cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable system after updating to BIOS v1505 for Strix Z690-E

ElectronSpin
Level 7
Hi,

I'm seeing some major instability in my system after updating to BIOS v1505 now. Is anyone else seeing this or is it just me?

I've had great stability running everything at stock settings (i.e. 6000mhz on RAM, default voltages and no CPU overclock etc) since about BIOS version 811. Each time I have updated the BIOS since then I've had no issues until now. I've been using the XMP1 profile the whole time just fine.

Since installing v1505 I get constant crashes booting into Windows 11 or after a few minutes just browsing etc if I can boot into Windows at all. I've tried giving a little more VDD and VDDQ (1.325v each vs 1.3v which was the stock setting for my RAM). I've also tried running XMP2 profile but no joy with the system still crashing constantly. I ran a Memtest86 which passed fine, but Windows still wouldn't run stable. I didn't get to trying running the "RAMTest" program in Windows, but pretty sure it would of failed very fast.

To be able to make this post I've dropped everything back to default settings, so my RAM is now running 4800Mhz and it seems stable so far in terms of me being able to use a browser for more than 2 mins!

Be vert interested to hear other peoples experiences with v1505.

Also any advice on how to downgrade the BIOS would be great... ASUS EzFlash utility in the BIOS won't now read the v1403 BIOS file so I guess I need to take a different approve to downgrading?

Cheers
25 REPLIES 25

joytotheworld wrote:
I'm trying to roll back my asus bios 2004 build to the 1702 build, and when I try to load the file, it says "selected file is not a proper bios" (when it is). :0

You cannot roll back from 2004 to anything earlier. There is a now a warning about that on the download page and a couple threads in the forum confirming / discussing it. If you don't like 2004, the only choice is to wait for something newer.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?130496-OFFICIAL-Bios-ver-2004-will-not-allow-bios-flashbac...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

theroc44
Level 9
Yeah I'd roll back if it's unstable. It happens unfortunately. I'm using z690 extreme with an additional bios. I assumed you had another if not disregard.

Anyone know how to roll back to 1403? BIOS somehow won't let me.

Squall_Leonhart
Level 8
set memory controller to auto or at the same as your sticks vdd.

gskill xmp profile sets 1.1, which is not stable.

Squall Leonhart wrote:

It's been stable for 3 months at 1.1V on BIOS 1304 for me.

Something else has changed in 1505.

Squall Leonhart wrote:

Can you elaborate how not stable when you set it 1:1?

I have the same issue have still 1304 on my Strix D4 because all newer Bios versions are unstable.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

The release notes only include changes for DRAM stability. If you were stable on the previous build there's little reason to update.

Memory and voltage rules may update universally but it's almost impossible to accommodate for all samples due to voltage sensitivity this gen between CPU samples (namely CPU System Agent and Memory Controller VID but far from exhaustive), and to a point memory kits also.

In other words, some CPU samples and memory kits may be impacted negatively by changes to auto rules. When this happens one can either tune the system from scratch or use a UEFI build that has rules the CPU and memory kit are more comfortable using.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I just experienced a similar issue with the Asus Z690-E, Corsair Dominator 6200mhz, Intel 12900K.

Bad case of the boot loops after trying the X.M.P. profile to push manufacturers 6200mhz from the ram. I might add I was stable with ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1304. BIOS 1304 was not stable with X.M.P. I skipped BIOS 1403 and noticed BIOS 1505 was available saying, "1. Improve DRAM stability." So tempted to try X.M.P. with DDR5 was on my mind. I found this video helpful on YouTube regarding DDR5;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KZFeE-o3jo

After testing 1505 using the, "BartmansBits" method. I still found instability with DOMINATOR DDR5 6200Mhz RAM. I'm not raising the voltage in search for stability FYI. I've CMOS my board and the only settings I have changed in BIOS is; MONITOR CPU FAN - DISABLE (for h20 closed loop), SPD WRITE - FALSE (ICUE RGB for RAM).

I've just started to stress test BIOS 1505 with these settings today. So far I'm stable at the Baseline 4800Mhz with the DDR5 DOMINATOR 6200. I'll report back If I experience boot loop crashes.

After a CMOS reset of my BIOS, I ran stable for two days. This morning I have experienced boot looping for an extended period of time. A CMOS reset shouldn't be needed ATM since there are no overclocked hardware devices in the system.

At this moment all I can do is allow the machine to cycle until it is stable to boot and/or roll back bios to a previous version for retesting stability. I would advise others to roll back BIOS to a previous version and for those to avoid BIOS update 1505.

I have to remind myself that my system was stable for 6 months on BIOS Version 1304.