cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z690 Apex with Samsung DDR5 Memory Issues?

Murlo26
Level 10
Hi,

I have a new build put together and the memory is giving me all sorts of issues. I have seen a few people saying that the Apex board might have some dim slot issues but not sure if that is actually an issue. I snagged up a 6000mhz CL36 G Skill kit and tried pairing with my apex board and 12900k. Everything is on a custom water loop with fairly solid temps. I am on the latest bios. I recognize the Samsung flavor of sticks are not officially supported by the Apex board yet, but am curious as to why (per the QVL). The hero board has mine listed already but the apex list seems light. I tried the XMP profile and have had very little luck. I have been able to get it to boot into windows but typically crashes on any heavy workload and sometimes even just being in windows things lock up.

I am just curious if this is something I need a bios update for and just have to wait or I should look at going after different memory. Part of why I got the apex was to finally play around with memory overclocking but not even being able to run xmp kind of sucks. Just surprised that the apex board has so little support for memory so far.

Any thoughts?

I appreciate any help and sorry if this is covered elsewhere.

PC Components:

12900k (stock for now until I get memory sorted)
z690 Apex
G Skill F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5K (32gb)
EVGA 3090 Kingpin Hydrocopper
EVGA 1300W G2 PSU
Corsair 5000d
2x360mm radiators
Windows 11

Edit: I have also tried the built in profiles on the apex, like all of them and none of those seem to work even speeds down to like 5200mhz, wouldn't boot into windows on those. I also tried the XMP and bumped voltage up...no luck really.
139 REPLIES 139

Murlo26 wrote:
Not sure why they would delete that post...why is this such a "problem"...seriously. Every manufacturer has problems. It's how they react to the problems that matters. I am hoping they get their act together here soon I guess. Looks like posts are being edited. I don't remember what was there, hopefully nothing important.

I agree. The problem isn't even universal so lets say 50% of the boards made around 11/21 have this issue. Now this problem typically happens around 6000MHz and it's (usually) with Samsung IC based kits. Think about how many people just buy the APEX because they want the best and are not RAM OC lunatics like myself. All the boards used for daily as opposed to tinkering / pushing daily mem OC/ HWBot and almost all the people running Micron, Hynix or Samsung 5600 ish kits will not be RMA'd. The people here that want an RMA such as myself (since I'm stuck on code 28 anytime I try to run my 6200 OlOy Hynix kit and my 6000c40 Adata Samsung kit. and only way to recover is bios flashback) are the heart of what ROG, Maximus, Rampage, Extreme, APEX is all about. The reason APEX is perceived as the best is because many of the greatest overclockers use / have used them for competitive benching. I have APEX IX, X, XI, XII, XIII and Z690 as well as Z690-A Strix Gaming Wifi D4 and collector boards such as a New in Box Rampage Extreme plus several benching boards from that era (S775)

I also think that if ASUS can identify what the problem is, such as a faulty component or assembly/soldering work then they are entitled to reimbursment from the company who supplied the product etc. That's what insurance is for, and the reason why as a "Sole Proprietor - Self Employed" worker I was required to carry insurance before I was allowed to step foot in a building like the old Milwaukee Bucks arena to do tile repair work.

Pic of the REX NiB !

Superino091
Level 8
asus was a failure with the z690 generation
i had an extreme there was no way to make the ram go in any way, changing the ram and cpu, same problem always errors to premise that the rams were in their QVL list.
I decide to make the extreme for apex, let's say that now the rams seem stable but after a few days they become unstable.
calling the Italian technical support of asus, to be premetered that the technician did not know that Apex has only two ram slots .. they say after several tests that it is the motherboard is to contact my dealer, the dealer surely takes several months to solve the problem.
asus has to make a recall, but I don't think own company without seriousness.
I'm thinking of changing brands as so many people have already done
It should be noted that they are motherboards that cost much more than competitors but at least give direct assistance but above all seriousness

