cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Apex/12900k/ 32g 4800 ram voltage suggestions

JBBlack
Level 8
hello all, I got my new PC up and running and so far everything seems perfect, I have XMP1 enabled and have been running the rig for a week now to get everything burned in and happy.

So far I am impressed with windows 11 and this new hardware and how it works together, the system is super efficient and easily runs everything I throw at it.

But, it does get hot when running a bench app, and I KNOW it's because I'm running it on air (Noctua NH-U12A) and also have everything at stock (auto) settings, I will be getting a ROG AIO cooler down the road and might try some overclocking, but for now, I just want to run the 12900k and stock settings as it is plenty fast enough.

I'm still getting to know this new gen of CPU and the new ASUS BIOS's, (24 cores? I know it's not actually 24..but still) and for now I would like to just get a good starting point for suggested basic voltage settings for everything at stock speeds. NOTE: I'm not going to hold anyone responsible for what I do to my PC!

What I am running and would like to keep for now:

DDR5 480 Ram at XMP1
12900k @ stock speeds running windows 11 High-Performance profile
Z690 Apex BIOS 2103 running pretty much at default settings for the CPU, turbo on yada yada.

While gaming on like MSFS 2020 my temps are like in the 30's-50's but can spike into the 70's at times, which is pretty much normal, BUT while benching on something rough like Lynx they can hit the mid-to-high 90's. And I KNOW I shouldn't be trying bench apps like that on air cooling, but I just wanted to see if the fans were working...

Should I adjust some voltages, or does everything look ok?

thanks

Now, if I run like CinebenchR23 the VCore voltage and temps look like this:
ASUS Maximus Z690 Apex ; intel 12900k ; ASUS Strix 4080 OC RTX ; 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz XMP1 ; Samsung 980 Pro Gen4/Windows 11 Pro ; Creative AE-7 ; 2-2TB Samsung 970- Evo in DIMM.2 ; Dual LG 4k Screens ; EVGA 1300P+
2 REPLIES 2

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Everything looks fine. There's no need to change any associated memory voltages if the system is working, auto rules are working as intended. Depending on cooling, temperatures of 90c are to be expected in high current workloads.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

JBBlack
Level 8
Awesome!! That goes in line with what I have been reading about the 12900k running on air, and wanting to run hot, I just wanted to make sure and ask the ASUS experts. I have been reading great things about this Noctua cooler though, and that eases my mind.

And the system is running perfectly, almost too perfect, I keep expecting to run into something buggy, but so far it just performs like nothing I have ever seen. I'm going to go through the BIOS and try to get used to it, there is so much in there.

Thanks for taking a look at the temps for me, with that I can just enjoy it for now.
ASUS Maximus Z690 Apex ; intel 12900k ; ASUS Strix 4080 OC RTX ; 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz XMP1 ; Samsung 980 Pro Gen4/Windows 11 Pro ; Creative AE-7 ; 2-2TB Samsung 970- Evo in DIMM.2 ; Dual LG 4k Screens ; EVGA 1300P+