cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What connectors to use? Maximus Z690 Extreme and ROG Strix LC II

simon_leuener
Level 10
Hello Everyone
So I got a ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO and want to connect it on my Maximus Z690 Extreme board.

I have 2 very important questions:

1. What connector to use for the Water-cooling Pump?
-> W_Pump1 (3A/36W) OR CPU_Fan (1A/12W) OR CPU_OPT (1A/12W)?

2.The ROG Stric LC II 360 AIO comes with a daisy-chain cable to connect all 3 120mm Fans.
What connector to use?

-> W_Pump2 (3A/36W) OR CPU_Fan (1A/12W) OR CPU_OPT (1A/12W)?
Do i have to split 2 Fans / 1 Fan on 2 connectors CPU_Fan (1A/12W) and CPU_OPT (1A/12W), since they are only 1A/12W per connector
but 3 Fans?

Please help me out. I not want to burn the connectors or have a wrong/bad control of the AIO as one.

Thank u so much
14 REPLIES 14

Nate152
Hello simon.leueuer

There are two versions of the ROG Strix LC II 360, one has RGB fans the other has ARGB fans.

Which one do you have?

Hello Nate

I have the ARGB one.

https://rog.asus.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-coolers/rog-strix-lc/rog-strix-lc-ii-360-argb-model/

Where to put the ARGB cable is clear, just not the power of pump and fans (or Daisy chain cable if its even possible)

Thank u so much

Nate152
You're welcome,

According to the manual....

You can connect the pump power to the AIO_Pump header or cpu fan header, I'd choose the AIO_Pump header, this should run the pump at 100% and may be configurable. I personally run my pumps at 100%.

Have you connected the usb 2.0 cable as well?

Then, use the 3-way fan splitter cable for fan power and connect this to the cpu fan header.

Let us know how it goes.

Hi Nate. Thank u so much for the help. Please read my answers below.

Nate152 wrote:
According to the manual....
You can connect the pump power to the AIO_Pump header or cpu fan header, I'd choose the AIO_Pump header, this should run the pump at 100% and may be configurable. I personally run my pumps at 100%.
Have you connected the usb 2.0 cable as well?

I've read the manual beforehand. The problem is, the ASUS Maximus Z690 Extreme has no specified AIO_Pump header.
It has W_Pump1 (3A/36W) and W_Pump2 (3A/36W) header but not a specified AIO_Pump header
So would u choose the W_Pump1 (3A/36W) header?

Yes I used the usb 2.0 Cable as on the manual

Nate152 wrote:
Then, use the 3-way fan splitter cable for fan power and connect this to the cpu fan header.

The mentioned 3-way fan splitter with 3 Highspeed fans on CPU_Fan header with (1A/12W)? Its a 1A header not like other boards a 2A or 3A.
Doesn't the 3 Fans have more than 1A/12W combined?
Maybe I could do 2 Fans on CPU_Fan and 1 Fan on CPU_Opt (Since both have 1A/12W each).
What would u choose?

Nate152
Yes, you can use the W_Pump1 header for pump power, this should also run the pump at 100%.

I couldn't find anything for the amperage of the fans but, because the ARGB is powered separately, three fans won't exceed 1 amp.

So, how I would do it is....

Connect the pump power to the W_pump1 header, and the three fans with the 3-way fan power splitter cable connected to the cpu fan header, all three fans will ramp the same according to cpu temperature.

It's perfectly fine, plus it will look nicer using only one cable for the three fans.

WOW THANK U SO MUCH NATE 😄

Nate152 wrote:
Yes, you can use the W_Pump1 header for pump power, this should also run the pump at 100%.

Perfect, will do so

Nate152 wrote:
I couldn't find anything for the amperage of the fans but, because the ARGB is powered separately, three fans won't exceed 1 amp.

I asked, because I had to separate my case Fans (2+1 each). 3 of the beQuiet! PWM 120mm High Speed fans exceed the 1 amp clearly.
And since the AIO Fans are High Speed (3000 rpm) too, I was not sure. I couldn't find Amperage either 😞

Nate152 wrote:
So, how I would do it is....

Connect the pump power to the W_pump1 header, and the three fans with the 3-way fan power splitter cable connected to the cpu fan header, all three fans will ramp the same according to cpu temperature.

It's perfectly fine, plus it will look nicer using only one cable for the three fans.

Perfect answer! Just tell me If I'm so wrong about the "more than 1 AMP with 3 Fans"

Nate152
The specs at Newegg show 2500RPM for the fans.

ASUS knows you'll most likely be connecting it to the cpu fan header, I think a good indication it's ok to put all three fans on the cpu fan header is, they give you a 3-way fan power splitter cable.

I would also think there would be a warning if the three fans exceeded 1 amp.

Thank u so much for the professional, fast and nice help!
I really appreciate it!

Have a good time and stay safe!

Nate152