XMP causes BSOD with DDR5 , ASUS Certified RAM

ron533
Level 9

Hi,
I have an ASUS Prime A with 12900K and
KINGSTON 2X16 DDR5 RAM  KF552C40BBK2-32  Timings 

40-40-40-80 

as certified by asus QVL.

Enabling XMP causes BSOD after a random time of working, usually 1-4 hours. 
RAM was fully tested for no errors on another mobo with and without XMP enabled in the bios.
I suspect one of the earlier BIOS updates has caused  it (can't remember which one) 
and it was not fixed since. I try it when ever a new bios updates is out.

Is there anything I can do or change in the setting to make XMP work as designed? 
Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Crosscode
Level 9

Hello,

Watch the temperatures in gaming with HWMonitor if you have not optimal airflow in your case.

It should not go over 50-60 °C it will causes stability issues on high frequenzy. But i don't think that it will ever get that hot on that voltage.

If there is another XMP profile like XMP II or XMP Tweaked try those out, they have other subtimings. 

Your ram probably runs at 1.25v with XMP, try 1.3v or 1.35v on VDD and VDDQ and also VDDQTX (IVR Transmitter VDDQ Voltage) in advanced memory voltages if your ram stays under ~40°C. This is still a very safe 24/7 voltage and may increase the stability.

Also try to switch the ram sticks on board.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Crosscode
Level 9

Hello,

Watch the temperatures in gaming with HWMonitor if you have not optimal airflow in your case.

It should not go over 50-60 °C it will causes stability issues on high frequenzy. But i don't think that it will ever get that hot on that voltage.

If there is another XMP profile like XMP II or XMP Tweaked try those out, they have other subtimings. 

Your ram probably runs at 1.25v with XMP, try 1.3v or 1.35v on VDD and VDDQ and also VDDQTX (IVR Transmitter VDDQ Voltage) in advanced memory voltages if your ram stays under ~40°C. This is still a very safe 24/7 voltage and may increase the stability.

Also try to switch the ram sticks on board.

Good luck!

Edit: *Use the same amount of voltage on all three voltage settings.

Thank you so much for replying!!
My idle RAM temps are 38 degrees... I believe I have enough cooling yet it looks to high and its not even summer here...
I've changed the VDD and VDDQ to 1.3 and I'm testing. they are now at 40.3 degrees idle.
I could not find the VDDQTX / IVR Transmitter value you mentioned. 
There's a value called VDDQ Switching frequency yet it jumps to 1.5 if I dial in 1.3, or it gives 1.25 and I'm not sure this is the correct one also, so I've left it on Auto for now. Maybe the naming was changed in the latest bios updates?...

Hi,

Thank you for your info, I have the same issue. Besides the occasion Blue screen of death I have 1 game that crashes frequently (world of warships).

I went back to 'auto' setting for the memory and now it is gone. I was explained that XMP I settings were ASUS settings for ASUS certified memory. XMP II by the vendor.  Pity it is unstable with XMP I.

I will take your suggestion and try XMP II

Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1300W ATX
Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme
Intel Core i9-12.900k
ROG Ryujin 360
Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum RGB 2x32GB 5600Mhz
Samsung 980 PRO 2TB M.2 SSD (2x)
Seagate Firecuda 1TB
ROG RTX3080-O10G-Gaming
Monitor 1: ROG STRIX XG349C
Monitor 2: Samsung HDTV T27D590
ROG Claymore
ROG Spatha X
ROG Balteus Qi
Windows 11
😉

Hello,

XMP 1 is validated by ASUS, yes. However, the timings can be tighter than the default DIMM profile (XMP II) You may find more success with these sub timings.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

There is a new BIOS version for z690 boards out this month.

I would recommend updating it if you haven't. Many people complaining that they run into issues with 48Gb or 64Gb Kits.

Release notes:

"1. Improve system performance.
2. Improve memory compatibility.
“Before BIOS update, please download Intel ME update tool from ASUS support site, and update ME firmware to Version 16.1.25.2020 to ensure optimized system settings.”
Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (MZ690E.CAP) using BIOSRenamer."

I updated, thanks.

Will try XMP 1 again after I confirm all is stable 😀

Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1300W ATX
Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme
Intel Core i9-12.900k
ROG Ryujin 360
Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum RGB 2x32GB 5600Mhz
Samsung 980 PRO 2TB M.2 SSD (2x)
Seagate Firecuda 1TB
ROG RTX3080-O10G-Gaming
Monitor 1: ROG STRIX XG349C
Monitor 2: Samsung HDTV T27D590
ROG Claymore
ROG Spatha X
ROG Balteus Qi
Windows 11
😉

ron533
Level 9

Update: I've found the IVR Transmitter VDDQ via the search function (was under my nose)...  
So it's all updated to 1.30V now. I'll test and update.
How far and safe can I go with the Voltages with this RAM?

For VDD and VDDQ voltage many say up to 1.5v ist still 24/7 usable but really depends on the temp and at that voltage aktive cooling is suggested like a little fan pointing to the ram sticks.

Personally from what i have reached out the ram should not go above 40°C for stability(depending on what ram is used) and not over 50°C for long term 24/7 use.

I am also at 1.5v but i overclocked it from 6000Mt's CL 40 to 6400 CL36 which is the maximum my motherboard supports and holds stable. 

Ram overclocking is a thing for itself and can cause headache getting everthing stable but in your case i think you just want to get it stable at the XMP that the brand promises to work.

5200Mt's CL40 should work thery fine on every ddr5 mainboard at that voltage which it comes with.

If just increasing the VDD, VDDQ and VDDQTX voltage alone doesn't help try also increasing the CPU input voltage from 1.8v to 1.9v. This sometimes help with stability and is also a 24/7 proof voltage.

Hope it helps out!