cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Long Boot time on Asus Rog z790 Maximus Hero

calhawk
Level 7
I have a boot time of over 131 sec, any idea what could make it this long? This is slower than most of my computers in the last 10 years. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

JohnAb
Level 17
So how do your boot times break down? First you have the 'BIOS' phase (or POST process), followed by the Windows loading process where you will often see a logo or spinning circle. On my 690 Hero, it takes approx. 30s for the BIOS and then 15-20s for Windows. These times will vary according to the motherboard and other factors, but yes, your total boot time is longer than usual.

If the POST process is causing the delay, then I would be thinking that some hardware is taking a long time to initialise. In the past, I have seen long delays if an internet connection is not available, but nowadays I think that's unlikely to be the cause.

How does it all behave once in Windows? Could you also describe your hardware and OS please? Not sure I'll have an answer, but knowing where the delays are will be a good start.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Shinchan0125
Level 10
Mine Z790 Hero with 13900K took 26 Sec to see the ASUS Boot screen... but another 12 sec to see windows Logon screen. Total Boot time is 38 Sec to see Windows logon screen. I didnt see any windows boot screen. I have AI Optimize on P and E core. Unlimited Power. Few other adjustment... Fast Boot...on Bios and Windows 11 Fast Startup...

Saltgrass
Level 13
Mine shows around 30 seconds to first lock screen and Task Manager, Startup apps section, shows 16.1 seconds which might include delay signing in.

One thing you might do is watch the LED numbers. If they hesitate on one specific number, it may be involved and the Red, Amber, blank and Green lights should progress from red to green and not backup up.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

My system is :

Intel 13900K
Asus Z790 Maximus Hero with Latest Bios
6400 Ddr5 Trident Z5 Ram 64 Gig 1 Kit
Asus Geforce RTX 4800 Rog OC
Windows 11
Samsung 990 Pro 1tb -This is the boot drive.
All the latest drivers and firmware updates.

It takes almost 100 sec, just to Windows Startup, them it loads in just around 20 sec from that point. It doesn't always take this long sometimes, but it is always longer than normal it seems. And one time it locked up at the Asus Screen and never loaded windows.

calhawk wrote:
My system is :

It takes almost 100 sec, just to Windows Startup, them it loads in just around 20 sec from that point. It doesn't always take this long sometimes, but it is always longer than normal it seems. And one time it locked up at the Asus Screen and never loaded windows.

My system was doing that when it was having memory problems, like the memory not being initialized (54). Currently, I am running XMP in manual mode and it has not failed to boot or shown a BSOD.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

JohnAb
Level 17
OK, so something is causing a delay in the POST process. First, I would simply make sure that the BIOS has been reset to defaults and boot again.

Next, if that's better, try XMP on and see what happens. Elimination of one thing at a time is probably the way to proceed. Do you have anything else plugged in that could be unplugged while you test?

Failing the above, you could try removing the GPU and repeating the boot process, just using the motherboard video output. Hopefully by this stage you will at least know what might be causing the delay...
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.