cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Chipset on the z690 Extreme causing USB drop

sephanubisiii
Level 7
I apologize for the very lengthy post, but this has been going on for so long that I've been keeping records. I also have no idea how to update my profile here so I couldn't edit my specs to show what I am using.

This all originally started around April 10, 2022, when ASUS had me update my BIOS due to having some weird issues between Corsair's RAM and Armoury Crate. After updating it; USB ports would randomly go in and out, but nothing terrible. Until after each BIOS update, at the request of Asus; it then just got worse.

For months now, five to be specific, I have been struggling with strange USB dropouts; ranging from my keyboard no longer functioning to sometimes every USB port dropping out including the USB headers. I am not using any hubs either. This problem originally happened at a roll of a die, but usually would be at startup, if there is no activity to the impacted device (this tends to be my keyboard most times; so, if I don't touch my keyboard then this issue happens), or more recently during large file transfers over USB. The total USB disconnect has happened more times than it should to say the least. When it happens; it's as if both power and data have been disconnected and reconnected. However, nothing happens on screen and the computer seems to work as intended; not even Event Viewer, Task Manager, or Reliability Monitor will register the event. When it's only the keyboard or mouse; the power is still going to them (they are RGB devices so they still light up), but the animation to the RGB freezes until I disconnect the device and plug it back in.

Now more recently, as this part is an update of sorts to the previous paragraph, the main ignition of the problem tends to be heavy USB traffic; which will cause a complete mass disconnect with all USB drives AND the onboard Bluetooth module gets disconnected. I have had the ethernet port drop out twice as well. Now that being said, after reinstalling Windows, it seems to not give a complete dropout. Everything points to the motherboard, but it was doing this with the previous board as well (as I have RMAed this board before with them sending me a new one in exchange). Some forums suggest it's the z690 chipset as it is happening on Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte as well. Others suggest it could be a PSU or RAM issue, but after testing RAM it then doesn't seem to be the case. I have gone as far as contacting Corsair in regards to iCUE, Lian-Li for the L-connect 3 software, and EVGA in regards to the PSU; all point their finger at ASUS.

Forums discussing similar issues; some having issues with other board manufacturers:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?128826-Z690-and-USB-issues
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/usb-issues-on-z690.371264/
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?127672-Z690-F-USB-Power-Delivery-Issue
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/usb-issues-with-z690-and-rtx3080.1021812/
https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/174385-need-help-finding-a-fix-for-a-problem-on-the-new-z690-...

I have done the following:

*Disabled USB power management/letting system turn it off

*RMAed Motherboard with a totally different motherboard coming back (as they mysteriously found bent pins and replaced the board)

*Updated BIOS

*Updated Windows

*Upgraded Windows from 10 to 11

*Reinstalled Windows 11 both by a refresh and complete "remove all files reset"

*Tried different USB ports

*Tried the mouse, keyboard, and other USB devices on another device; they seem to work just fine/as intended

*Disabled C-States

*Tried Powered USB Hub

*Updated PD

*Disabled Fast Boot

*Disabled PCIE Native Power Management

*Changed M.2 and PCIE to Gen 3

*Tested RAM with MemTest: Pass

*Used Task Manager, Event Viewer, Reliability Monitor, and Resource Monitor to track. Errors are not shown except in Reliability Monitor: LKD_0x144_CONTEXT_ERROR_AFTER_STALL_RESET_EP_USBXHCI!TelemetryData_CreateReport_VEN_8086_DEV_7ae0_REV_0011. This error only comes up when the PC has lost all USB connectivity; during that time Windows also shows the sound icon disconnect as if I've muted it and then it returns to normal

*Uninstalled and reinstalled the USB3.2 eXtensible Host Controller 1.20 (Microsoft)

