cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI - BIOS Update Question

AlGat
Level 8

I just bought this PC (see components in signature).  I did a clean Windows re-install and got all drivers, etc updated.  Also installed my core programs such as office, etc.  So far everything seems to be running good with not glitches that I have found.

It still has BIOS version 1402 which was released 2023/09/19.  I see there have been 6 updates released since then.  The current version is version 1641 released 2024/02/29.

I am not having any issues, and I am not one to update BIOS just because there is a new version - I am of the old school "If it isn't broken then don't fix it".  But with 6 versions released, I am inclined to update it.  The current update is almost 2 months old, and I have done Google searches on the current version.  I am pretty confident that flashing the 1641 version should go smoothly.

I am posting to ask if there is anything I should know or any precautions I should take before doing it?

• Intel Core i7-13700KF
• Asus ROG STRIX RTX 4070Ti OC 12GB
• Asus TUF Gaming Z790 Plus Wifi
• ADATA 32 GB (2 x 16GB) XPG Lancer RGB DDR5 6400mhz running @ 6000mhz
• 1TB WD Black SN850 NVMe m.2
• 2TB Western Digital Blue 2.5" SSD (SATA)
• 4TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD (SATA)
• Windows 11 Pro
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gamestress
Level 9

Well count version 1645 as the current version today and you will be behind even further 😉
As I found out when flashing the bios and that is the one thing you should now is:

Note of caution:
The BIOS settings will be factory defaulted including your fan profiles.
As I was used in upgrading BIOS without interfering with my settins I was surprised it does now.

As I do have explicit non default settings configured in the BIOS I did write all my settings down and reapply them immediately after updating the BIOS. And with immediately I mean not booting into Windows until my settings are applied. This because I strictly disable some devices as SATA/WiFi/Soundcard/SERIAL etc. and therefore I dont want Windows to detect these devices when I havent  disabled them in the BIOS.
So yes thats a note to me at least when flashing the BIOS.

Also here is my list of settings:

Educated guesses and philosophy why I choose these settings:

• Disable devices not in use to free resources and potential system instability (less drivers to maintain)
    Therefore be sure not to boot into Windows before disabling them again right after flashing the bios.
  • I assume ASUS knows its products and therefore applies overall default stable system settings (exception is the AI Tweaker and Armory Crate settings).
  • Care for system stability and don't care (yet) for overclocking but exception in using XMP Profiles (factory support sort of overclock for memory).
  • As it might be possible to save and reapply all settings but I would prefer to manually set them again. It might be possible that new (better) default settings are applied with a new BIOS update so loading a previous save of all bios settings would revert also these new factory defaults. Manually does only change the settings you would like to see changed.

BIOS Settings manually applied every time just after flashing the BIOS:

• Ai Tweaker | ASUS MultiCore Enhancement | Disabled -> Enforce All Limits
    Just my personal opinion not to overclock outside specs. Keeps the (aircooled) CPU cool.
    Also latest instability reports 'deteriorating CPU's' seem also linked to this setting if enabled.
  • Advanced | PCH Storage Configuration | SATA Controller(s) -> Disabled
    All SSD, so no need for SATA device / driver loaded. Frees up resources.
  • Advanced | Thermal Configuration | Intel(R) Dynamic Tuning Technology | Enabled
    Just enabled this for DTT support (Best CPU core/cache select supported games) now also for i13700K processor.
  • Advanced | APM Configuration | ErP Ready -> Enable(S4+S5)
    Lower power usage when power off computer
  • Advanced | Onboard Devices Configuration | HD Audio -> Disabled
    All USB Headset so no need for audio device / driver loaded. Frees up resources.
  • Advanced | Onboard Devices Configuration | Connectivity mode (Wi-Fi & Bluetooth) -> Disabled
    Ethernet cable so no use WiFi or BT, frees up resources.
  • Advanced | Onboard Devices Configuration | GNA Device | Enabled
    Just enabled this, it seems it's a coprocessor and takes no resources when not in use.
  • Advanced | Onboard Devices Configuration | Serial Port Configuration | Serial Port -> Disabled
    I guess not even available so to free up resources disabled.
  • Boot | Secure Boot | OS Type -> Windows UEFI mode
    (1/2 setting retained when flashing firmware, optimized defaults does reset this)
  • Boot | Secure Boot | Secure Boot Mode -> Standard
    (2/2 setting retained when flashing firmware, optimized defaults does reset this)
  • Boot | Boot Configuration | Fast Boot -> Disabled
    Better stable full booting Windows then the hybrid thing (feels less stable) also powercfg.exe -h off in Windows
  • Boot | Boot Configuration | Boot Logo Display | POST Delay Time -> 0 sec
    Well, here you can shave off some booting delay
  • Tool | ASUS Armory Crate | Download & Install ARMORY CRATE app -> Disabled
    The horror, when enabled a UEFI device will be created and this ****** will be downloaded automatically. Not even manually I would think of installing this.

