cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z690 Apex with Samsung DDR5 Memory Issues?

Murlo26
Level 10
Hi,

I have a new build put together and the memory is giving me all sorts of issues. I have seen a few people saying that the Apex board might have some dim slot issues but not sure if that is actually an issue. I snagged up a 6000mhz CL36 G Skill kit and tried pairing with my apex board and 12900k. Everything is on a custom water loop with fairly solid temps. I am on the latest bios. I recognize the Samsung flavor of sticks are not officially supported by the Apex board yet, but am curious as to why (per the QVL). The hero board has mine listed already but the apex list seems light. I tried the XMP profile and have had very little luck. I have been able to get it to boot into windows but typically crashes on any heavy workload and sometimes even just being in windows things lock up.

I am just curious if this is something I need a bios update for and just have to wait or I should look at going after different memory. Part of why I got the apex was to finally play around with memory overclocking but not even being able to run xmp kind of sucks. Just surprised that the apex board has so little support for memory so far.

Any thoughts?

I appreciate any help and sorry if this is covered elsewhere.

PC Components:

12900k (stock for now until I get memory sorted)
z690 Apex
G Skill F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5K (32gb)
EVGA 3090 Kingpin Hydrocopper
EVGA 1300W G2 PSU
Corsair 5000d
2x360mm radiators
Windows 11

Edit: I have also tried the built in profiles on the apex, like all of them and none of those seem to work even speeds down to like 5200mhz, wouldn't boot into windows on those. I also tried the XMP and bumped voltage up...no luck really.
139 REPLIES 139

Murlo26 wrote:
Yea, I was confused why a supposedly new board is warped. I am guessing from them testing before they sent it. If it works then I guess I don't care but it was supposed to be new.

I will for sure report back. If it runs fine with XMP at the QVL that is all I want to start. If I can indeed OC the memory beyond even better, but I just expect at a minimum the XMP works.

I've received my tracking number finally. I don't know if they did the same thing for me as they did you though in regards to it being new or not though. How did you find that part out ahead of time?

I'm supposed to be getting it Tuesday via fedex.

thewebsiteisdown wrote:
I've received my tracking number finally. I don't know if they did the same thing for me as they did you though in regards to it being new or not though. How did you find that part out ahead of time?

I'm supposed to be getting it Tuesday via fedex.

I asked them while waiting for the board if it was going to be new. Then they told me no it would be refurbished. I then proceeded to complain and try to escalate it and told them that was unacceptable for this situation. Obviously there was a lot more nonsense and emails in between all this but that was the main points. Eventually they agreed as a "one time courtesy" to give me a new one. Which again, I am not convinced is even new. I am going to test my board finally today though so more to come.

Murlo26 wrote:
I asked them while waiting for the board if it was going to be new. Then they told me no it would be refurbished. I then proceeded to complain and try to escalate it and told them that was unacceptable for this situation. Obviously there was a lot more nonsense and emails in between all this but that was the main points. Eventually they agreed as a "one time courtesy" to give me a new one. Which again, I am not convinced is even new. I am going to test my board finally today though so more to come.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. I talked to them today and mine is indeed a refurb and after looking up the serial number through them it's a 2021 board that they sent me. I will be getting it Tuesday. I'm just ready to be disappointed again needless to say but, we'll see. Hopefully yours works this time.

thewebsiteisdown wrote:
Yeah, it's ridiculous. I talked to them today and mine is indeed a refurb and after looking up the serial number through them it's a 2021 board that they sent me. I will be getting it Tuesday. I'm just ready to be disappointed again needless to say but, we'll see. Hopefully yours works this time.

Well they called me again today, literally as I was about to setup my test bench to try the board. The one they sent me was in fact a used/refurb old board. They said they are now going to try to ship me a new board but can't guarantee anything. I will just see what happens.

Good luck to you though, hopefully your replacement goes smoother .