*Disabled XHCI in Bios

**The error message mentioned in Reliability Monitor has not happened since a fresh install of Windows 11**

As of writing this; I have been in contact with ASUS again for nearly a week trying to narrow things down. When this first escalated in April it went all the way to the office of the CEO. After RMAing the motherboard the first time; we stopped contact. Now since this had gotten worse, I contacted ASUS again and it was forwarded back to them so I am working with that team again to solve this, but so far nothing has come of it. Another culprit seems to be RGB software. If I have iCUE only installed; I do not have an issue immediately, but after installing one of the following: Armoury Crate, L-Connect 3, EVGA Precision X1, or Asus Aura; it then recreates the issue of drop out with either my mouse or keyboard during large file transfers. This is true if I have one primarily installed piece of software and try installing one of those as well alongside it. I have tried to use SignalRGB in case maybe that could alleviate any issue, but it seems to not want to run on my PC for some odd reason. The downside is that I need those pieces of software in order to control the hardware to some extent as well. So, there is a working theory that something is trying to draw more power or conflict with power draw so they are now asking me to try the following steps as it could be a voltage issue? The values in "()" are to be changed if the first set seems unstable or does not work.

*System Agent: 1.25v (1.26V)

*Memory controller voltage (external): 1.25v

*CPU Input Voltage: 1.8V

*CPU Standby Voltage: 1.05V, (1.06V)

Update:
This voltage change has solved nothing. I also have found that if I lower my mic boom on my headset down and back up during file transfer, AND if any RGB controlling software is running, it will make my keyboard and mouse stop functioning outside of lights being on. A quick unplug and replug while also stopping any of those programs seems to alleviate any issues. File transfer does not suffer either oddly. So if I want to do any large file transfers, as this issue doesn't happen with anything under a gigabyte, then I need to do it at the end of the day when I am getting ready for bed. Having all unnecessary software off.

My specs are:

Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Asus z690 Extreme (BIOS version 1601; though this issue has been going on since 3 prior revisions)

Intel i7 12700k (no overclock currently)

2 kits of Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-5600 PC5-44800 CL36 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit CMT32GX5M2X5600 - Total of 64GB RAM (not overclocked currently) (Also I know mixing kits are bad, but currently 4 stick kits aren't offered)

EVGA 3080Ti (no overclock currently)

Samsung 980 Pro SSD 1TB M.2 NVMe Boot Drive

2 2TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G6

USB items:

Logitech Proteus Spectrum

Logitech G910 keyboard

Lian-Li fan hub with 6 UNIFans (3 controlled directly; other 3 are controlled only for RGB and attached to AiO) - USB Header 1

MSI MEG Core Liquid S360 AIO (Controlling the 3 other UNIFans) - USB Header 2

Small 4TB USB External

Large 4TB USB External with its own power

Small USB C 1TB External

Corsair USB cable for headset charging

Corsair USB dongle for headset

Logitech c920 Webcam (newest edition to the list)

RGB Software "in use":

Corsair iCUE

Asus Armoury Crate

Asus Aura (this was installed in place of Armoury Crate to try and replicate the issue; they are not used at the same time. Currently uninstalled as well; only Armoury Crate is running)

L-Connect 3

EVGA Precision X1
14 REPLIES 14

aGovs
Level 7
Certainly sounds frustrating,

Firstly in ROG forum, under the settings and functions drop down, select edit profile.

Forgive me if I missed it, but in the device manager, under universal serial bus controller/device uninstall/reinstall the adapter. Then checking all other drivers - Intel chipset ect. From there should be able to isolate the issue to either the case or the I/O on the board.

I know the motherboard was replaced, if it is still occurring try isolate the issue to either the case, the USB 3.0 cable or the peripheral devices you have connected.

I for one have had issues using a KVM switch with the USB serial controller consistently malfunctions.

Hope it helps

aGovs wrote:
Certainly sounds frustrating,

Firstly in ROG forum, under the settings and functions drop down, select edit profile.

Forgive me if I missed it, but in the device manager, under universal serial bus controller/device uninstall/reinstall the adapter. Then checking all other drivers - Intel chipset ect. From there should be able to isolate the issue to either the case or the I/O on the board.

I know the motherboard was replaced, if it is still occurring try isolate the issue to either the case, the USB 3.0 cable or the peripheral devices you have connected.

I for one have had issues using a KVM switch with the USB serial controller consistently malfunctions.

Hope it helps

That has been done sadly; that is what I meant by "Uninstalled and reinstalled the USB3.2 eXtensible Host Controller 1.20 (Microsoft)". Also, a complete format and reinstallation of Windows would have yielded the same results; something I did as well and nothing was fixed sadly.

