cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which heat sink is the better choice?

ChopOMatic
Level 8

I'm installing an Inland TD510 2TB 3D TLC NAND PCIe Gen 5 x 4 NVMe M.2 SSD on the HyperCard in a Maximus Z790 Hero. This SSD comes with a heat sink and a fan mounted on it. With that heat sink on it, HyperCard's cover won't fit back on it. That cover, which is a really hefty chunk of metal, acts as a heat sink. (Both it and the card have thermal paste strips and the config sandwiches M.2 drives between them, turning the entire HyperCard into a giant heat sink.)

Now I'm deciding what would be best. Take the heat sink off the SSD and rely on the HyperCard as a (passive) heat sink? Or leave the active heat sink on the SSD and leave the cover off the HyperCard.

Anyone have any opinions and thoughts on this?

TIA.

Chop

2 REPLIES 2

JohnAb
Level 17

I'd suggest it would be better/safer to leave the supplied h/s and fan on the gen 5 SSD and then just add a passive heatsink to any additional SSD that you want to use on the Hyper card.  

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Thanks, John. I appreciate it.