cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 a-Gaming D4 strange cold boot behaviour

Azzazzell0
Level 7
Hello. Here is my problem - when i switch my pc on after it was completly turned off it double boots, i mean it starts for a sec then shuts down, then starts again and then works fine. When i reboot, it reboots normally. Here is what i found, whats causing it - first i thought its smth with memory oc, but no its not - setting all settings to auto (I mean loading with jedec Profile) still double boot. Then i set SA voltage to auto still double boot. So only Dram voltage left - i changed it to auto - and pc boots normally. I found out that if i put dram voltage higher then 1.35 (all other settings set on auto, and memory loads with jedec Profile) double boot happens on fresh start, only fresh start not restart. So the question is what can lead to such strange behaviour or maybe is it normal?

Small remark - if my memory is overclocked double boot doesnt reset it to default values it boots and works and passes all tests at oced settings. Also i should mention that the same behaviour stayed after i updated from 0807 bios to 0901.

P. S. Sorry for my english.
P. P. S. Have a great holidays!
3 REPLIES 3

bass_junkie_xl
Level 11
same for new bios 901 for D4 . if i type in my trained rtl/iol mem settings the board trained to lock them in a i get a dubble boot and windows event viewer records it as a power lose
Rig # 1 - 14900K SP-115 | 87 MC @ 6.0 GHZ | 5.1 R | 4.5 E | DDR5 48GB @ 8,400 c36 | Strix RTX 4090 | XG27AQN 1440P 27" 360 Hz G-Sync ULMB 2

Rig # 2 - 13900KS-SP-120 | 80 MC @ 5.8 GHZ | 5.0 R | 4.5 E | DDR4 32GB @ 4,300 c15 | Strix RTX 3080 | Aoc 1080P 25" 240 Hz G-Sync

Adrian1983
Level 10

I've got the same issue on My Strix Z690 Gaming A D4.

Started ram overclocking and when you increase ram voltage over 1.35 or so It double boots when the PSU has been off.

I am amazed Asus offers no solution to this and it still hasn't been fixed 2 years later.

CaveWaverider
Level 7

And here I was thinking I was the only one with this problem. I have the same problem on my Asus ROG Strix Z690-A WiFi D4. It boots up with the red CPU light for a second, shuts itself off again, then starts up again and goes through the normal boot process.

It only seems to happen with Corsair memory on my board (no matter if it's on the QLC or not, I tried four different Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro and Vengeance RGB Pro SL kits, some Hynix, some Micron, 32GB, two 64GB and a 128GB Micron Kit which is my main one, all with the same problem) and 1.35V or more. When I use old Crucial Ballistix Memory (that even has tighter timings), it never double boots like that, it just boots at 1.35V. The memory runs stable otherwise, it's just this weird boot issue with this board.
My PSU is an ASUS ROG THOR 1600W Titanium, in case that matters. ERP is enabled to save power when the system is off. I do not use Hybernation/Windows Fast Boot, I always shut the computer down fully.

PS.: All the memory kits work fine in our other PCs with a ASUS ROG STRIX B760-G Gaming WiFi D4 and Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master.

Update: With the newest BIOS 3101, it seems that it sometimes boots normally on cold boot (but only if the system was off overnight, and not always) and sometimes doesn't (usually when I shut the system down and turn it back on again within the next minutes or hours), whereas with BIOS 2802 and earlier it always double booted on cold boot, no matter how long the system was powered off. So there seems to be a slight improvement n BIOS 3101, but it's still far from good.

System Specs:
Case: Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL Case (White) with EK-Quantum Reflection2 PC-O11D EVO XL Distro plate, 3x EKWB Quantum Surface P420 Radiators, 9x Lian-Li Uni-Fan SL-INF 140mm, 1x Lian-Li Uni-Fan SL-INF 120mm
Power Supply: ASUS ROG THOR 1600W Titanium
Mainboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4
CPU: Intel Core i9 14900K with EK Velocity² Waterblock 1700 White Edition
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DIMM Kit 128GB, DDR4-3600, CL18-22-22-42 (CMW128GX4M4D3600C18)
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX™ 4090 24GB GDDR6X
Monitor: LG OLED48CX9LB (3840x2160 at 120Hz , G-Sync compatible)
VR Headset: HP Reverb G2
SSDs: 1x Samsung 990 PRO NVMe M.2 4 TB (CPU M.2 Slot), 3x Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 NVMe, 1x Samsung SSD 870 Evo  SATA3, 1x 2TB SanDisk Ultra3D SATA3
Keyboard: Logitech G715 Lightspeed Wireless Keyboard
Mouse: Roccat Kone XP Air (White) Wireless Mouse
HOTAS: VKB Gladiator NXT Evo Kosmosima Flight Stick + STECS Mini Plus Throttle
Wheel: Logitech MOMO Force Feedback Racing Wheel
Gamepads: 2x Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2 Controller (White)
OS: Windows 11 Pro 64 bit (latest release version with all the latest updates)