As for isolating, that's the tricky part. As I've stated; it happens to anything connected via USB. This includes the case, the 3.0 cable, peripherals, back I/O, and even the USB headers on the motherboard. I have narrowed it down to none of those after extensive testing.

What has changed and what I have explained to ASUS directly was that the issues are directly related to software. If I have more than one program running out of the following list; it will cause the USB drop out when under large transfers:
Armoury Crate
L-Connect 3
iCUE
NVIDIA Precision X1
Logitech G-HUB

If one is running; then that's fine. If, for instance, I have Armoury Crate and iCUE up, then no (or any other combination). The real strange part has been something I just recently figured out as well. During my testing, if I have my wireless headset on, I can not have any software running then mute & unmute the mic. Doing so will cause my mouse and keyboard to completely drop. So the temporary fix is currently to not have any of those pieces of software running. That causes a problem when I need to control something in regards to my headset or RAM (Corsair product), my keyboard and mouse (Logitech product), and/or my PC fans (Lian-Li product).

The response I received after explaining this to ASUS was "That is good that you found a solution for now" and "Our software might not work well with other 3rd party software especially the software will query the same RGB controller at the same time causing issues. We do have integration with iCUE but others software, we do not.". Now while I do understand conflict in software is a problem that can easily happen; this isn't really an acceptable answer given the fact that something like this going on could damage the peripherals or worse the $1000 motherboard.

Hi,

I also have the same issue from time to time as yourself - sometimes I'm watching videos on youtube so can tell that it's not a freeze, just USB issues. Sometimes, the USB will reboot, sometimes they won't.
I have pretty much tried the same things as yourself - my issues are happening on Z690 Maximus Hero though.

From the looks of it, I have slightly different equipment to you (GPU, CPU, Keyboard) , however the one thing that is similar is the Corsair wireless dongle (Virtuoso XT)- I always use my headset on wireless, rarely wired. I have ICUE but don't run it. I did have a old wireless Corsair headset with a dongle I replaced as I thought that was causing the issue but it still happens - could be connected?

The other thing I have noticed is that if I have 2 or more HDD's plugged in, this will cause more dropouts - even though I have 1000W power supply, and they have their own power supply. Have you tried to not have them connected and see if the problem still occurs?

Same thing happens to me, but i have a z690 Gigabyte motherboard, with a i5 12600k and 3080. I also use icue for my rgb fans, but the problem is gone after a reboot, but on a cold boot is when the usb dropouts happen. Could iCue be causing issues with z690 motherboards?

dismaldarko wrote:
Same thing happens to me, but i have a z690 Gigabyte motherboard, with a i5 12600k and 3080. I also use icue for my rgb fans, but the problem is gone after a reboot, but on a cold boot is when the usb dropouts happen. Could iCue be causing issues with z690 motherboards?

I at first thought it was iCUE as well, but even with iCUE uninstalled and using another software such as Logitech G-HUB or L-Connect 3, it still will cause some problems unless that piece of software is the only one running. It leads me to believe it's more like a Z690 Chipset issue and how it handles power

sephanubisiii wrote:
I at first thought it was iCUE as well, but even with iCUE uninstalled and using another software such as Logitech G-HUB or L-Connect 3, it still will cause some problems unless that piece of software is the only one running. It leads me to believe it's more like a Z690 Chipset issue and how it handles power

Guess the only thing we can do is wait for an update...

Been struggling again for the past few days with USB dropping out, freezing and lots of other various issues.

Downloaded USBDeview, selected all devices and disconnected them. Hard restarted and havent had any issues so far - may be worth to give it a go? I use a lot of usb devices for flight sim (Throttle, Yoke, rudder pedals) so thought that I was overloading the hubs but so far, no issues.

Jonald wrote:
Been struggling again for the past few days with USB dropping out, freezing and lots of other various issues.

Downloaded USBDeview, selected all devices and disconnected them. Hard restarted and havent had any issues so far - may be worth to give it a go? I use a lot of usb devices for flight sim (Throttle, Yoke, rudder pedals) so thought that I was overloading the hubs but so far, no issues.

What syster you have? i was experiencing USB problems ONLY under WIn11

wonejo
Level 7
i have some problem!!! pls!! help !