cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Extreme memory issues

jrrog1975
Level 7
I've been running 32 GB Corsair Dominator 5600 C36 for a month without issues. Both default 4800 and XMP 5600 work fine. I tried a Corsair Dominator 6200 C36 and it ran fine at 4800 but was unstable with XMP at 6200. Tonight I'm trying the new Gskill 6400 C32 kit. At the default (non XMP) mode the system will only post in safe most and the RAM speed gets set to 4000 MHz. When I enable XMP 6400 on the Gskill kit the system will post without issue, but memtest shows errors. What's the deal with DDR 5 stability? Is there an issue with my motherboard? Why would it post fine with XMP, but not at default settings on the Gskill kit?

Is it necessary to clear CMOS when switching memory kits? If so, why?
2 REPLIES 2

jrrog1975
Level 7
jrrog1975 wrote:
I've been running 32 GB Corsair Dominator 5600 C36 for a month without issues. Both default 4800 and XMP 5600 work fine. I tried a Corsair Dominator 6200 C36 and it ran fine at 4800 but was unstable with XMP at 6200. Tonight I'm trying the new Gskill 6400 C32 kit. At the default (non XMP) mode the system will only post in safe most and the RAM speed gets set to 4000 MHz. When I enable XMP 6400 on the Gskill kit the system will post without issue, but memtest shows errors. What's the deal with DDR 5 stability? Is there an issue with my motherboard? Why would it post fine with XMP, but not at default settings on the Gskill kit?

Is it necessary to clear CMOS when switching memory kits? If so, why?

Update:
I went back to BIOS 0811, as it seemed 1101 was causing the issues with my new Gskill 6400 C32 kit. With 1101, it would only run at 4000 MHz (non XMP). I'm also now able to run XMP 1 at 6200 C32, but 6400 is unstable. What should I try changing first? Would the XMP 2 profile be better? (yea I'm a noob with RAM overclocking).

jrrog1975 wrote:
Update:
I went back to BIOS 0811, as it seemed 1101 was causing the issues with my new Gskill 6400 C32 kit. With 1101, it would only run at 4000 MHz (non XMP). I'm also now able to run XMP 1 at 6200 C32, but 6400 is unstable. What should I try changing first? Would the XMP 2 profile be better? (yea I'm a noob with RAM overclocking).

Hello, jrrog1975

A lot of users faced with memory issues. Sometimes new BIOS fixing it, sometimes - not. I still do not understand the root cause of all that issues but I have an assumption that (at least for my case) memory crahses and instability is related to memory module temperature.

For my personal case, voltage of the memory module near to 1.3 V (that seems like default voltage for 6k+ memory speed) leads to memory temperature over 60 degrees when memory module is intesively used (under memory stress test)

On that temperature I've found my G.Skill memory modules on my motherboard become unstable. It may run fine until real load happened, but when temperature is close to 60 degrees - it may lead to game crash or even to BSOD.

So, I have an assumption this is not only my case.

Could you please check your maximum memory module temperature when it is working at XMP profile and have some load (gaming, special tests, etc).

If your maximum memory module will also reach 60+ degrees, I suppose it is the same reason and you need to manually manipulate with memory (and memory related) voltage to make sure it never reach it, or as an option - you may need to add extra cooling for memory module.

For my case (my CPU+MB+MEMORY) I was able only to run G.Skill 5600 memory module on a manual voltage (XMP was not stable for my case)

Hope that information may help.

P.S. You may find out memory module temperature using HWInfo64 application on 'sesnsors status' screen, there is a columns that provide min, max, avg and current temperature and can be really helpful.