Save and reboot

• XMP Profile 1
    Enables memory overclocking

Save and reboot

• ASUS Q-fan tuning
    I don't have a liquid cooler but connected a case fan to this position. So must tune this from always 100% to the other casefan profiles.

Save and reboot

Have fun and I think flashing your BIOS will benefit, just keep note of your BIOS settings 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Gamestress
Level 9

Well count version 1645 as the current version today and you will be behind even further 😉
As I found out when flashing the bios and that is the one thing you should now is:

Note of caution:
The BIOS settings will be factory defaulted including your fan profiles.
As I was used in upgrading BIOS without interfering with my settins I was surprised it does now.

As I do have explicit non default settings configured in the BIOS I did write all my settings down and reapply them immediately after updating the BIOS. And with immediately I mean not booting into Windows until my settings are applied. This because I strictly disable some devices as SATA/WiFi/Soundcard/SERIAL etc. and therefore I dont want Windows to detect these devices when I havent  disabled them in the BIOS.
So yes thats a note to me at least when flashing the BIOS.

Also here is my list of settings:

Educated guesses and philosophy why I choose these settings:

• Disable devices not in use to free resources and potential system instability (less drivers to maintain)
    Therefore be sure not to boot into Windows before disabling them again right after flashing the bios.
  • I assume ASUS knows its products and therefore applies overall default stable system settings (exception is the AI Tweaker and Armory Crate settings).
  • Care for system stability and don't care (yet) for overclocking but exception in using XMP Profiles (factory support sort of overclock for memory).
  • As it might be possible to save and reapply all settings but I would prefer to manually set them again. It might be possible that new (better) default settings are applied with a new BIOS update so loading a previous save of all bios settings would revert also these new factory defaults. Manually does only change the settings you would like to see changed.

BIOS Settings manually applied every time just after flashing the BIOS:

• Ai Tweaker | ASUS MultiCore Enhancement | Disabled -> Enforce All Limits
    Just my personal opinion not to overclock outside specs. Keeps the (aircooled) CPU cool.
    Also latest instability reports 'deteriorating CPU's' seem also linked to this setting if enabled.
  • Advanced | PCH Storage Configuration | SATA Controller(s) -> Disabled
    All SSD, so no need for SATA device / driver loaded. Frees up resources.
  • Advanced | Thermal Configuration | Intel(R) Dynamic Tuning Technology | Enabled
    Just enabled this for DTT support (Best CPU core/cache select supported games) now also for i13700K processor.
  • Advanced | APM Configuration | ErP Ready -> Enable(S4+S5)
    Lower power usage when power off computer
  • Advanced | Onboard Devices Configuration | HD Audio -> Disabled
    All USB Headset so no need for audio device / driver loaded. Frees up resources.
  • Advanced | Onboard Devices Configuration | Connectivity mode (Wi-Fi & Bluetooth) -> Disabled
    Ethernet cable so no use WiFi or BT, frees up resources.
  • Advanced | Onboard Devices Configuration | GNA Device | Enabled
    Just enabled this, it seems it's a coprocessor and takes no resources when not in use.
  • Advanced | Onboard Devices Configuration | Serial Port Configuration | Serial Port -> Disabled
    I guess not even available so to free up resources disabled.
  • Boot | Secure Boot | OS Type -> Windows UEFI mode
    (1/2 setting retained when flashing firmware, optimized defaults does reset this)
  • Boot | Secure Boot | Secure Boot Mode -> Standard
    (2/2 setting retained when flashing firmware, optimized defaults does reset this)
  • Boot | Boot Configuration | Fast Boot -> Disabled
    Better stable full booting Windows then the hybrid thing (feels less stable) also powercfg.exe -h off in Windows
  • Boot | Boot Configuration | Boot Logo Display | POST Delay Time -> 0 sec
    Well, here you can shave off some booting delay
  • Tool | ASUS Armory Crate | Download & Install ARMORY CRATE app -> Disabled
    The horror, when enabled a UEFI device will be created and this ****** will be downloaded automatically. Not even manually I would think of installing this.

Save and reboot

• XMP Profile 1
    Enables memory overclocking

Save and reboot

• ASUS Q-fan tuning
    I don't have a liquid cooler but connected a case fan to this position. So must tune this from always 100% to the other casefan profiles.

Save and reboot

Have fun and I think flashing your BIOS will benefit, just keep note of your BIOS settings 🙂

Thank you.  That is a lot of information to digest.  Appreciate the time and effort it took to type it.

• Intel Core i7-13700KF
• Asus ROG STRIX RTX 4070Ti OC 12GB
• Asus TUF Gaming Z790 Plus Wifi
• ADATA 32 GB (2 x 16GB) XPG Lancer RGB DDR5 6400mhz running @ 6000mhz
• 1TB WD Black SN850 NVMe m.2
• 2TB Western Digital Blue 2.5" SSD (SATA)
• 4TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD (SATA)
• Windows 11 Pro