cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z690 Apex with Samsung DDR5 Memory Issues?

Murlo26
Level 10
Hi,

I have a new build put together and the memory is giving me all sorts of issues. I have seen a few people saying that the Apex board might have some dim slot issues but not sure if that is actually an issue. I snagged up a 6000mhz CL36 G Skill kit and tried pairing with my apex board and 12900k. Everything is on a custom water loop with fairly solid temps. I am on the latest bios. I recognize the Samsung flavor of sticks are not officially supported by the Apex board yet, but am curious as to why (per the QVL). The hero board has mine listed already but the apex list seems light. I tried the XMP profile and have had very little luck. I have been able to get it to boot into windows but typically crashes on any heavy workload and sometimes even just being in windows things lock up.

I am just curious if this is something I need a bios update for and just have to wait or I should look at going after different memory. Part of why I got the apex was to finally play around with memory overclocking but not even being able to run xmp kind of sucks. Just surprised that the apex board has so little support for memory so far.

Any thoughts?

I appreciate any help and sorry if this is covered elsewhere.

PC Components:

12900k (stock for now until I get memory sorted)
z690 Apex
G Skill F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5K (32gb)
EVGA 3090 Kingpin Hydrocopper
EVGA 1300W G2 PSU
Corsair 5000d
2x360mm radiators
Windows 11

Edit: I have also tried the built in profiles on the apex, like all of them and none of those seem to work even speeds down to like 5200mhz, wouldn't boot into windows on those. I also tried the XMP and bumped voltage up...no luck really.
139 REPLIES 139

Murlo26
Level 10
The EVGA kingpin board, which was what I originally wanted, came into stock finally. I bought it and it's on the way. I am going to redo my hardline kit and whatever else is needed but I am done messing with this RMA process. I have never seen an RMA process like this where I get different people all the time and seemingly tons of people that don't talk to each other. I requested a refund so hopefully I can just get that and be done with this.

I am having the quite simmilar issue.

I have

Asus Apex z690
Intel 12900k
Gskill F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5RS
Asus Rog Strix 3090 White

The strange thing is I can run this rams at 5800 without a single issue. I can even go down with the voltage no issue at all. When I try to run them @6000mhz boom no luck. I was also thinking like maybe my IMC is not good enough until I bump into this topic.

Recently I got 1 a pair of Corsair CMK32GX5M2B5600C36 which also has Samsung die. I can run them at XMP even this rams runs at 5800 no issue at 1.3V even if i go high as 1.5 no luck at 6000mhz.

This is a bumer. I was not expecting this bad service+quality from Asus.

I have created a ticket. Nobody would send me a refurbished card out of this bloody issue. I won't accept it.

They would even go like sorry this happend to you, we have upgraded your card to xxx or we gave you a year free of charge warranty.

I had a lot of troubles trying to make 4 sticks of memory running and I spent a lot of money buying kits to find some good ones.
I need 64GB and there was no 2x32GB kit at that time...

I know how frustrating is spending money and not being able to make it work but I can't understand why people consider XMP "the minimum" frequency to achieve.

XMP = eXtreme Memory Profile

XMP = OC

6GHz XMP = eXtreme OC since the base frequency is at least 1.2GHz lower...

so what's the point in asking for an RMA because you can't do 6GHz and complain with Asus because you can't achieve what you consider "the minimum"?

sblantipodi wrote:
I had a lot of troubles trying to make 4 sticks of memory running and I spent a lot of money buying kits to find some good ones.

I know how frustrating is spending money and not being able to make it work but I can't understand why people consider XMP "the minimum" frequency to achieve.

XMP = OC

so what's the point in asking for an RMA because you can't do 6GHz and complain with Asus because you can't achieve what you consider "the minimum"?

I understand people's opinion on this line of thinking, I do. But the reality is previous generations, XMP "just worked". In addition, they advertise a QVL (qualified vendor list) stating that certain memory types and speeds work with their motherboard. In many cases this is well above 6000 MT/s.

So I agree, it is for sure overclocking and I would even be OK with some tweaking being necessary if one's IMC isn't up to snuff. However, given previous generations and how they advertise it I don't see why it's a problem for people to expect it to work.

Now, I have already determined through extensive testing that my APEX board was in fact defective, I do understand the point that people shouldn't RMA so quickly sometimes. In my case, that was not at all how it went. And now, 2+ months later I am still without my computer because of this ASUS problem.

I guess I just think some people need to relax a little and maybe have some empathy for people when stuff doesn't work. No need to talk down to people who have grown accustomed to things working as advertised.

sblantipodi wrote:

XMP = OC

Because of this !?

I bought another Apex board (which i will return). And I can clearly confirm that some of the devices are defective.

I am still waiting for RMA answer for my first board .

And the good thing is raid is still healty efen if board is replaced.

Murlo26 wrote:
The EVGA kingpin board, which was what I originally wanted, came into stock finally. I bought it and it's on the way. I am going to redo my hardline kit and whatever else is needed but I am done messing with this RMA process. I have never seen an RMA process like this where I get different people all the time and seemingly tons of people that don't talk to each other. I requested a refund so hopefully I can just get that and be done with this.

How it went for you mate? I just read through this whole topic. I'm facing the same issue as it seems. Was trying to set my gskill 2x16 6000 with no luck. Going as low as 1.25 to as high as 1.4 on sticks and then throwing Mem controller and system agent up from 1.1 to 1.4. Went through the whole spectrum and always was getting errors in prime. Some after 4-5 hours were stable just to keep crashing and throw errors again on the next day, giving me false hope. I've got z690 formula.

Today I went back to 5800 and threw all settings on auto and it has been stable for whole day of prime, over 9 hours...add 200mhz more and no setting in bios will get it stable. I'm going to RMA it and purchase a new mobo in its place. I've been going with asus mobo and gpu for a long time, have two PCs currently at home constantly being upgraded with their products, until today. It's time to give other brand a chance after asus has failed me.

Murlo26
Level 10
I currently am still working on redoing my water loop. The kingpin board being E-ATX does "fit" in the corsair 5000d but it just wasn't working well. I ended up buying a Lian Li o11 dynamic XL and it fits the board and loop much better. I also grabbed the o11 distribution plate too to make life easier. Still waiting to find time in life to install hardline tubes.

I also finally got a new in box replacement board. They ended up sending me a maximus extreme board. It's nice they did that but now I am having a hard time selling this board. Seems no one wants an 1100 board...trying to sell for $900 but no bites locally yet. No idea what I am going to do there 😞

I am not sure but it seems people have lost faith in ASUS mobo's on the high end this generation. I am confident my kingpin board will work well once I have time to finish the setup, it looks great so far 🙂

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Daily work horse still powering along since last year no problem after stability was dialled in at the time. Not even really felt the need to try Hynix, yet.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Squall_Leonhart
Level 8
To those encountering stability issues with 1505, its because the Memory controller VDD doesn't like to be too far below stick vdds.