cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z690 Apex with Samsung DDR5 Memory Issues?

Murlo26
Level 10
Hi,

I have a new build put together and the memory is giving me all sorts of issues. I have seen a few people saying that the Apex board might have some dim slot issues but not sure if that is actually an issue. I snagged up a 6000mhz CL36 G Skill kit and tried pairing with my apex board and 12900k. Everything is on a custom water loop with fairly solid temps. I am on the latest bios. I recognize the Samsung flavor of sticks are not officially supported by the Apex board yet, but am curious as to why (per the QVL). The hero board has mine listed already but the apex list seems light. I tried the XMP profile and have had very little luck. I have been able to get it to boot into windows but typically crashes on any heavy workload and sometimes even just being in windows things lock up.

I am just curious if this is something I need a bios update for and just have to wait or I should look at going after different memory. Part of why I got the apex was to finally play around with memory overclocking but not even being able to run xmp kind of sucks. Just surprised that the apex board has so little support for memory so far.

Any thoughts?

I appreciate any help and sorry if this is covered elsewhere.

PC Components:

12900k (stock for now until I get memory sorted)
z690 Apex
G Skill F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5K (32gb)
EVGA 3090 Kingpin Hydrocopper
EVGA 1300W G2 PSU
Corsair 5000d
2x360mm radiators
Windows 11

Edit: I have also tried the built in profiles on the apex, like all of them and none of those seem to work even speeds down to like 5200mhz, wouldn't boot into windows on those. I also tried the XMP and bumped voltage up...no luck really.
291 Views
139 REPLIES 139

Murlo26
Level 10
I have already spent a month, actually just over a month now without my pc. They have moved back expected RMA replacement twice and now it appears I am only offered a refurbished board which on a $700+ brand new board I find appalling. I have never regretted a motherboard more. I have bought probably close to 10 ASUS motherboards but now I might have to look elsewhere moving forward. If I can get an EVGA kingpin board I might just do that.

Superino091
Level 8
And shameful, I'm talking via email with a fake Asus technician who doesn't know that Apex dual slot, I asked for ADVANCED RMA, they want me to ship the card to their lab, but from what I've read all over, it's best to leave it alone.
even if I don't understand why a market leader like asus can play with us like this, they believe that we are stupid fish

Thankfully the problem is now solved for me, I ordered a unify X 😛

I don't care about RMA or whatever, I threw 700 down the toilet for the apex, i'll keep it, just as a lesson, not to buy from that company again. AMEN.

*Funny thing is, I tried my ram and cpu on a cheapo MSI (z690 pro A). Ram isn't even on the QVL, still works way better than the Apex! (granted, doesn't boot on 1T, but neither does the apex so...) Trains way faster, no problem with restarts, stability seems to be there (haven't done intensive testing, but all games are stable). So the cheapest MSI > Apex when it comes to memory support....yay?

Herald wrote:
Thankfully the problem is now solved for me, I ordered a unify X 😛

I don't care about RMA or whatever, I threw 700 down the toilet for the apex, i'll keep it, just as a lesson, not to buy from that company again. AMEN.

*Funny thing is, I tried my ram and cpu on a cheapo MSI (z690 pro A). Ram isn't even on the QVL, still works way better than the Apex! (granted, doesn't boot on 1T, but neither does the apex so...) Trains way faster, no problem with restarts, stability seems to be there (haven't done intensive testing, but all games are stable). So the cheapest MSI > Apex when it comes to memory support....yay?


I am half tempted to buy another motherboard at this point. I have been avoiding it because I don't want to redo my waterloop but maybe it will still work on another board, I have not bothered to check. I was looking at the Unify X as well, a lot of people seem to be having good luck with those.

Supposedly my refurbished board will be ready 4/16 now? I am assuming that is at ASUS and then I will have to wait probably 2 weeks for the slowest possible shipping is my guess.

Murlo26 wrote:
I am half tempted to buy another motherboard at this point. I have been avoiding it because I don't want to redo my waterloop but maybe it will still work on another board, I have not bothered to check. I was looking at the Unify X as well, a lot of people seem to be having good luck with those.

Supposedly my refurbished board will be ready 4/16 now? I am assuming that is at ASUS and then I will have to wait probably 2 weeks for the slowest possible shipping is my guess.


Oh, so it is a refursbished? Yikes....

Herald wrote:
Oh, so it is a refursbished? Yikes....


Here is the latest response:

"Unit will be replaced with refurbished replacement. This unit is not eligible for NIB Replacement since it has never been serviced by ASUS before and was not purchased within 1-2 months. The replacement is expected to arrive at our facility on 2022/04/16. "

Murlo26 wrote:
Here is the latest response:

"Unit will be replaced with refurbished replacement. This unit is not eligible for NIB Replacement since it has never been serviced by ASUS before and was not purchased within 1-2 months. The replacement is expected to arrive at our facility on 2022/04/16. "



Mine was purchased within 1-2 months though and they still say refurbished for me too so..

thewebsiteisdown wrote:
Mine was purchased within 1-2 months though and they still say refurbished for me too so..


I started my troubleshooting within that time frame, it just took weeks to troubleshoot. I didn't want to send them a board back if I didn't know it was a board problem. They didn't do a good job at all of acknowledging this issue either so to me that is a BS excuse...sounds like it doesn't matter either as you had the same issue.

They replied to me today as well, basically that they can't see the future, so they don't know if they will replace it with new / refurbished or give me my money back. Which absolutely sucks, basically you have to buy a new motherboard to have a PC in the meanwhile, and then if they sent you a refurbished you are ***cked, can't even sell that. Yay, you got to love asus 😉

rolloff
Level 7
Still no official statement from ASUS on this. That's so poor.