cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z690 Apex with Samsung DDR5 Memory Issues?

Murlo26
Level 10
Hi,

I have a new build put together and the memory is giving me all sorts of issues. I have seen a few people saying that the Apex board might have some dim slot issues but not sure if that is actually an issue. I snagged up a 6000mhz CL36 G Skill kit and tried pairing with my apex board and 12900k. Everything is on a custom water loop with fairly solid temps. I am on the latest bios. I recognize the Samsung flavor of sticks are not officially supported by the Apex board yet, but am curious as to why (per the QVL). The hero board has mine listed already but the apex list seems light. I tried the XMP profile and have had very little luck. I have been able to get it to boot into windows but typically crashes on any heavy workload and sometimes even just being in windows things lock up.

I am just curious if this is something I need a bios update for and just have to wait or I should look at going after different memory. Part of why I got the apex was to finally play around with memory overclocking but not even being able to run xmp kind of sucks. Just surprised that the apex board has so little support for memory so far.

Any thoughts?

I appreciate any help and sorry if this is covered elsewhere.

PC Components:

12900k (stock for now until I get memory sorted)
z690 Apex
G Skill F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5K (32gb)
EVGA 3090 Kingpin Hydrocopper
EVGA 1300W G2 PSU
Corsair 5000d
2x360mm radiators
Windows 11

Edit: I have also tried the built in profiles on the apex, like all of them and none of those seem to work even speeds down to like 5200mhz, wouldn't boot into windows on those. I also tried the XMP and bumped voltage up...no luck really.
2,455 Views
139 REPLIES 139

Tactical_Donut
Level 8
Murlo26 wrote:
Hi,

I have a new build put together and the memory is giving me all sorts of issues. I have seen a few people saying that the Apex board might have some dim slot issues but not sure if that is actually an issue. I snagged up a 6000mhz CL36 G Skill kit and tried pairing with my apex board and 12900k. Everything is on a custom water loop with fairly solid temps. I am on the latest bios. I recognize the Samsung flavor of sticks are not officially supported by the Apex board yet, but am curious as to why (per the QVL). The hero board has mine listed already but the apex list seems light. I tried the XMP profile and have had very little luck. I have been able to get it to boot into windows but typically crashes on any heavy workload and sometimes even just being in windows things lock up.

I am just curious if this is something I need a bios update for and just have to wait or I should look at going after different memory. Part of why I got the apex was to finally play around with memory overclocking but not even being able to run xmp kind of sucks. Just surprised that the apex board has so little support for memory so far.

Any thoughts?

I appreciate any help and sorry if this is covered elsewhere.

PC Components:

12900k (stock for now until I get memory sorted)
z690 Apex
G Skill F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5K (32gb)
EVGA 3090 Kingpin Hydrocopper
EVGA 1300W G2 PSU
Corsair 5000d
2x360mm radiators
Windows 11

Edit: I have also tried the built in profiles on the apex, like all of them and none of those seem to work even speeds down to like 5200mhz, wouldn't boot into windows on those. I also tried the XMP and bumped voltage up...no luck really.



I can't speak to the Gskill kit you have, however I have an Apex board and like you have had continual BSODS on both XMP 1 and XMP II profiles with a Corsair 5600mhz kit. Runs fine at JEDEC speeds. Latest BIOS 1101, and setting XMP1 with a slight bump of VDD up to 1.275v seems to have helped. Been stable for a week or so. My kit isn't on the QVL list either.

Tactical Donut wrote:
I can't speak to the Gskill kit you have, however I have an Apex board and like you have had continual BSODS on both XMP 1 and XMP II profiles with a Corsair 5600mhz kit. Runs fine at JEDEC speeds. Latest BIOS 1101, and setting XMP1 with a slight bump of VDD up to 1.275v seems to have helped. Been stable for a week or so. My kit isn't on the QVL list either.


Ok, well at least I am not alone. I am currently running at JEDEC speeds as well, I think just base 4800. Nothing else has been remotely stable.

wing_man
Level 7
If G Skill F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5K will work on a Hero it should work on an Apex. I have the same ram and Apex but haven't had a chance to build it yet.

wing_man wrote:
If G Skill F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5K will work on a Hero it should work on an Apex. I have the same ram and Apex but haven't had a chance to build it yet.


Well I would think so but if you look at the QVL for the apex, there is very little, actually maybe no samsung die ddr5. Which is why I feel like this is a wait it out deal. But part of me going ddr5 was to have better than ddr4 performance and at JEDEC speeds I think most ddr4 that is CL16 3600 will probably be better. Not the end of the world but just bummed that the apex QVL is smaller. I would imagine though that anything the hero can do the apex should be able to do eventually.

All the other ROG motherboards have the F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5K on their QVL except the Apex. The Apex should be the one motherboard that should be able to run any ram. If it can't, I want my money back!!!!!

wing_man wrote:
All the other ROG motherboards have the F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5K on their QVL except the Apex. The Apex should be the one motherboard that should be able to run any ram. If it can't, I want my money back!!!!!


Well this was my thinking I guess...was pretty surprised.

wing_man wrote:
All the other ROG motherboards have the F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5K on their QVL except the Apex. The Apex should be the one motherboard that should be able to run any ram. If it can't, I want my money back!!!!!


Anything above 4800MHz is OC,.. you need to understand DDR5 is new, does not OC like DDR4.

With DDR5 If you don't know fundamentals of overclocking memory and want plug & play your going to have a rough go running the high frequency memory kits.

I have the Asus Z690 Apex, I didn't buy the Apex to run XMP or pre-loaded memory profiles.

I can run any DDR5 memory kit. Does not matter Micron, Samsung, or SK Hynix ICs.

Braegnok wrote:
I haven't had any XMP 1 profiles that were plug & play, fully stable. You need to make adjustments for stability.

6400MHz kit:
Image

2000% Karu stable:
Image

Manually adjusting frequency to 6600MHz CL32 also no issues.
Image

I see a lot of folks on this site and other forums talking trash about Apex Z690 DDR5 memory combability, you all need to do research, testing and learn how to use all the settings in your BIOS if your going to OC your memory.

Open your mind, and learn how to adjust BIOS memory settings, or run your DDR5 memory @ default 4800MHz.

Anything above 4800MHz is OC,.. your knowledge of BIOS settings, CPU IMC will determine your ability to run above 4800MHz stable.


I have never had to make any adjustment with my Hero X. I just enabled xmp and it worked. I even added two more G.Skill ram modules of a different batch but same speed and it worked. 3200 cl 14 ddr4.

wing_man wrote:
I have never had to make any adjustment with my Hero X. I just enabled xmp and it worked. I even added two more G.Skill ram modules of a different batch but same speed and it worked. 3200 cl 14 ddr4.


Yea same, always had ASUS hero boards before this, last one was ASUS Z390/9900k and never had to mess around besides just enabling XMP. Just built a friend a PC, 12700k but with ddr4 and just had to enable xmp, zero issues.

I understand what everyone is saying and I am ok to mess around and adjust timings if that is what is needed. I am just simply saying that in the past I have never had that be an issue or my experience.

I guess time to start learning more about memory timings 🙂