cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690-E Restart problem??

DaveImagery
Level 9
Hi everyone,

Just purchased this ROG Z690-E Gaming Wifi board, and I'm noticing something peculiar. Every time I restart, Windows goes through the shutdown procedure, but before actually restarting, it powers off for like a second, then immediately powers on, and continues the restart process. I can actually hear my two storage drives click off, and the system shuts off, but again, just for a second. Not experiencing any problems with the board, this just struck me as odd. Is this something the new boards do now? I have verified my 13700k and ram are seated properly. Greatly appreciate any insight you all might have, thank you.

Sidenote: I am using Thermal Grizzly's contact frame for Intel 12th & 13th Gen sockets, and followed installation instructions to the letter.

Specs:

Intel 13700k cpu (stock overclock settings)
ROG Z690-E Gaming Wifi mobo (latest Bios, mobo drivers)
Windows 11 22H2 64 Bit Build 22621.1194
ASUS Tuff RTX 3080 ti 12GB
Samsung 990 Pro 1TB NVME ssd (OS drive)
GSkill Flare X5 32GB DDR5-5600 (CL36-36-36-89) with XOCP II enabled
TEAMGROUP MP33 1TB NVME ssd (game drive)
WD Black SATA 7200RPM 4TB Mechanical drives X2
Corsair RM850x 850watt Platinum rated Power Supply
5 REPLIES 5

RogScott
Level 12
Yes, the Z690-E does this sometimes (I think all Asus Z690's do it, but not sure about that). I usually notice it when I have completely disconnected power (i.e., power supply OFF or unplugged, so no 5v standby to board). On a normal "restart" from windows, it does not happen.

Scared the heck out of me the first time I powered up my build! Double-checked everything, hit the power switch, lights came on, all looked good, then it suddenly powered off. I thought something was shorted or misconnected. But then it powered back on and continued booting just fine. I wish ASUS had included some kind of warning pamphlet with the board advising of that behavior.

I recall some discussion of this on the forum shortly after the board was released. I *think* (my memory isn't perfect) ASUS said it had something to do with overclocking (including "Asus Optimizations" which default to Enabled in bios), where they had to power-reset the processor during boot to enable certain changes they did not want enabled at initial power-on. The search function isn't great here but you may be able to find that old discussion, in which an ASUS rep did respond it was "normal" and a vague reason why they did it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

RogScott wrote:
Yes, the Z690-E does this sometimes (I think all Asus Z690's do it, but not sure about that). I usually notice it when I have completely disconnected power (i.e., power supply OFF or unplugged, so no 5v standby to board). On a normal "restart" from windows, it does not happen.

Scared the heck out of me the first time I powered up my build! Double-checked everything, hit the power switch, lights came on, all looked good, then it suddenly powered off. I thought something was shorted or misconnected. But then it powered back on and continued booting just fine. I wish ASUS had included some kind of warning pamphlet with the board advising of that behavior.

I recall some discussion of this on the forum shortly after the board was released. I *think* (my memory isn't perfect) ASUS said it had something to do with overclocking (including "Asus Optimizations" which default to Enabled in bios), where they had to power-reset the processor during boot to enable certain changes they did not want enabled at initial power-on. The search function isn't great here but you may be able to find that old discussion, in which an ASUS rep did respond it was "normal" and a vague reason why they did it.

Hello and thank you for replying. Yeah I was like what the hell?! Believe it or not I had that in the back of my mind, about the A.I. overclock training thing, which BTW I disabled. I think their A.I. needs some refinement. It was pushing some crazy overclocks and voltage. I played around with it for a bit, but guess I was a bit disheartened that my 420mm AIO wasn't able to keep my 13700k from throttling, With the assigned overclock. I gave it a fair chance, but ended up disabling it. So as of right now, I have it set to AUTO in the Bios. I think I'm at 5.5Ghz on the P cores, and 4.4Ghz on the E cores. Which I'm fine with. So do we think even with the A.I. overclock disabled, it's still gonna do the shutdown thing? Either way, i thank you very much for your reply, as I was starting to fear a potential RMA. ASUS doesn't do well with those. 🙂

RogScott
Level 12
Same here -- I tried the AI overclock stuff, and decided it was more trouble than it was worth. I concluded my 12900k was fast enough for me at stock.

I don't recall all the details (I built my system Mar-2022), but I *think* the discussion said that if all the "auto" features (memory, "asus multicore enhancements", etc.) are all disabled, that eliminates the initial power-off that happens in a "cold" post. It was something about memory detection or switching some feature of the processor that required a power reset to enable. I just decided to live with it, since I rarely power off the system anyway.

I searched a bit but can't find the old threads. I will look a bit more, and post again if I can find it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

RogScott wrote:
Same here -- I tried the AI overclock stuff, and decided it was more trouble than it was worth. I concluded my 12900k was fast enough for me at stock.

I don't recall all the details (I built my system Mar-2022), but I *think* the discussion said that if all the "auto" features (memory, "asus multicore enhancements", etc.) are all disabled, that eliminates the initial power-off that happens in a "cold" post. It was something about memory detection or switching some feature of the processor that required a power reset to enable. I just decided to live with it, since I rarely power off the system anyway.

I searched a bit but can't find the old threads. I will look a bit more, and post again if I can find it.

Yeah I try not to restart anymore than I have to, as it really pisses me off, how long it takes. With the hardware I have, it should damn near be instant. I kid you not, my home theater pc with a ivory bridge 3770K in it, restarts in half them time. No idea why. I have Windows locked down pretty good. I've gone through and checked what if any programs might have an impact on startup performance. Probably the worst offender would be Corsair's IQUE software, but I need that for my fan controller and AIO. Still , last I timed it, it took about 115 seconds to reboot back to desktop. Probably boils down to Windows 11 being a big steamy pile of donkey ****.

trihy
Level 9
Did you tried disabling xmp? That fixed the restart behavior on other board.

This boards has some weird bugs.