rolloff
Level 7
It's so sad what happened here on the part of Asus. it has been proven several times that there are problems with the first z690 apex boards etc. at high ram frequencies.
even the mods here in the forum try to cover up something by simply blocking threads and diligently denying it, see: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?128341-I-take-back-what-I-said-about-1304-bios#post860085

rolloff wrote:
It's so sad what happened here on the part of Asus. it has been proven several times that there are problems with the first z690 apex boards etc. at high ram frequencies.
even the mods here in the forum try to cover up something by simply blocking threads and diligently denying it, see: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?128341-I-take-back-what-I-said-about-1304-bios#post860085

worse for them we spend our money on other brands ...
if you lose credibility it's over
even if I don't understand the reason for their poor behavior with their customers who pay their salaries
and the fifth post they delete me, but fortunately the truth is found in the various forums, now they start shooting several videos

rolloff
Level 7

rolloff wrote:

I think he's dead now lmbo. I heard a gun shot then boom, deleted lol.

Braegnok
Level 14
One Motherboard Two Faces: https://www.igorslab.de/en/1-motherboard-2-faces-asus-rog-maximus-z690-apex-review-with-teardown-ram...

Seems I got lucky my Z690 APEX Part No.: 90MB1810-MOAAYO is First Batch,.. and I haven't had any memory OC issues.

I feel bad for all the members that received out of spec boards, and went through all the trouble shooting, testing trying to run memory listed in QVL, and failing.

However it is nice to see Asus agree to RMA the out of spec boards, and solve the issue. :cool:

Braegnok wrote:
One Motherboard Two Faces: https://www.igorslab.de/en/1-motherboard-2-faces-asus-rog-maximus-z690-apex-review-with-teardown-ram...

Seems I got lucky my Z690 APEX Part No.: 90MB1810-MOAAYO is First Batch,.. and I haven't had any memory OC issues.

I feel bad for all the members that received out of spec boards, and went through all the trouble shooting, testing trying to run memory listed in QVL, and failing.

However it is nice to see Asus agree to RMA the out of spec boards, and solve the issue. :cool:

It is nice however like other members have said it's sad to see them say that they will be sending us refurbished parts. I bought a brand-new motherboard that never worked and will receive a used one. I have little faith at this point in Asus sadly. The fact that they are hiding information from the community actively is disheartening.

My account of 17 years that paid users were trolling me on stating that I was the problem not the motherboard that made me aggravated for obvious reasons, still goes silenced over at overclock.net. Despite silent scone telling me he has no affiliation with overclock.net he's obviously actively silencing people on here so why would I believe he has no part in that being done on the overclock.net side when he obviously knows people on that site and has for awhile considering his status at Asus and in this forum considering, he's a part of the Asus team.

2+2=4

I still don't have a replacement board or a guestimate as to when I'll be receiving one for that matter. I purchased this motherboard February 10th and have yet to get to play with it.

Seeing as this has been my first purchase of the Apex, despite always wanting one it has been the biggest let down I've experienced through Asus. Also, I'll be getting a refurb yay!! /s

Mine has the same issues, also November batch. First slot is disgustingly bad, 1T doesn't even boot at 5200mhz :O. Second slot is fine, tried up to 6600 with no issues. Asus asked me to sent it to them to check, but since they didn't answer me on what the replacement might be (new / refurbished / maybe even an also problematic mobo) im just stuck here. Don't want to spend a month without a PC only to found out my replacement has the same issues...

Braegnok wrote:

Are you not Skullbringer who wrote the article or you just use the same skull pic for your avatar

" For example, my 2021 board does not manage to stably run a Teamgroup DDR5-6400 kit listed on the motherboard’s QVL:
After describing my problems, the colleagues from the Asus R&D department sent us another board. This time a M0UAY1, whereby this was also preselected for the best possible RAM clock. And although it is also the same revision of the motherboard (R1.02) according to the PCB label, with the same RAM kit, the modules in the same slot order and the same CPU, then XMP is no longer a problem at all. "