cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TUF GAMING Z790-PRO WIFI | BIOS 1604 update issue - Selected file is not a proper BIOS

HCGxKaLiBeR
Level 8

I have TUF GAMING Z790-PRO WIFI

BIOS file is from the offical site

https://www.asus.com/us/motherboards-components/motherboards/tuf-gaming/tuf-gaming-z790-pro-wifi/hel...

I've owned multiple ASUS MOBOs and done BIOS update more than a dozen times. This is the first time it is giving me an error.   

idk what is wrong or what am I missing.  Any idea?? 

HCGxKaLiBeR_0-1703880380708.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I bookmarked the webpage as I've already updated it once.  Also checked it several times in case it is the wrong file but no. 

Though I got the it to work in the end.... I was using the Windows 11 built-in tool for extraction. For whatever reason, it somehow mess up the file and Updater tool won't take it.  I then extracted it with WinRAR worked for me.  So weird.  Definitely a first one for me lol

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JohnAb
Level 17

I had a similar problem on my B550 motherboard. I was actually on the wrong motherboard page with an almost identical name, so double check. I was trying for over an hour until the penny dropped, lol. I was on the B550 WiFi page, not the B550 Wifi II page.

Otherwise, download again, extract the .CAP file, place in the root of a FAT32 formatted USB stick and hopefully that will work OK if you use EZ Flash 3 from the BIOS. If you do it that way, you won't need to rename the file, although you can do. 

It's a very good idea to turn off XMP before the update for maximum stability. A crash halfway through the BIOS update could leave you very sad. 

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

I bookmarked the webpage as I've already updated it once.  Also checked it several times in case it is the wrong file but no. 

Though I got the it to work in the end.... I was using the Windows 11 built-in tool for extraction. For whatever reason, it somehow mess up the file and Updater tool won't take it.  I then extracted it with WinRAR worked for me.  So weird.  Definitely a first one for me lol

FrankieB
Level 9

Hello,

I updated BIOS 1601 to 1604 and all went well. 

I had to reset fan profiles and XMP back to profile 1 but all went well.

i7 13700kf with 64gb ddr5 @6000mhz 

PEACE

I also just updated from 1601 to 1604 on a B760M motherboard.  No issues and RAM is running at full speed (3200Mhz DDR4) after enabling XMP.  

weaselciuy
Level 9

maybe it did not rename the file properly after extraction or it was done in-archive. Eitherway, weiiiird but it could have been worse & have to use the bios images to restore, yuck!

*I never turned off XMP or any other settings, new bios always resets whole thing to basics. But I can see your pov. Thank God for bios profiles to USB!!!! Big Brain who added that feat.

----------------------

Old School PC Troubleshooter, 386 Cyrix time