cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690-F Not Detecting GPU

Sanchitosaurus
Level 7
So I'll preface this with the fact that I'm a noob and this is my first build. I have the setup listed below and I cannot get the graphics card to show in my device manager. When I plug the HDMI into it, it's a black screen. I have tried updating drivers but it tells me there is no card on my computer. I have tried numerous times reinstalling the GPU and am confident in the contact it is making. My case will not allow me to try my other card slot due to the size of this 3070. When plugged in to my PSU, the two power indicators on the GPU show no juice yet when I unplug it they show power to the GPU. I have tried other cords my PSU supplied but am having no luck getting the GPU working. Can anyone help me get on the right track?

Asus ROG Strix Z690-F
Intel i9 12900K
G Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 *2 x 16GB
WD Black 1TB SN850 x2
EVGA 1000 GT
Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 2.0
Running Windows 10 64bit*
28 REPLIES 28

Chainbold
Level 11
Sanchitosaurus wrote:
So I'll preface this with the fact that I'm a noob and this is my first build. I have the setup listed below and I cannot get the graphics card to show in my device manager. When I plug the HDMI into it, it's a black screen. I have tried updating drivers but it tells me there is no card on my computer. I have tried numerous times reinstalling the GPU and am confident in the contact it is making. My case will not allow me to try my other card slot due to the size of this 3070. When plugged in to my PSU, the two power indicators on the GPU show no juice yet when I unplug it they show power to the GPU. I have tried other cords my PSU supplied but am having no luck getting the GPU working. Can anyone help me get on the right track?

Asus ROG Strix Z690-F
Intel i9 12900K
G Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 *2 x 16GB
WD Black 1TB SN850 x2
EVGA 1000 GT
Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 2.0
Running Windows 10 64bit*

Have you considered that the GPU might be dead? Is it new, or transferred from previous system? Is the GPU fan spinning? How about the BIOS settings? Did you try re-setting to "optimized"?

Chainbold wrote:
Have you considered that the GPU might be dead? Is it new, or transferred from previous system? Is the GPU fan spinning? How about the BIOS settings? Did you try re-setting to "optimized"?

it most certainly is a possibility. All components were purchased new from Newegg so I'd guess that's the least likely of the scenarios. The fans spin initially when the GPU powers up but do not stay running. I did see some info that it has a setting where they won't come on until the GPU reaches a certain temperature which seems unlikely to happen being that it isn't doing anything. I haven't really dove into the BIOS stuff yet. I will look into it when I get off of work today.

Â*Appreciate the response and I'll feedback if messing with the BIOS works.Â*

Sanchitosaurus wrote:
it most certainly is a possibility. All components were purchased new from Newegg so I'd guess that's the least likely of the scenarios. The fans spin initially when the GPU powers up but do not stay running. I did see some info that it has a setting where they won't come on until the GPU reaches a certain temperature which seems unlikely to happen being that it isn't doing anything. I haven't really dove into the BIOS stuff yet. I will look into it when I get off of work today.

Â*Appreciate the response and I'll feedback if messing with the BIOS works.Â*

So did you ever find a solution? Because my system is doing the exact same thing.

Nate152
Hi guys,

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Double check you are using the proper pcie power cables.

The Aurus 3070 2.0 has two 8-pin pcie power cables, be sure to use two separate 8-pin pcie power cables for the best stability.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi guys,

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Double check you are using the proper pcie power cables.

The Aurus 3070 2.0 has two 8-pin pcie power cables, be sure to use two separate 8-pin pcie power cables for the best stability.

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

In my case I am not using the same card, but having the same problem with the same board.

I have tried 2 known working cards in my brother's PC (GTX 970 and RX 480) with the correct power connected and neither work. It is worth noting that they used to work, and everything was perfectly fine. It just stopped suddenly and now neither of the cards want to be detected in the slot. I have seen this issue a handful of times in these forums, but no one ever reported back with a solution to their problem. 😕

Nate152
Are you using a cpu with onboard graphics?

Try booting with the cpu graphics.

Nate152 wrote:
Are you using a cpu with onboard graphics?

Try booting with the cpu graphics.

Hi there,

Yes, that works. My system is actually fully functional apart from no cards being detected in the PCIe 5.0 slot. The Device Manager shows nothing being in those slots. People have been speculating that it might be a failing PSU, but I've tried a different PSU -- albeit a weaker one -- and had the same result, so I'm suspecting the baord now, since I see other people with this issue, but I can't be sure.

Nate152
It looks like you have it narrowed down to a dead pcie 5.0 slot or two dead gpu's.

Are you able to try the gpu's in another pc?

This will confirm if it's the pcie 5.0 slot or two dead gpu's.

Nate152 wrote:
It looks like you have it narrowed down to a dead pcie 5.0 slot or two dead gpu's.

Are you able to try the gpu's in another pc?

This will confirm if it's the pcie 5.0 slot or two dead gpu's.

Yes, the 2 cards work in my brothers PC flawlessly. I also don't think it's necessarily a dead PCIe 5.0 slot (which is what makes this issue strange) because the LEDs on the RX 480 light up when inserted into the port, even if I don't plug in PSU power, which guess means that the port is functional, but there is something else going on with it?

I don't know... It's the strangest issue I've ever had.