cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 & Z790 SERIES SLOW BOOT

Zardoc
Level 10

Hi all,

I just want Asus to try to at least take into consideration complaints high and wide from users with systems that boot way slower than previous 200-500 series.

I really love the reliability of Asus boards but one of the things most users expect and look for is faster boot times with their systems.

Imagine, having to to remove realtek sound drivers just to get a faster boot. I have a Prime 200 and a 390 that boot faster than my Tuf 690 with only nvme m.2 drives. The others machines have 2.5 SSDs.

Then I get my friend that brags to me that his MSI boots in a whopping 7 seconds. Sure, it's a 12900k but that's not much more than my 12700k.

So Asus, can you please work on speeding up boot times on the boards ?

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

caqo1971
Level 10

Agree, Latest ASUS ROG boards boots so slow.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

You can override the dram training so that it only occurs once. To do so, enable the attempt fast boot settings in the dram timing section of UEFI. However, remember that there will be limited tolerance for temperature shifts if you do so. Might work okay on some rigs, but not on others. It depends on the configuration and how much signal margin the imc and memory has.

Regarding msi, on past platforms at least, engineers found two of the boards setting certain voltages high to get through the POST training process. Stuff like that isn't visible to most forum users or reviewers, so they assume things are better. Just something to bear in mind when making comparisons at face value. Especially when certain boards are hitting 8000MT/s+ and others are not. "Boot" times can hinge on what devices are connected to that particular systems I/O.

What you can't see is arguably far more important. I find it to be a very silly measure of performance, especially since AMD's AM5 platform POST times can be more than double what Intel varients are doing to complete POST stress tests. One can always utilise S3 resume if it's truly an issue having to wait a few extra seconds 😁

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Thanks for your input.

The second most requested demand from users is a fast booting machine (first being fast machine period). It may be seconds to some but to those of us that update machines on a regular basis, part of the hope when you upgrade is that overall, it's faster, which by all means is always the case except for faster booting times,

I can understand a slow progress on that front being that many factors come in line but not a regression in boot times. It doesn't make sense.

Btw, I uninstalled Realtek drivers a long time ago and was among the first to complain about how terrible their drivers are. I got rid of my ROG wifi 4 because of USB drivers and guess what, standard drivers have the same issue.

Imagine, you can't even have creature comforts like reasonable sound drivers without loosing speed.

Also, my dram timing setting is at fast boot and I can't find the setting that you mention in bios (dram training). It's a Tuf series so maybe that setting isn't in bios.

Thanks

I have upgraded gen on gen and boot times don’t really concern me.

DRAM training isn’t a setting, it’s a series of stress test routines the system conducts at POST to analyse memory stability. How long this takes can depend on the platform.  It’s these kind of misconceptions and lack of insight which make it difficult to rationalise with users who sit in the faster boot time camp.

Naturally, if you don’t know what the system is doing it’s hard to draw a logical conclusion on just how long something should take. This isn’t that surprising, given we’re not DRAM engineers.

I’m not sure I’d agree there’s a large group of users are looking for what you describe, perhaps some. Perhaps you’ve pulled that from a poll sample somewhere. Most metrics for high end performance can be found on HWbot. Hwboot domain has yet to be registered ;)!

I really respect your knowledge but not knowing exactly on how the engine works doesn't mean you can't make the difference between a slow machine and a fast one. Dram ram test on boot has always been there, but the type of tests is past my pay grade. However, all the moving parts are built a lot faster, processor, ram, drive, video card etc. If all these parts can go faster why can't a boot time go faster?

Does it mean we can get virtually any part of a computer to work faster but we can't boot the machine faster ? Really ? Why does my Z390 prime boot faster than my Rog Z590 A wifi ? I put the same components as the Z390. same ram, video card oh, I upgraded CPU and drive to M.2. Still, boot is slower, Saved about 10 seconds removing USB Realtec drivers but still slower boot than my Z390.

I can't imagine that we can make progress in all material components and yet not boot faster but slower.

If we’re using car analogies; I don’t think people judge performance cars on how long it takes for oil to reach operating temperature lol. As I say, it’s very hard to argue with this kind of logic. Somethings are simply more important behind the scenes. Regardless, hope you find some resolve on the Windows hand-off side of things.

Hi I have a z790a gaming wifi that uses Realtek and SS3. What will happen if I uninstall them? Will my sound work and will I be able to control equilizer settings etc somehow?

Hi, you seem to be quiet knowledgeable on this topic, I have a question if you don't mind.

I noticed my post time on my new strix z790A gaming wifi was slower than my old 4th gen build. I checked the Q-LEDs during boot to see if there was any issues. The red cpu and orange ram lights flash twice during the sequence. I'm curious if you know if this is normal or not. 

Sequence: red, orange, red, orange, white, green. POST takes around 14 seconds, then windows another 10s or so to boot. 

This is by no means too slow for me, I just want to check if it is normal behaviour or not. 

Asus support have been useless and don't seem to know what's normal and what isn't.

JohnAb
Level 17

I'd love faster POST times on my 690 Hero. Might give that a try, thanks. 

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.