cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Extreme crash with iCue

raybantracing
Level 8
Hi
I have the exact same problem described on this thread.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?128743-SPD-Write-Protection-FALSE-and-my-Z690-Extreme-hang...

It seems that icue makes the motherboard crash on reboot.
This all starts with RGB on the RAM that stop moving, then if you reboot, the motherboard crash and does not boot.

I have seen that there are other threads in the Corsair forum where Corsair says that Asus is working on this problem.

I have a Z690 Extreme with Corsair Dominator 5600MHz, this kit is present in the QVL list for the mobo.

Using 2x16GB

If I uninstall iCue, the problem disappear or
if I Enable SPD Write protection in BIOS the problem disappear.

In both cases I can't control the RGB of my RAM.

Is there a real solution for the problem?

Thank you
18 REPLIES 18

I'm on Z690 apex + win11 and updated iCue to v4.27.168 yesterday. No amoury crate installed.

Afterwards I was experiencing random BSODs during bootup, just sitting there, or in a game. The bug check string and driver cause changes between BSODs. Additionally I would also get random CTDs (chrome, various games, etc) with no error logs.

I was planning on buying a new set of DDR5s today (and maybe PSU) as a possible fix and decided to uninstall iCue first just to see what would happen and voila! No more issues for a few hours now.

Edit: I should note the only Corsair product I have is a AX1600i PSU. I was planning on purchasing new DDR5 or PSU because I was guessing that maybe those 2 items had died, but ended up uninstalling iCue first as a cheap and easy troubleshooting step.

stchu777 wrote:
I'm on Z690 apex + win11 and updated iCue to v4.27.168 yesterday. No amoury crate installed.

Afterwards I was experiencing random BSODs during bootup, just sitting there, or in a game. The bug check string and driver cause changes between BSODs. Additionally I would also get random CTDs (chrome, various games, etc) with no error logs.

I was planning on buying a new set of DDR5s today (and maybe PSU) as a possible fix and decided to uninstall iCue first just to see what would happen and voila! No more issues for a few hours now.

I have found this thread on the Corsair's forum, Corsair says that it's an Asus problem that should be fixed by Asus.
https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/177357-asus-z690-extreme-hangs-on-boot-due-to-icue/page/2/

please post your experience in the Corsair forum too or they will never look into it.

raybantracing wrote:
I have found this thread on the Corsair's forum, Corsair says that it's an Asus problem that should be fixed by Asus.
https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/177357-asus-z690-extreme-hangs-on-boot-due-to-icue/page/2/

please post your experience in the Corsair forum too or they will never look into it.

Thanks for the link and I also added more context to my above post.

ahfoo
Level 13
In my opinion, the issue for both iCUE and Armoury crate will never end. Either side fixed the issue, as long another update pop up from either party will cause issue again and again. Unless bother party can reach a agreement for the co=op framework will not really work well too. They still need to face third party for causing another layer of issue such GPU driver.

I have this problem even if I completely uninstall crate with a fresh new install when using icue.
... this can let me think that it's a corsair's problem but corsair says that it's an asus problem.

raybantracing wrote:
the problem I have is the same of the opener, I have this problem even if I completely uninstall crate with a fresh new install when using icue.
... this can let me think that it's a corsair's problem but corsair says that it's an asus problem.

When you uninstall Armory Crate from the uninstaller, there are some file did not uninstall itself. you need to manually delete from the folder. Please follow the following thread the correct way to remove Asus Armory Crate from your system.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?129347-Uninstalled-all-ASUS-software-from-system-but-still...

ahfoo wrote:
When you uninstall Armory Crate from the uninstaller, there are some file did not uninstall itself. you need to manually delete from the folder. Please follow the following thread the correct way to remove Asus Armory Crate from your system.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?129347-Uninstalled-all-ASUS-software-from-system-but-still...

the problem is there even with a fresh new Windows install with no Crate installed.

ahfoo
Level 13
Something I do not understand what SPD come in picture for a non SPD related implementation. I really dont understand the rational around it and what corsair was thinking. That my opinion.

ahfoo wrote:
Something I do not understand what SPD come in picture for a non SPD related implementation. I really dont understand the rational around it and what corsair was thinking. That my opinion.

Corsair RGB RAM kits uses SPD to control the RGB on the RAM sticks.
This works well on every "non Asus motherboards".

Differently from other manufacturer Asus wants that users sets an explicit setting in BIOS to enable the SPD Write.
They call it "SPD Write Protection" and this setting must be disabled to let icue control the RGB on the RAM.

When you disable SPD write protection on Asus BIOS you can control the RGB on the RAM,
after hours the SPD got corrupted at some point, when this happen, every "test software" like AIDA, CPUz, ecc. stops being able to read the SPD,
when this happen, if you reboot the PC it hangs on boot.

Corsair says that it's an Asus problem since it happen on Asus boards only but Asus ignores the problem as you see from this thread, like other problems all in all.