cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 11 No Longer Booting Following Bios Update

Sierra_Oscar
Level 7
Hi all, I'm having an issue with my new build that someone may be able to assist me with. *

I recently put my new system together. I installed Windows 11, the installation went perfectly, Windows booted fine all day and I was able to install all of my driver updates and whatnot.

Finally I went to update my ASUS motherboard bios using the EZ Update option in the bios itself. The bios updated fine. The latest version is installed - 1003. However, when the computer restarted immediately after the bios update I received the "The system has POSTed in safe mode" error message.

Interestingly, when I went to the boot override option in the bios and selected my SSD windows booted fine. However, whenever I restarted the computer I would still get the safe mode greeting and had to use the boot override option to boot windows.

The bios update has to have changed the secure boot settings in some way, but I can't figure out how.

To make matters worse, windows will not boot whatsoever now.

I have tried a fresh install of Windows 11 (by formatting the SSD). The installation runs fine, but immediately following the first restart during the installation the same problem reoccurs.

I have Secure Boot set to Windows UEFI mode in the bios. CSM is disabled. I cannot figure out what is going on. I have tried clearing the CMOS and restoring default settings in the bios.*

Any suggestions?

Motherboard: Asus Maximus X Hero Z690
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Processor: Intel Core i9 12900K *

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

Sierra_Oscar
Level 7
The more trouble shooting I do, the more I believe this may not be a Secure Boot issue.

When I start the system I can see that the bios is working away doing it's normal checks by monitoring the internal LED. However it appears that it's doing these checks in a loop - I'm seeing a red and orange LED at times momentarily. Eventually, after around 4 minutes I get 00 and all LED's are unlit. It is at this moment that I get the 'POSTed in safe mode' error message which allows me to open the bios and boot up Windows 11 using boot override.

I'm thinking that if it was just a Secure Boot issue I would go straight to a boot error without a 4 minute delay.

Considering this began immediately after I updated the bios to the latest version (1003) I am assuming there may be a serious bug with it?Â*

Go into the BIOS and set all your RAM timings manually. Don't use XMP. Turn off AI-Optimiser, save your settings then reboot. If you're using 4 sticks of DDR5 RAM, you'll have to turn your RAM speed down to 4800mhz. If you're using 2 sticks of DDR5 RAM then you should be ok to set your RAM speed to its max specification. Populate RAM sockets A2 and B2 if you're only using 2 sticks.

RavenMaster wrote:
Go into the BIOS and set all your RAM timings manually. Don't use XMP. Turn off AI-Optimiser, save your settings then reboot. If you're using 4 sticks of DDR5 RAM, you'll have to turn your RAM speed down to 4800mhz. If you're using 2 sticks of DDR5 RAM then you should be ok to set your RAM speed to its max specification. Populate RAM sockets A2 and B2 if you're only using 2 sticks.

Thanks. I am using 2 sticks of DDR5 ram (2 x 16GB) and they are in the A2 & B2 slots as recommended in the manual.

The system is actually stable now when using XMP. If I disable it, I get the bios safe mode loop. XMP was disabled prior to updating the bios to 1003 - after doing so the safe mode loop occurs unless I have XMP enabled. *

I will try set the timings manually, but at the moment XMP is working fine.

I have done a full memtest on the ram and it has returned zero errors. It sounds like a bug with bios version 1003 to me. I've brought it to the attention of ASUS support and they've said an engineer is invesetigating the matter.*Looks to be a teething issue with DDR5. The ram is rated for 6200Mhz.

Sierra Oscar wrote:
Thanks. I am using 2 sticks of DDR5 ram (2 x 16GB) and they are in the A2 & B2 slots as recommended in the manual.

The system is actually stable now when using XMP. If I disable it, I get the bios safe mode loop. XMP was disabled prior to updating the bios to 1003 - after doing so the safe mode loop occurs unless I have XMP enabled. *

I will try set the timings manually, but at the moment XMP is working fine.

I have done a full memtest on the ram and it has returned zero errors. It sounds like a bug with bios version 1003 to me. I've brought it to the attention of ASUS support and they've said an engineer is invesetigating the matter.*Looks to be a teething issue with DDR5. The ram is rated for 6200Mhz.

Bios 1302 was released a few days ago. You can try that.
Remember--before running EZflash, ALWAYS go to the right most menu and choose "Load optimized defaults", save and exit. Then after you are back at defaults, then run Ezflash afterwards and you should have no problems.