cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Apex issues - d6 qcode

pavel_florea
Level 8

Hi,

I bought a used z690 apex, it was working fine, however it is having some issues now:

1) d6 q code. It pops up almost every time I try to boot the system. According to Asus manuals D6 error means No Console Output Devices are found. The GPU is plugged into the motherboard and psu. The PSU connection is very good, motherboard seems to be good too (although I did have some difficulties installing the card in the case. Sometimes the system boots, and if I restart, first I get q code A0, but nothing is happening on the screen. Force restart -> d6 -> force restart -> d6 and after I restart like 20 times it will eventually boot, without me changing anything with the configuration. Attitude problems is all I can think of, but it was working fine when I got it. Could it be the mobo bios chip dying? 

Update: it now doesn't get past this d6 qcode even after restarting multiple times 😞 

2) Bios 1 doesn't appear functional. Mobo was on bios2 when I got it. When d6 started popping up I thought of using the other bios, pressed the switch bios button, the led changes, however nothing happens when I press the power button. Switching back to 2 works fine. Is it again the bios chip?

3) Speaker sound popping and buzzing. When the system finally decides to boot, I get weird sound issues. When changing volume, the speakers emit a loud "pop". Any windows notification is welcomed by weird buzzing which changes frequency depending on the volume. Popping and buzzing goes away when music is played OR I use voicemeeter instead. The speakers are fine, no issues on old system.

Any ideas are very welcomed.

System:

13700k, z690 apex, 4070ti, Asus thor 850p. Both monitors are connected via dp if it matters. GPU works fine on the old system.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pavel_florea
Level 8

Whoever has similar issues where everything is OK but displaying d6 - for me it was the bios version. I went to a shop which rewrites biases, they made some semicustom version of an older, 2004 version (current is 2305), flashed it with some tool (not via USB flashback), and it is now working. It would be great if asus didn't make it impossible for regular users to downgrade the bios, some regulation in Japan should not prevent me from doing so.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pavel_florea
Level 8

Bump, all issues remain 😞 any idea can help

JohnAb
Level 17

I'm only guessing here, but have you tried re-flashing BIOS 1 and also tried resetting the BIOS to defaults for starters? (on BIOS2)

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Thanks for your reply! 🙂

Yes, I tried reflashing bios1, but that doesn't even bother me that much anymore, the system won't get past d6, I am pretty sure I have tried everything, different GPU, different monitors, different cables, just 1 stick of ram in different slots, nothing besides the CPU and ram connected, always d6, even without the gpu in, gpu in without pcie cables connected (red lights turn on on gpu), mobo out pcie cables in (gpu lights don't lights don't light up). 

I would send it to service, but there is no service in Romania and since I got it used, not much I can do. Seems like it's over, I will likely be cutting my losses and buying a NEW mobo.

pavel_florea
Level 8

Whoever has similar issues where everything is OK but displaying d6 - for me it was the bios version. I went to a shop which rewrites biases, they made some semicustom version of an older, 2004 version (current is 2305), flashed it with some tool (not via USB flashback), and it is now working. It would be great if asus didn't make it impossible for regular users to downgrade the bios, some regulation in Japan should not prevent me from doing so.