cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690-F Not Detecting GPU

Sanchitosaurus
Level 7
So I'll preface this with the fact that I'm a noob and this is my first build. I have the setup listed below and I cannot get the graphics card to show in my device manager. When I plug the HDMI into it, it's a black screen. I have tried updating drivers but it tells me there is no card on my computer. I have tried numerous times reinstalling the GPU and am confident in the contact it is making. My case will not allow me to try my other card slot due to the size of this 3070. When plugged in to my PSU, the two power indicators on the GPU show no juice yet when I unplug it they show power to the GPU. I have tried other cords my PSU supplied but am having no luck getting the GPU working. Can anyone help me get on the right track?

Asus ROG Strix Z690-F
Intel i9 12900K
G Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 *2 x 16GB
WD Black 1TB SN850 x2
EVGA 1000 GT
Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 2.0
Running Windows 10 64bit*
28 REPLIES 28

Maybe a stupid suggestion but have you tried different cables? Like Different Display Port cables, or trying different HDMI cables. Are you using DP or HDMI?

myc24 wrote:
Maybe a stupid suggestion but have you tried different cables? Like Different Display Port cables, or trying different HDMI cables. Are you using DP or HDMI?

I have not try but is not the cable, The card is not detected in device management. And i have 2 screens same on both.

Nate152
Ok so the gpu's are working fine.

What I'd try next is your psu with your brothers pc. If all is well, it looks to be an issue with the pcie 5.0 slot.

Nate152 wrote:
Ok so the gpu's are working fine.

What I'd try next is your psu with your brothers pc. If all is well, it looks to be an issue with the pcie 5.0 slot.

I wasn't able to test my PSU in my brother's PC, as he is too busy currently using his PC. I did however get a friends RM 1000x, and tried it on my system with the same result, so it's definitely not the power supply...

theroc44
Level 9
It sounds like the slot might be cooked. I know this may be redundant but did you connect all the mobo power cables?
If you can't sort RMA might be the unfortunate outcome. But I'd exhaust all options. New cables, powers supply if possible, gpu swap. Safe mode device manager etc check the power cables reseat them.

theroc44 wrote:
It sounds like the slot might be cooked. I know this may be redundant but did you connect all the mobo power cables?
If you can't sort RMA might be the unfortunate outcome. But I'd exhaust all options. New cables, powers supply if possible, gpu swap. Safe mode device manager etc check the power cables reseat them.

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked all cables and reseated them multiple times over the past couple of days with these test and everything is definitely working fine, other than the GPU not being detected. Both cards are also definitely working in my brother's PC under load and everything, and then not being detected in mine. I have also tried a superior PSU in the same as mine last night, but that ended with the same result.

I also did the commands you suggested, and while some corruption was found and fixed, it did not resolve the problem.

hi,

I have the same problem, i have built new case recently Z690-F, new RTX 3090, new PSU Seasonic platinum1300W, i9 12900k,fresh install windows ect....

I'm an It tech, i never seen a chaos like that.
First i was thinking it's problem of my RTX so RMA and same problem with the new one.

BSOD if i put 5600mhz with my DDR5 who are in 5600mhz.

Now gpu detected only if i unplug the card and plug in, i have rollback bios to 1304, it's worse.

With the bios 1403 i can play 2h it depend, then black screen, and sound freeze.

So after rma a new RTX 3090, now rma new Z690 ? it's a joke... I am disgusted,

Your mobo the main culprit with some communication channel with your PCIe lane. Proceed with RMA .

Nol69 wrote:
hi,

I have the same problem, i have built new case recently Z690-F, new RTX 3090, new PSU Seasonic platinum1300W, i9 12900k,fresh install windows ect....

I'm an It tech, i never seen a chaos like that.
First i was thinking it's problem of my RTX so RMA and same problem with the new one.

BSOD if i put 5600mhz with my DDR5 who are in 5600mhz.

Now gpu detected only if i unplug the card and plug in, i have rollback bios to 1304, it's worse.

With the bios 1403 i can play 2h it depend, then black screen, and sound freeze.

So after rma a new RTX 3090, now rma new Z690 ? it's a joke... I am disgusted,

Hi nol69

I would investigate ram instability, the fact you get a bsod when setting 5600MHz pretty much points to this.

Are you running 16GB, 32GB, 64GB?

Full stability can be achieved by raising a few voltages which is likely all you need.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi nol69

I would investigate ram instability, the fact you get a bsod when setting 5600MHz pretty much points to this.

Are you running 16GB, 32GB, 64GB?

Full stability can be achieved by raising a few voltages which is likely all you need.

Hi. Do you have any reach to Asus?

Been trying to report the idle voltage too low with no luck. idle cpu voltage drops to 0.200 and its causing a lot of freezes that people are thinking its ram related, which is not. It affects the entire asus 600 series.

ie:

https://www.overclock.net/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=1920,fit=scal...

Thanks