cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690-A Prime resume from sleep delay

funkyd
Level 7
Hi all,

Running an Asus Z690-A Prime, i9-12900k, 32GB Micron DDR5, and RTX3090 FE on Win11. I have two NVMe drives, a Samsung 980 Pro in slot M.2_1 and a 960 Pro in slot M.2_3. I also have the ThunderboltEX4 add-on card, but haven't had any Thunderbolt devices plugged in for troubleshooting. All has been stable, but the system takes ~30 seconds to resume from sleep (confirmed that hibernation/hybrid sleep is disabled).

I'm fairly certain it's a hardware-related issue, it takes about 25 seconds after waking from sleep for the HDD LED to start blinking. I've also confirmed via the Windows Performance Recorder that windows is coming out of sleep in those last 5 seconds and there is no logging during the 25 seconds that the HDD light is inactive. Before that, the system just seems to be in limbo. Powering on from a full off-state doesn't have this lag.

Running at stock speeds, XMP1, most BIOS settings at auto. I've also disabled everything not in use (SATA ports, serial port, etc). Tried different XMP settings, messing with SVID profiles, messing with C-States and other power settings, messing with FastBoot, forcing PCIe settings for RTX/NVMe drives, but nothing has made a difference.

Any thoughts on what could cause this issue? The only thing I can think of is I left the 2nd 8pin CPU power connector disconnected, but my thought was it shouldn't be required if I'm not overclocking (I'm also limiting PL1 to 200W to keep the system cool since I'm on air).

Thanks for looking!
1 REPLY 1

funkyd
Level 7
Quick update on this issue, I've narrowed it down to thunderbolt. With thunderbolt disabled, the system resumes from sleep in about 11 seconds. With one thunderbolt port enabled, resume takes about 17 seconds. With both ports enabled, resume takes about 32 seconds. Difference between these settings is how much of the bus is reserved and how much memory is reserved for the thunderbolt interfaces. Not sure if this is expected, but never had this on my old system with the ThunderboltEX3 card. Hopefully a future BIOS update or firmware update for the EX4 makes it better.