cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UAS / UASP Driver For Windows 10 on Z790 Creator WiFi Motherboard ???

AsusMBFan
Level 8

2024-03-28_17-01-48.png2024-03-28_17-01-02.png2024-03-28_17-00-28.png2024-03-28_16-26-32.png

Please see above png's.

I have a SSD in an OWC external enclosure rated for USB 3.2 Version 2 ( 10 Gbps ) and I am connecting it by USB C to my Asus Z790 Creator WiFi motherboard. I am getting only USB 2.0 speeds. I think the problem is that the UAS / UASP driver is too old, but I cannot find any driver on the internet that will install. I always get the "The driver you have is better than the one you are trying to install" error message.

Please help.

10 REPLIES 10

JohnAb
Level 17

Have you checked that your USB C cable is rated at 10Gbps? A lot of cables are not. 

Z690 Hero, 12900K, BIOS 3501, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Thank you for your reply.

I tried 3 different cables. One was very clearly marked USB 3.1 Super High Speed.

In the two motherboard mounted USB C connectors, the same result as above.

In the front panel mounted USB C connector, the motherboard would not even recognize that anything was plugged in.

I then tried an SSK USB C-SSD thumb drive in the front panel USB C connector and it worked perfectly at 3.2 Speeds, about 420 write and close to 500 MB/s read.

So it really seems like a driver problem.

I could not test the SSK thumb SSD in the motherboard back plane USB C sockets cause the thumb drive has a flip up guard which prevents connecting in the back cause of the raised portion of the case and other cables connected to adjacent sockets.

I will try getting a USB C extension to test the SSK on the back plane connectors.

But I still need some kind of driver fix for the Mercury Elite Pro Mini with the Samsung SSD in it to get it working at USB 3.2 speeds.

OK, cable was just an idea. Two more:

1. Is there a firmware update available for the enclosure? I had an external enclosure that wasn't stable and it was fine after a firmware update.

2. Check out MoKiChU's drivers threads in this forum - go to 'Motherboard Downloads'. He has all of the latest drivers available, so worth taking a look. 

Good luck...

Z690 Hero, 12900K, BIOS 3501, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

I have tried various attempts to fix this and have made less than zero progress.

In summary and NOT in chronological order:

I have updated the Intel Chipset Driver,
the Intel Management Engine,
the Intel Management Engine Interface,
the Intel Serial I/O,
and the Thunderbolt drivers.

I also tried updating the Enclosure firmware, but
I did not understand how to properly save the original firmware,
and I did not understand that station-drivers.com lists firmware chronologically by the DATE OF UPLOAD,
NOT THE DATE OF THE FIRMWARE.
So, I accidently loaded an older firmware.
They did not have a firmware newer than mine, and the firmware of the same date of mine that they had on the site,
had a different checksum, which I think mean't it was for a different enclosure.
I loaded that since I could not get back to my original firmware.
The enclosure still works okay for USB C to USB A 3.1 Gen 1 connections ( 5Gbps ) on my Z790 motherboard,
but still reports USB C to USB C connections on 10 Gbps ports as if they were USB 2.0 with corresponding slow 30 MBps speed.

I connected the enclosure to a laptop with USB C to USB C connection and HWInfo64 shows USB 3.1 Superspeed port on the laptop. So the enclosure is capable of 10 Gbps connections.
So I think I am missing some driver for the Z790 motherboard.

I still cannot find a newer UASPSTOR.SYS to try.
MS Update Catalog has some AS Media drivers, but none of them will load.
They are likely for an AS Media host controller, not an enclosure.

I also got a USB C female to USB C male extension and tried the SSK USB SSD on the back two USB C connectors on the Z790 and it worked fine at 420 MBps and 500 MBps super speeds and the ports show as USB 3.1 Gen 2 in HWInfo 64.
So I am pretty sure the USB C hardware ports on the Z790 are okay.

So I have made no progress and I have a firmware now on the enclosure that works no worse, is the same date as what I started, but is mean't for a different enclosure.

There are later firmwares on a Russian website, but I am afraid of trying them because they say that the activity led will no longer work if you use them.
That does not sound like a good match.

Does anyone know what driver(s) I am missing and where I can get it(them) ?

TIA

I have tried various attempts to fix this and have made less than zero progress.

In summary and NOT in chronological order:

I have updated the Intel Chipset Driver,
the Intel Management Engine,
the Intel Management Engine Interface,
the Intel Serial I/O,
and the Thunderbolt drivers.

I also tried updating the Enclosure firmware, but
I did not understand how to properly save the original firmware,
and I did not understand that station-drivers.com lists firmware chronologically by the DATE OF UPLOAD,
NOT THE DATE OF THE FIRMWARE.
So, I accidently loaded an older firmware.
They did not have a firmware newer than mine, and the firmware of the same date of mine that they had on the site,
had a different checksum, which I think mean't it was for a different enclosure.
I loaded that since I could not get back to my original firmware.
The enclosure still works okay for USB C to USB A 3.1 Gen 1 connections ( 5Gbps ) on my Z790 motherboard,
but still reports USB C to USB C connections on 10 Gbps ports as if they were USB 2.0 with corresponding slow 30 MBps speed.

I connected the enclosure to a laptop with USB C to USB C connection and HWInfo64 shows USB 3.1 Superspeed port on the laptop.
So I think I am missing some driver for the Z790.

I still cannot find a newer UASPSTOR.SYS to try.
MS Update Catalog has some AS Media drivers, but none of them will load.
They are likely for an AS Media host controller, not an enclosure.

I also got a USB C female to USB C male extension and tried the SSK USB SSD on the back two USB C connectors and it worked fine at 420 MBps and 500 MBps super speeds and the ports show as USB 3.1 Gen 2 in HWInfo 64.
So I am pretty sure the USB C hardware ports on the Z790 are okay.

So I have made no progress and I have a firmware now on the enclosure that works no worse, is the same date as what I started, but is mean't for a different enclosure.

There are later firmwares on a Russian website, but I am afraid of trying them because they say that the activity led will no longer work if you use them.
That does not sound like a good match.

Does anyone know what driver I am missing and where I can get it ?

TIA

I got my firmware from the enclosure manufacturer's website, but support varies. Maybe your problem is drivers related, so I've listed all of my installed drivers below. Broadly, most drivers should be similar for your board. Are you aware of MoKiChU's drivers threads? He supplies more recent drivers than on the support pages, see the following link: 

https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/hardware-build-advice/index-all-my-drivers-firmware-software-threads/m...

You'll have to spend some time finding the right versions for your board and hardware of course...

JohnAb_0-1712244707859.png

Dear JohnAB,

Thank you. This is a treasure trove of information. I will dig through all of it, but it is way "above my pay grade." If anyone else knows what direction for me to look in, any further guidance is appreciated. The  Thunderbolt drivers seem the most likely culprit, but I did update them with MoKiChU's package and still had the same problem, so there must be something else I am missing.

An ASUS motherboard is like owning a Ferrari. Joy to drive, headache to maintain. 😉

Thanks again.

JohnAB, one other question.     How did you generate the list in your post?

I would like to generate a similar list to compare and maybe post in case you or someone can spot something obvious to you but not obvious to me.

Thanks.

Sure - I did it manually in Excel over time. Once done, easy to update. You might find a programme called Driver Store Explorer useful. It's free and will list all current drivers, sorted by name or version number.