cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690-A Wi-Fi D4 - keyboard not detected on boot

imacken
Level 8
On boot (and Windows restart), I get a ‘keyboard not detected’ error on BIOS screen. Boot continues to Windows and everything OK. But, I couldn’t access BIOS settings.*
After a lot of messing around, I discovered that if I disconnect my powered USB hub, then the message goes away and I can access BIOS.
Anyone got an idea on how to resolve this?
(Latest BIOS from ASUS site)*
18 REPLIES 18

Overmann wrote:
I am using this same motherboard and have the same issue with my USB keyboard not getting detected at boot. I have to unplug and replug the keyboard. Warm reboots work fine but shutting down and cold booting results in a keyboard not detected error again.
I am plugging the keyboard into the back USB ports. I've tried all of them at this point and the problem is the same. No hub or other fancyness here.
The keyboard is a Das Keyboard 4 pro.

I have an MSI PRO Z690-A (DDR4) with 2 different Cooler Master Quickfire XT keyboards (SGK-4030-GKCM1-IT and SGK-4030-GKCG1-IT) and I experience the same problem!!! I have to unplug/replug after a shutdown, no problems with reset and/or stand-by.

I tried EVERYTHING, disabling fast boot, XHCI, usb legacy; in any combination of these, but nothing 😞

Did you find a solution?

iperione.xix wrote:
I have an MSI PRO Z690-A (DDR4) with 2 different Cooler Master Quickfire XT keyboards (SGK-4030-GKCM1-IT and SGK-4030-GKCG1-IT) and I experience the same problem!!! I have to unplug/replug after a shutdown, no problems with reset and/or stand-by.

I tried EVERYTHING, disabling fast boot, XHCI, usb legacy; in any combination of these, but nothing 😞

Did you find a solution?

OK, problem fixed with latest BETA BIOS (sorry, MSI boards only). Anyway ... it can be fixed with a "simple" BIOS update 🙂

guys i have the Z690-P Wi-Fi D4 and i have the same problem. My keyboard is not recognized and I cannot enter the pin.
and I have to remove and reinsert the USB cable from the keyboard.
-I also tried with another keyboard but nothing
-I installed the 1013 beta bios (latest on the asus site) but it doesn't work the same.
the only solution I have found for now is to activate erp (s2 + s5) on the bios, the pc now recognizes the keyboard but starts with 1 second of delay (I hate this).
has anyone found a solution? do you think it is the bios? someone who knows how to report it?

iperione.xix wrote:
OK, problem fixed with latest BETA BIOS (sorry, MSI boards only). Anyway ... it can be fixed with a "simple" BIOS update 🙂

hi can you pls esplanish we better ? what bios version have you installed? what motherboard ?

up ,pls any help?

imacken
Level 8
Did you try my setup in post above yours, i.e. mouse and keyboard in the red ports?

imacken wrote:
Did you try my setup in post above yours, i.e. mouse and keyboard in the red ports?

Yes, I've tried them all. All the USB ports. None of them detect the keyboard during cold boot.

Kikoarl
Level 7
I have read this post a few days ago and, thankfully, hasn't happened me. However, yesterday happened for the first time. I got into BIOS and couldn't use my keyboard. Sometimes I can't use my keyboard to enter my password and have to wait a few seconds. Let see if with an upcoming BIOS this could get fixed. Z690-P D4 (non Wifi, using latest bios from november)

Poldo
Level 7

Sorry for reviving an old thread.. I have the Strix Z690-A DDR5 and I have the same problem with my Steelseries 6Gv2 keyboard. Have tried all USB ports, USB legacy support, XHCI handoff (enable/disable) to no avail. ASUS has released a new BIOS firmware (2305) for this board a few days ago and I was hoping it would fix it, but sadly, it didn't. Been looking for an EHCI hand-off but that setting is not available in the BIOS probably because most of the USB ports are now USB 3.x so it is handled by XHCI.Somehow I think EHCI would have address this.

Strangely, I tested a Dell keyboard and it works just fine so I guess there's some sort of a compatibility issue with this chipset?

EDIT: This has been resolved. 

After updating the BIOS to 2305, I decided to disconnect all USB devices and test which ports work with the SS 6Gv2 keyboard. Much to my surprise, the four USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports (blue) now detect the keyboard from cold boot. I first noticed this when all the keyboard lights turn on as soon as the PSU is turned on.

I left USB legacy support and XHCI handoff enabled in the BIOS; didn't bother to test if it still works with these 2 disabled.