cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow Strix Gaming A 1304 bios overvolting my 12900K!

Adrian1983
Level 11
Thanks Asus,

If you are going to re write the adaptive voltage completely at least put it in your BIOS description on your website!

My saved bios profiles now no longer work since this bios and it completely removed my 0.5 negative offset I had set over volting my CPU to over 1.42v!

Guy's before you install this BIOS be aware of the new VRM and Global voltage settings completely replacing the old voltage setup, Now my 0.5v I had set is resulting in an instant lock up as soon as I try to boot Windows 11.

Anyone know how to flash back on the Gaming A?

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

bscool
Level 11
You are not suppose to use old CMO files on new bioses. This has been a best practice forever as far as I know. It usually works using old cmo files but it can cause issues and is nothing new.

bscool wrote:
You are not suppose to use old CMO files on new bioses. This has been a best practice forever as far as I know. It usually works using old cmo files but it can cause issues and is nothing new.

Yes I understand that it's not good practice but I also don't expect major CPU voltage changes in a bios without it even mentioning that in the description of the BIOS update on the web page, Honestly Asus and "Improve System Performance" in their descriptions has been like this for years and it's not good enough to be honest with a major update for their motherboards to be perfectly honest.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Tune the system accordingly. As already mentioned there aren't any guarantees that profiles built on older builds will be compatible. It wasn't until very recently this was even possible at all. 1.42v is nothing to be concerned about.

Select Global Core SVID and select Adaptive Mode.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Tune the system accordingly. As already mentioned there aren't any guarantees that profiles built on older builds will be compatible. It wasn't until very recently this was even possible at all. 1.42v is nothing to be concerned about.

Select Global Core SVID and select Adaptive Mode.

Thank you Sir! that did it! now adaptive is back and my set offset of negative 0.05 is now working and the voltage isn't going over 1.35 which is what it was previously.

Out of curiosity what is the setting above that in these new BIOS's the "Actual VRM voltage rail"? That is the one I set the negative offset to, I have now put that back to AUTO but not sure what that setting is or what I should be setting that to? Thanks in advance! much appreciated.

Adrian1983 wrote:
Thank you Sir! that did it! now adaptive is back and my set offset of negative 0.05 is now working and the voltage isn't going over 1.35 which is what it was previously.

Out of curiosity what is the setting above that in these new BIOS's the "Actual VRM voltage rail"? That is the one I set the negative offset to, I have now put that back to AUTO but not sure what that setting is or what I should be setting that to? Thanks in advance! much appreciated.

That's for fixed vcore. The old "override" mode if you don't want to use by core usage or similar. Sets cpu voltage directly to the VRM and ignores VID, AC Loadline, etc. So if you wanted something like 1.40v set + LLC4, you'd set it there (and LLC in digi+VRM like normal).

If there's an adaptive and offset mode for that though, then I don't know how that relates to the two new SVID settings.

Falkentyne wrote:
That's for fixed vcore. The old "override" mode if you don't want to use by core usage or similar. Sets cpu voltage directly to the VRM and ignores VID, AC Loadline, etc. So if you wanted something like 1.40v set + LLC4, you'd set it there (and LLC in digi+VRM like normal).

If there's an adaptive and offset mode for that though, then I don't know how that relates to the two new SVID settings.

Hi Falkentyne,

Yes it has the same Adapttive, Offset and manual in actual as global, I have no idea why it's just confusing matters to me, I think the top one "Actual" is something to do with SVID voltage I am not 100% sure.