, sometimes even less on lappys. Are you using a hub?

Before I was using the headset on USB 2.0/3.0 ports and it functioned without any issues at all. I have currently connected the Mouse and Keyboard to USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports for them to work without any issues. It is only the 3.2 Gen 1 and USB 2.0 ports on this motherboard causing this issue.

I am not using a hub. But how do I find out the total deliverable power to the ports? I also don't think the HyperX Cloud II is requiring that much power.

junkyard2902 wrote:
Before I was using the headset on USB 2.0/3.0 ports and it functioned without any issues at all. I have currently connected the Mouse and Keyboard to USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports for them to work without any issues. It is only the 3.2 Gen 1 and USB 2.0 ports on this motherboard causing this issue.

I am not using a hub. But how do I find out the total deliverable power to the ports? I also don't think the HyperX Cloud II is requiring that much power.

I would try to eliminate the possibility of a software conflict by disabling optional startups per standard troubleshooting. Also just on the off chance something is screwy with power settings in windows, run the power troubleshooter in control panel troubleshooting. But if this does not help then I would look to using latest drivers and bios. Have you tried MoKiChU driver packages? The best. You might need to post the question which drivers for your board unless it was previously answered by MoKiChU in the subthreads. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?119120-INDEX-All-My-Firmware-Drivers-Software-Threads
Also check out his tool Driver Store Explorer for cleaning up old drivers. Awesome tool.

Jimbo93 wrote:
I would try to eliminate the possibility of a software conflict by disabling optional startups per standard troubleshooting. Also just on the off chance something is screwy with power settings in windows, run the power troubleshooter in control panel troubleshooting. But if this does not help then I would look to using latest drivers and bios. Have you tried MoKiChU driver packages? The best. You might need to post the question which drivers for your board unless it was previously answered by MoKiChU in the subthreads. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?119120-INDEX-All-My-Firmware-Drivers-Software-Threads
Also check out his tool Driver Store Explorer for cleaning up old drivers. Awesome tool.

I have confirmed that it is not any software in startup. I also don't encounter this issue when I'm using the computer normally, only during heavy usage. I have the latest Windows updates, BIOS and drivers that are available here https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z690-f-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_download

I have even downloaded Driver Store Explorer and cleaned up old drivers.

I'm having the same issue as well - seems like power to the USB ports (Front and back) seems to momentarily drop which is causing all the issues.

I've done pretty much everything that is possible as well, agree that these issues only occur under medium -heavy load.

Thought it could be a PSU issue so bought a new 1000W Asus PSU and still the issues persist.

Only difference is I'm on Z690-Maximus Hero.

Hoping someone is able to help

I was facing the same issue but after reading your post, I have solved my problem. Thanks for the help. I am so happy today because when I was searching for your post on google search, I have also found https://www.topessaywriting.org/samples/islam website in which I have found so many essay samples and I can read them all for free.

Jonald wrote:
I'm having the same issue as well - seems like power to the USB ports (Front and back) seems to momentarily drop which is causing all the issues.

I've done pretty much everything that is possible as well, agree that these issues only occur under medium -heavy load.

Thought it could be a PSU issue so bought a new 1000W Asus PSU and still the issues persist.

I when I built my new PC with Z690 and 12th gen, as you, I purchased a high quality/capacity PSU. I was having the same USB power issues. What I completely forgot to do was upgrade my UPS. Once I purchased and installed a high quality line interactive UPS with plenty of spare capacity all my problems went away. You may have a different problem of course but I though I would share as there is likely someone out there it may help.

Jonald wrote:

Yeah same here HERO Z690 too. Glad I didn't replace my PSU