Murlo26 wrote:
Well they called me again today, literally as I was about to setup my test bench to try the board. The one they sent me was in fact a used/refurb old board. They said they are now going to try to ship me a new board but can't guarantee anything. I will just see what happens.

Good luck to you though, hopefully your replacement goes smoother .

Got my replacement apex tonight from Asus. Few scratches here and there but all and all great condition. I noticed when I first booted up that it was last ran at 5600mhz memory speed? The bios version is 1403 I noticed as well. I did a clear CMOS and set it to xmp I 6400 and proceeded into windows and watched better call Saul with the wife. I'll be testing it more and reporting back but, so far so good. I never crashed and was able to boot right into windows after loading xmp I which didn't work before. I'll be gaming etc. as well but getting all the water cooling tore down and hooked back up took about two hours and I worked all day today and have work tomorrow as well so, the big part is done now I'll start testing more.

thewebsiteisdown wrote:
Got my replacement apex tonight from Asus. Few scratches here and there but all and all great condition. I noticed when I first booted up that it was last ran at 5600mhz memory speed? The bios version is 1403 I noticed as well. I did a clear CMOS and set it to xmp I 6400 and proceeded into windows and watched better call Saul with the wife. I'll be testing it more and reporting back but, so far so good. I never crashed and was able to boot right into windows after loading xmp I which didn't work before. I'll be gaming etc. as well but getting all the water cooling tore down and hooked back up took about two hours and I worked all day today and have work tomorrow as well so, the big part is done now I'll start testing more.

They were supposed to call me today and give me info on my new replacement. At this point I am almost ready to try out the one I already got back that is bent. If it works I am not sure I care anymore. I am just over not having my good PC setup. This 6700k/GTX980 ain't cutting it.

What you have seen already seems better than what I ever saw. Let me know how it goes, hopefully it works out! Good Luck!

Murlo26 wrote:
They were supposed to call me today and give me info on my new replacement. At this point I am almost ready to try out the one I already got back that is bent. If it works I am not sure I care anymore. I am just over not having my good PC setup. This 6700k/GTX980 ain't cutting it.

What you have seen already seems better than what I ever saw. Let me know how it goes, hopefully it works out! Good Luck!

Thank you I appreciate it. Update for you.

I talked to them today. They didn't put a reason for the issue on my paper work that they sent with the new motherboard. When I talked to them today they stated that it was a hardware issue on the motherboard when overclocking per their notes, that they can not fix on the motherboard. I noticed with the old board that when using memory timing configurator that the memory voltages never did get read correctly while others didn't seem to have that issue.

This new mother board, it's reads them correctly. Whatever it is that might also be an indicator that you have the issue is my educated guess.

Also I played bf2042, GTA v and Red Dead without a single issue. Ran tm5 memory test, passed. Seems solid as a rock so far.

Update:

Passed Anata extreme last night overnight without a hitch stock nothing touched voltages nothing xmp I.

I'm starting to go through my over clock again now too.

Galeots84
Level 7
Hi
I have g.skill F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK memories but at random I have reboots and system blocks, my settings are these
Thx

thewebsiteisdow
Level 9
Just a little update on my new apex from asus. I have a profile saved now for 6200 ct1 that's stable. I'm currently pushing it as fast as I can and tightening up the timings as I go and testing stability and moving forward.

I'm currently running at 6933MHz tighter timings and tightening them as I go. Also, notice my voltages in timing configurator are perfect.

Murlo26
Level 10
Sounds like your RMA one works solidly. I am tempted to try my RMA one, despite not being new and also having a good bend to it. I am sure it works but frankly I am just turned off by the whole thing. They offered me a formula replacement new and I said I didn't think that was an apt comparison. I asked for the extreme but haven't heard back. I am kind of thinking I would really just prefer a refund and go buy the MSI Unify X honestly. This whole situation has been a huge letdown. I know ASUS bios the best and I have always used them but I am over trying to get things working.