cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When we we see a decent bios update so that ddr5 runs in XMP ?

Undertoker
Level 9
All I’ve experienced with a hero and an extreme z690 board thus far is annoyance and aggro
When will Asus release a bios that actually confirms to its advertised qvl listing ?*
You guys really need to get your act together frankly , it’s damaging your brand *
I9 14900K >ASUS ROG Strix RTX 4090 OC Edition
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME EATX Motherboard
ASUS ROG PG35VQ @ 200mhz in 3440x1440
Trident Z RGB 64GB DDR5 @ 6400mhz
Samsung 980 EVO Pro M.2 x 5 off
NZXT Z63 Kraken AIO CPU Cooler
NZXT H700i + Hue 2 (Pubg Edition) - Heavily modified
ASUS ROG THOR 1200w PSU
Corsair M65 RGB Mouse
Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard
45 REPLIES 45

BigJohnny
Level 13
ASUS has always been slow on the BIOS updates. If its on the OVL it should work so long as you aren't mixing kits. Even the exact same sku with multiple kits can mess things up as in if you run 4 sticks, buy a 4 stick kit, not two 2 stick kits of the same sku or worse a different sku. The faster memory gets the more picky it has become. Back in the day it really didnt matter. Now its pretty much imperative.

Through process of elimination I've managed to slowly change a number of things to get this particular set of DDR5 to run XMP on the 1304 BIOS on my STRIX Z690 E. It was freezing randomly. At first I thought it might be something in Win 10, but when I experienced a freeze in the BIOS screen, I knew it probably wasn't windows. Things attempted -

1) Swapping RAM from a kit with Samsung to a Hynix kit. (Sliiighhtt improvement. Still got random freezes.)
2) Lowering DRAM frequency. (No improvement at all.)
3) Turned of ASPM in BIOS (Not sure if this helped or not.)
4) Adjusting DIMM voltage (Slight improvement.)
5) Many changes to fix what seem like native Windows 10 problems in event viewer. (No improvement. Still freezing randomly.)
6) Changing BIOS from 1403 to 1304. (Large improvement. Freezes down to 1 a day if left idle for longer periods at this point.)
7) Turned off C-state in BIOS. (This pushed me past the 24 hour stable mark.)

The odd thing is that memtest wasn't giving me errors. Aida did for the first RAM kit, which I RMA-ed. The 2nd kit had no errors on Memtest, Aida or OCCT, but it STILL froze the machine up during idle, though... Less frequently. When I started messing with Win 10 and the event viewer and started making small changes there, I was also reading heavily on this forum and OC.net... Many were saying the 1304 BIOS was more stable so I flashed that. Luckily it didn't hang in BIOS during the flashing, that would have probably bricked the board.

Finally since I noticed it was only happening when left idle or on very low low intensity tasks, I tried turning off global c-states in the BIOS. That seems to have done it. I hope this helps if anyone is experiencing freezes, it could be particular to the RAM or this particular board, but I thought I'd share for posterity.

adrianpavee wrote:

7) Turned off C-state in BIOS. (This pushed me past the 24 hour stable mark.)

Finally since I noticed it was only happening when left idle or on very low low intensity tasks, I tried turning off global c-states in the BIOS. That seems to have done it. I hope this helps if anyone is experiencing freezes, it could be particular to the RAM or this particular board, but I thought I'd share for posterity.

I'm actually experiencing something similar, but it tends to take about 3 days between freezes for me, and it's almost always happening in the wee hours of the morning. But the truly bizarre thing is that this only started happening about 3 weeks ago; prior to that, my system had stayed up and stable for about 2 months. I've ruled out just about everything else on the system, and now it's running with only a mouse & keyboard plugged in, with bare minimum drivers, which meant uninstalling ESET, Acronis, and Dropbox.

Like you, I suspected everything software first, and I've even gone as far as doing an "in-place upgrade" / reinstall of Windows 11... if this machine still freezes after stripping everything down, I'll give disabling c-states a try. Thanks for the tip!

spatula75 wrote:
Like you, I suspected everything software first, and I've even gone as far as doing an "in-place upgrade" / reinstall of Windows 11... if this machine still freezes after stripping everything down, I'll give disabling c-states a try. Thanks for the tip!

You're welcome, I'm hope that my amateur attempt proves to be the solution for you as well. So far, past the 36 hour mark, heading to 48 hours soon. I'll probably run some stress tests to make sure after, but it's looking promising. Please share if you're successful... Or unsuccessful.

AwenMilano
Level 10
Undertoker wrote:
All I’ve experienced with a hero and an extreme z690 board thus far is annoyance and aggro
When will Asus release a bios that actually confirms to its advertised qvl listing ?*
You guys really need to get your act together frankly , it’s damaging your brand *

hi there, i use z690 hero + g.skill 6000 + 17 12700kf
have same issue, xmp unstable
still not sure, about board issue or cpu issue, because some people say maybe cpu have weak imc
do you try swap ur cpu already?

Nate152
I personally go by the memory vendors QVL list.

If you do a search, you can find any major motherboard brand having trouble with DDR5 memory. Being Alderlake is the first generation to support high speed DDR5 memory, I'll agree it could be IMC related.

You can raise a few voltages to see if it will stabilize.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Undertoker wrote:

Hello,

Overclocking is never guaranteed, DDR5 is no different. Speeds above 6000MT may require manual tuning on some CPU (most often with VCCSA and Memory Controller VDD)

6400 working on the Apex @ XMP

6200 on the Extreme (@ 1T)

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Personally since I changed my motherboard and its components, I never had a problem with the XMP profiles, on the other hand I always choose only two DDR sticks and never four, better stability and dual channel.

And I always choose kits compatible with my MB listed on the ASUS QVL website.

Ribellu wrote:
Personally since I changed my motherboard and its components, I never had a problem with the XMP profiles, on the other hand I always choose only two DDR sticks and never four, better stability and dual channel.

And I always choose kits compatible with my MB listed on the ASUS QVL website.

hello, i have simmilar specs with you
hero + i7kf+ 3080ti
but when i read ur spec is corsair 5200, do you test memory with speed 6000 already?
because i lowering the speed to 5600 is stable now. but still 6000 cant use until now.